Help me pick out a general purpose flashlight

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
I always light flashlights but never discovered the itch for super bright light until recently. I have a lot of el cheapo lights (probably 7) purchased over the years and realize that one good LED lights can easily replace them all. I do have 2 el cheapo LEDs flashlights that have 18 first generation LEDs, so they are brighter than the mini-mag they replace but not as bright as my rifle mount light, which is 80 lumens but not LED, so I am not sure how long the bulb last and the exact run-time.

So I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and somewhat narrow my selection down to 3 choices. The first two are the SF 6PL and G2L. I can't tell the different between them beside price, casing material, and slightly different run-time. My question are:

1) What advantage does a 6PL has over the G2L? Does it have brightness adjustment?
2) Can any of these two light accept red-lense adapter? I saw some adapter from battery junction but it states compatibility with only 6P and G2 and other non LED light.
3) Can I get a strike bezel for either one of these?
4) Can either one use rechargeable battery? I notice these 123 batteries are pricey and like to cut down on cost. My experience with rechargeable AA battery has been horrible as most of them don't work every well, if at all.

I do like the metal construction of the 6PL better and the package comes with 2 extra batteries so the $20 different in price can be overlooked due to upgradability of the 6PL that I have read about on here.

The last choice is the Lowes LEDs light that someone just discussed going for $29.99 that I think takes 2 C batteries. I can't a discription of that light to know how big it is.

I plan on letting my wife keep it in her purse for emergency so brightness and long run-time of the new generation LEDs from SF are very useful.

Thanks.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If you want a great light and want to use easy to find and cheap batteries go to the fenix web site and check out the L2d it's a great bright light.

bspofford

Enlightened
If you want something like the 6PL, you should consider a SolarForce L2 with a one or five-mode R2 and stainless steel bezel. You can get a clicky tailcap, AR glass and stainless steel bezel model on eBay for about $40, and the quality is great. My favorite seller is airsupply, and they will probably include a holster and batteries with your order.

bspofford

Enlightened
Another incredibly versatile light that you may want to consider is the DereeLight CL1H with a 3SD module. This is a very high quality light that could last a lifetime, and you can upgrade the P60 module in the future at a reasonable cost ($10-$30). The host is HAIII finish and has AR glass, forward clicky and great clip. If you think of it as a long-term investment, the light costs under $10 per year.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a great light and want to use easy to find and cheap batteries go to the fenix web site and check out the L2d it's a great bright light.
I agree 100%!!!

The Fenix L2D is an AMAZING light, so versatile and bright with AAs. I use rechargeable AAs with them and the L2D must be seen and held to be believed.

I love it so much I'm this close to ordering a second one.

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
this is very nice light guys. you've outdone yourself with recommendation. i am looking for a good price and will pick it up. AA is nice to have as they're widely available from wally world to el cheapo gas station, which makes camping very easy.

can i get it w/ strike bezel top. i like the 175 lumen turbo mode for SOS situation and AA cheap enough to have a pack of 10 or 20 per camping trip and at least 2 in the car.

fenixl2d01.jpg

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are also some good lights on DX if you are looking to buy gifts/beater lights(Cree/Seoul/Rebel, look for good reviews). The RC-N3 has a forward clickie, unlike the majority of the LED lights on the market(Could be good for your wife, minimag size and easy to use, quality is also good). But shipping is really show, 2 weeks to a month or more depending on the availability.

I don't think there are strike bezels for the L2D form Fenix, but I have seen some after market ones. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

Rechargeables are best for high output LED lights like the Fenix L2D. Alkalines have too much internal resistance to give a good runtime. Look here, alkalines gave 40 minutes on max and rechargeables(probably the Duracell 2650 mAh) gave 1 hour 50 minutes.

As for your questions:
1) The 6PL has a full metal body, more heatsinking for the heat that the LED creates. No output adjustment.
2) I think Surefire themselves make red filters for the 6P/G2 lights.
3) There is the 6PD, which then you can add the P60L or any other P60 drop-ins to convert it to LED. Most of the aftermarket drop-ins are brighter then the P60L, the LEDs are driven harder(but still within the safe zone).
4) 2 RCR123 batteries work fine for the P60L. Other drop-ins have different voltage ranges. The good brands of AA batteries(Eneloops, Duracell and similar) should be a lot more durable and reliable then what you had.

If you are looking for output, I'd buy a P60 accepting light and a drop-in instead of the 6PL or G2L. The Dereelight CL1H is also a good choice.

:welcome:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend a small single cell light for a purse light. Women with nails will prefer a twisty - click switches aren't generally manicure friendly.

If you want a small self-defense light Surefire will be releasing the E2DL in about 3 weeks.

