CR123 Voltage Question

1011Tristar

Newly Enlightened
Buffalo, NY & Franklin, MA (Boston 'burb)
The other day I noticed that my Inova T2 (older version) had gotten quite dim, and that it was bright when first turned on, and then dimmed out after about half a second. So, I replaced the batteries, and things were back to normal. I checked the voltage of the two cells after I replaced them, and they both measured 2.85 volts. My question is: what is the usable voltage range of the cells in that light? Since the light is regulated, shouldn't they still put out good light well below 2.85 volts?

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put the original batteries in the light and leave it turned on for a full minute. Then remove the batteries and immediately check the voltage. You'll probably get a reading of around 2.6v.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently ran a surefire 123 down further than any other 123 i've ever had. It was in a SMJLED light for over a year, ran for several days straight at one point (I am pretty sure this is correct) Then put it in a light with a MM+ driver. Once it had run for well over an hour in there it wasn't putting much light out anymore, so I checked it before I tossed it. 2.85V. I figure that must be about as low as they go. That same light engine can run on a fairly low AA, so I think that the surefire cell must have been pretty spent at this point.

Maybe the T2 can suck it lower, but I think the madmax probably got pretty much all it could out of there.

schiesz

HKJ

Flashaholic
The problem is that the battery is not loaded when your measure the voltage.
It might keep up the voltage, but it will not deliver enough current to drive anything (except maybe a very weak led).