Does any manufacturer offer a poor man's version of the guardian?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which make & model of similar size would you say has the most brightness-for-the-buck? I'm not worried about runtime, just looking for maximum brightness in proportions similar to a standard 2D or 2C size flashlight (but using any type of batteries). I'm obviously not expecting surefire quality here, though I would prefer it be aluminum at least.

BTW I realize the supercharged maglites are what I'm describing, but mods are just not for me. I would however consider simple part swaps that are within manufacturer's guidelines. Alternatively, pointing me to a guardian half-price sale would be acceptable.

:laughing:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The easiest for the 2C/2D would be a ROP mod(actually more output then the M6). They aren't hard to make and the ROP doesn't require any soldering. Swap the window(plastic -> glass) and reflector(Plastic -> Aluminum), drop in the bulb, put in the batteries and you are good to go.

The Ultrafire WF-500/WF-600 might work, not M6 performance but good for the price. You'll need 18650 batteries and charger.

:welcome:

kavvika

Enlightened
FM 700L

I just re-read your post, but this is still a pretty simple mod.

It really is a poor-mans M6, and has the same form-factor.

Last edited:

importculture

Newly Enlightened
I keep hearing bad things about Dealextreme.com but you could try a romisen RC-T5 with 4 cree leds. It's pretty affordable and features full power, half power and a slow strobe function. I've heard people having problems with their lights, but I haven't had a problem with mine. It has very good throw and one of the brightest side spill I've seen due to the 4 crees and reflector. It can range in size due to it's modular design. It uses 3cr123's but comes with an extension that allows you to use 4cr123's.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep hearing bad things about Dealextreme.com but you could try a romisen RC-T5 with 4 cree leds. It's pretty affordable and features full power, half power and a slow strobe function. I've heard people having problems with their lights, but I haven't had a problem with mine. It has very good throw and one of the brightest side spill I've seen due to the 4 crees and reflector. It can range in size due to it's modular design. It uses 3cr123's but comes with an extension that allows you to use 4cr123's.

There are thousands of CPFers who buy from DX without problem.

Kraid

Enlightened
I recommend the Wolf-Eyes 13V Rattlesnake with the LF EO-13. 700 Lumens. Uses 3x 18500 or 3x18650s. So, like a skinny 3C Mag.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I recommend the Wolf-Eyes 13V Rattlesnake with the LF EO-13. 700 Lumens. Uses 3x 18500 or 3x18650s. So, like a skinny 3C Mag.

If I didn't have an M6, that's the light I'd go with.

Most likely pick the 3x18500 version, since 3x18650s is like 6xCR123s laid end to end. That's a very long light.

The 700 lumens is emitter lumens. I've heard from another CPFer (mdocod) that you get closer to 400 lumens out the front. An M6 is 500 lumens. Considering the price tag of that Wolf-Eyes set up, that's still a sweet deal.

Check out Pacific Tactical Solutions for this light.
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't find the thread.....but I made a poor mans M6 by cutting a Maglite body down and welding a C-M adaptor to the top. I never got it bored out to fit a battery pack though.

Its ugly, but it could work....

IcantC

Enlightened
If you do not mind building, build a ROP. It just requires swapping parts, no soldering or fancy work. ROP high seems to be close, though outdoors the M6 outshines the ROP.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
mods

Well I do have a 3c maglite that I understand you don't need battery carrier for, but apparently that mod requires physical alterations to the body/tailcap itself. Might try it sometime in the future if I'm feeling brave (I've read how easy it is to make bombs instead).

Thanks all for the suggestions, quite a range of lights in this size anyways. I especially like what wolf-eyes offers. Hard anodized bodies and good performance for the money, but made in china affordable (I can't believe they make an LED that size brighter than the GUARDIAN, with a longer run time and almost as expensive of course).

So I've looked at some reviews and beam-shot comparisons, but would be nice to find a few in b&m to get a feel for quality. Guess they don't sell many of these types in academy, gander mountain, oshman's etc? Not to turn on, just to get a feel for quality.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Re: mods

So I've looked at some reviews and beam-shot comparisons, but would be nice to find a few in b&m to get a feel for quality. Guess they don't sell many of these types in academy, gander mountain, oshman's etc? Not to turn on, just to get a feel for quality.

Never seen a Wolf-Eyes model sold in a B&M shop. And I don't believe they are.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

For the 3C you can get 3 C sized Li-ion batteries, a charger(or two), a few 1185 bulbs, a bi-pin adapter, a metal reflector, and a glass window.

With those parts, you can build a Mag85.

No modification of the maglite is needed. Swapping some plastic parts for metal/glass ones yes, but no soldering, no boring, no irreversible alterations(after you see the light run, I doubt you would want to go back).

Very few stores in the US carries Wolfeye flashlights.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

For the 3C you can get 3 C sized Li-ion batteries, a charger(or two), a few 1185 bulbs, a bi-pin adapter, a metal reflector, and a glass window.

With those parts, you can build a Mag85.

No modification of the maglite is needed. Swapping some plastic parts for metal/glass ones yes, but no soldering, no boring, no irreversible alterations(after you see the light run, I doubt you would want to go back).

Very few stores in the US carries Wolfeye flashlights.
Well, PTS is an stellar one-stop shop for Wolf-Eyes products. I can get everything I need with them. But I have no idea about where or how can I get special bi-pin adapters, Welch Allyn bulbs and reflectors especially designed for Mags. Nor do I know how to charge a C-sized Li-Ion, much less 3 at the same time!!

Taking the Wolf-Eyes route is much simpler than messing with Mods that you need to fish for parts. Mods are just not turn-key like buying a complete flashlight kit.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always post a WTB for a used M6. For around half the price of a new one, you'll probably end up with an M6 showing a few scratches/dents/dings, but it will still be bright :eek:

Regards,
Tempest