CMG question

FBA

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,can anyone help me with these few questions regarding CMG reactor.
How much current does the 3AA CMG reactor draws from rechargeable batteries?Let say at about 4.2v(fresh from the charger).I know my 2AA CMG draws about 350ma from 2AA new Energizer Lithium.I ran my CMG on 3AA rechargeable Sanyo 2100ma and it draws 1100mah and reduces with time gradually.I can feel the CMG head starts to warm after about running for 90 seconds.Does this happens to the 3AA CMG?If it does , is it safe to run the 3AA CMG continuously without overheating?
And lets say if I add a regulator to supply a constant 700ma.Will the LS led gets overheat at this rating?Assuming I'm using the CMG original head.
Lastly if the 1 watt LS is fix in a 3 C cell Maglight with proper heatsink,does it get overheat at 700ma?(I'm thinking of breaking open my CMG and use the LS led,cause the CMG on-off-head-turning-switch is driving me crazy.
I know there are experts out there.Need your opinions.Million thanks in advance.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much current does the 3AA CMG reactor draw from rechargable batteries?

Depending on each LS, they can be anything from 200ma to 1000 ma. Because some luxeon stars have very low forward voltage. But they do have a resistor inside to cut down voltage. As for if they cut down voltage enough specificaly for each and every LS, meaning a different value resistor for each and every light, I'm not so sure. But I think they have one standard resistance for all lights.

I ran my CMG on 3AA rechargeable Sanyo 2100ma and it draws 1100mah and reduces with time gradually.I can feel the CMG head starts to warm after about running for 90 seconds.Does this happens to the 3AA CMG?

Its normal for the head to get warm. Since the LS must be cooled, the heat is drawn away by the body which if otherwise, it would burn up.

And lets say if I add a regulator to supply a constant 700ma.Will the LS led gets overheat at this rating?Assuming I'm using the CMG original head.

With the 2AA Reactor, I think the possibility for overheating is very high because it's plastic. Plus if you add a regulator, you're wasting a lot of power since the regulator has to pump the voltage higher than usual since there is a resistor inside each and every light. With the 3AA Reactor 3, the chance of overheating is still there, but much less reduced since the entire body is constructed of metal (aluminium I think)

Lastly if the 1 watt LS is fix in a 3 C cell Maglight with proper heatsink,does it get overheat at 700ma?(I'm thinking of breaking open my CMG and use the LS led,cause the CMG on-off-head-turning-switch is driving me crazy.

Yeah you can, but make sure your heatsinking is proper.

FBA

Newly Enlightened
Thks Nerd for the input.Don't know that there is a resistor inside.Guess your're right ,it will be a waste to add a regulator unless I remove the resistor.Will do some more search and will 'kill' the CMG once I get enough hardware and technical info to proceed with the mod.(mind you I'm a novice in this field of 'killing and transferring' of led.)
Million thks for your time and advice.See you.