excellent throw light 50 dollers and under

blazin

Newly Enlightened
Is there a flashlight, probally from dealextreme, thats has a very far throw, for under 50 dollers, cheaper the better. I dont care to much about how big it is, the bigger it is, dosent matter. Thanks!

mighty82

Enlightened
This one i think is the best thrower on dx (exept maybe the tiablo a9): http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8686
It uses 2x18650 batts, and have more than 4 hours regulated output. There's several single 18650 lights that has about the same beam pattern and output, but they all have buck circuits, so regualtion will be bad because of the singel battery.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Lux is a great light for $28. It has good throw and nice spill too. Very nice tint. Almost indestructable. Made in USA with a lifetime warranty.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
maxstarfm4.jpg

just got this at a thrift store for $2 and it throws like nobody's business.
just thought I'd bragg.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
maxstarfm4.jpg

just got this at a thrift store for $2 and it throws like nobody's business.
just thought I'd bragg.

X2, If you want throw for $50, go for a spotlight/searchlight of some sort. Not sure if you can get an HIG in that price range but Halogen bulbs are common.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For something smaller size, the WF-600, WF-800, or their Aurora Q5 counter parts should be the best throwers, much more then the Taskforce (IIRC 6000-8000 lux vs 15000+ lux).

For something larger, you might be able to find the Sams Club HID for under $50 shipped.

There are also some incan lights and/or mods that might work.

blazin

Newly Enlightened
So for long throw and clear beam the UF wf-600 and wf-800 or the aurora counterparts are my best bet. < someone said something about a 3watt led type light, is that comparable? I dont want a spotlight, i want a flashlight with spotlight like beam. some spill is fine.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Taskforce has around 6,000 lux at 1 meter(from what I remember, long thread). Good amount of throw and can be bought at your local Lowes if you are in the US.

The WF-600 has around 15,000 lux at 1 meter so it would throw further the Taskforce, but it would take longer to ship from DX(2 weeks minimal). As for the Aurora counterparts, I don't think the HAIII and Q5 is worth the extra price.

You'll need 18650 batteries and a charger for the WF-600 though. That would run you around $45 shipped total(more if you get this charger).

The Taskforce would be cheaper, faster to get to you(if you are in the US) but won't throw as far.

Up to you to choose which one would be better.

Ray Tseng

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Lux is a great light for $28. It has good throw and nice spill too. Very nice tint. Almost indestructable. Made in USA with a lifetime warranty.

Off topic, but the "almost" of your statement came true for me. My SL PP4AA died after the provided Energizer batteries leaked (no strange conditions, just sitting on the shelf). Battery fluids made some strange chemical brew that reacted and etched the metal in the reflector, the lens and the light engine parts. Even after trying to clean up multiple times soap and water, a very strong chemical smell persisted, the light was dim, and I had to chuck it.
I know energizer has a warranty and probably would've given me a check for $28 but not worth the effort and I didn't followup.

Moral of my long-winded story Even an "indestructable" flashlight is only as good as your weakest link (in this case, unlucky batch of batteries).