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
does anyone has any experience regarding:

Trade Craft
™K2 LED Flashlight. with Lanyard, 2 pk. Super-bright LEDs boost battery life. and never need replacing. Batteries. included. SKU 658537 $29.99 ... 2 flashlight for $30 140 lumens

i saw at at bj and almost bought it but never heard of tradecraft brand before and didn't want to be suckered into a junk light like my the flood light and led lights i bought from advance auto part. this k2 led light claims 140 lumens, which is very bright but i can't verify these number unless it is from a reputable company.

i also saw a leatherman flashlight from costco for $28 that has high lumens rating but can't really tell if it is good. it think it has 120 lumens and also use AAA.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point :laughing:

Maybe a side clickie would work better then the twistie, less motion involved.

My wife is the CFO at our company - she's the one who taught me this. She recommends(and EDC's) the LumaPower F1 ; pretty, twisty, small, bright, good runtime on AA, floody and it fits into the lipstick holder in a purse.

Nick - I think Trade Craft is the BJ's house brand - like Task Force for Lowes. The Trade Craft K2 lights that I googled looked to be made by Shing Fung Mfring of China. That pretty much means at 2 for $30 you're getting what you paid for; lousy machinging and a switch that fails in 6 months. Also, be careful of the 140 lumens on the box - does it say 140 lumen output or 140 lumen LED? (One is the output of the light, the other the maximum capcbility of the LED, this is a marketing game even Mag has played).

Based on what you've said so far and if you called in for my advice I'd tell you to buy A LumaPower F1 or LM31 for your wife (both ~$28-45) and maybe a TerraLUX LightStar3 for yourself/around the house ($28). If you want just 1 light an Inova T1 is beautifully made here in the US, small, has 100 real lumens and a lifetime warranty.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on Formula F1 for wife, that is a sexy light i wished had a 2aa body and get yourself L2d

Last edited:

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
I carry a l1p for work use,it's had a few good drops and hasen't failed me yet it's small and practical with good runtime on a single aa.

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
is the output lumen rating a number one should be concern with? i see a lot of lights out there, especially no-name and mag drop-in, with very high lumen rating. i saw a 3 AA mini-mag with 3-watt LED and wasn't sure what to make of its output. of course, most light can't be tested and verify until it's too late to return them.

i just put in a purchase for l2d on batteryjunction.com. i am still unsure what to get for my wife so she'll use that in the meantime. i have a lot of el cheapo and 1 very good weapon light to use for the house.

i can't stand looking at incan lights as i see them as dinosaur technology now, similar for a big block V8 producing a meager hp output easily matched by today's V6 or even some I-4.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Some numbers are false while others are calculated/at the LED. A few companies do post real out the front lumen though. Generally, most give at the LED/calculated lumen. If it looks too high of a lumen rating, it probably is(mostly for eBay sellers).

I didn't know BatteryJunction had the L2D, they have the L2P though. You can double the output(at least double) and no loss in runtime buy swapping in a current gen LED. The L2P, though still a decent light, uses a last gen LED the Luxeon I.

Did you want the L2D-CE Q5?

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
batteryjunction only has L2p thats the old luxeon unless matts got stock we are not aware of :p you can get L2d here use cpf coupon " cpf8 " for 8% off

and get Formula F1 from batteryjunction for wife " cpf2006 " coupon

switch you order at batteryjunction for F1

mejesster

Newly Enlightened
A few notes on incans before you write them off completely:
-They do get really bright, brighter than LEDs in comparable hosts
-Color reproduction is better with incans. There are many threads on here that discuss this problem, especially in a medical context
I have no doubt that LED manufacturers will work out these problems (brightness is fast on the rise!) but incans are still a valid flashlight solution for some needs.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
-They do get really bright, brighter than LEDs in comparable hosts

Actually thats not stricly true..it depends on the host size. For example, you cant show me an incan light that uses only two Cr123As (not RCR123A) that is brighter then a Tiablo, or a Malkoff with the same 2x CR123A. Granted, the OP wants rechargables, so maybe LF bulbs and RCR123As are a viable solution.

Of course once you start hitting levels of light beyond 300-400 lumens, Single LED lights dont do that.....yet..:D (ROP much? mine will be done soon:twothumbs: )

nick__45,
mind if i ask, do you have a specific need for a stike bezel?
if not, the L2D is pretty perfect, it has a red and a questionalbly designed, but very functional red or white diffuser available.Free shipping world wide too. The L2D is a great light from a great manufacturor, all the same, dont rush! theres plenty of literature to read up on before making the purchase, be sure to read the welcome mat..:)

I would recommend the Fenix Tk10 for an overall usage light. Great throw, great output, nice and grippy, you could use it as a weapon light too, and you could also use rechargables if you want.

Crenshaw

Last edited: