Best Trips For Flashoholics?

a4d

Enlightened
What are the best trips for flashololics? Any personal experience?

I know mine would be every summer heading down to the pine barrens in south NJ. Always dark out there.:candle:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I don't know about trips, but get yourself in to ghost hunting and you will be able to use every light you own.Plus it's alot of fun.

a4d

Enlightened
That's just a good excuse to use lights. I can always say i'm hunting the Jersey Devil being in the Pine Barrens.:naughty:

Kraid

Enlightened
I highly recommend Volcano National Park (Big Island of Hawaii). They have lava tubes(caves) and if you do the long hike to the lava at night (you get within a mile of it and can see it glow very well in the dark) you'll have ALOT of use for a flashlight. Wear a lanyard, the lava rock is sharp, slippery, and full of cervices. I fell into one, my friend dropped a camera into one, and I droped my MagLED into one(best light I had at the time, I got it out).

l_0ee4319c040321c7d45ceaa27b8fd585.jpg

Me having a "KHANNNNN!!!!" moment with my MagLED and a Photon Freedom on the hike.

Last edited:

a4d

Enlightened
Man that sounds "hot" (pun intended). That does sound kind of cool. I'm trying to get some ideas because my parents told me after i graduate college that i can choose the trip that we go on. I wanted to take a cruise to alaska but i want to get some ideas of where i can use my flashlights alot.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I have yet to make it there, but I've always wanted to visit the fluorescent mineral mines in Franklin, New Jersey with my dual-wavelength UV light. There are some awesome sights there.

There are also fluorescent mineral mines in Arizona and California.

Last edited:

kavvika

Enlightened
Lava tubes or caves.

Last summer I went to the lava tubes in Oregon. It was amazing.

Or if there's a large forest preserve near you, take a few hours one night and go for a walk. Or go "ghosthunting".

scaredofthedark

Enlightened
any 3rd world country
with no electricity. you always have the chance of using your favorite flashlight for the smallest tasks.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to Rome. Not that much use for flashlights there, but you get to see...Rome.

Some dark spots here and there on the smaller streets at night, maybe a few nooks in some of the Churches, but that wasn't the point.

Get reservations online for the Borghese museum, it's cheap and worth it big time.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Go to Rome. Not that much use for flashlights there, but you get to see...Rome.

Some dark spots here and there on the smaller streets at night, maybe a few nooks in some of the Churches, but that wasn't the point.

Get reservations online for the Borghese museum, it's cheap and worth it big time.

You forgot to suggest the greatest thing of all... the huge underground catacombs of Rome tours! :shakehead

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
where do you guys go ghost hunting?

You can go ghost hunting anywhere, anytime. You chances of finding one are the same no matter where you look. :wave:

Same goes for searching for the Loch Ness Monster and Big-Foot.

Just don't go messin' with Sasquatch and shining your bright lights in his eyes. :thumbsup:

a4d

Enlightened
You can go ghost hunting anywhere, anytime. You chances of finding one are the same no matter where you look. :wave:

Same goes for searching for the Loch Ness Monster and Big-Foot.

Just don't go messin' with Sasquatch and shining your bright lights in his eyes. :thumbsup:

HAHA i'll try not to, maybe i can turn him into a flashoholic:crackup:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bicycling the GAP/C&O canal!

Its one of the longest off road bike routes in the US. I did the C&O portion last fall. I got to use my lights ever night. Bikelights, headlamps and handhelds. We camped but most people motel it. My cycling partner insisted on getting to camp before it got dark dangit. But I dilly dallied long enough at dinner one night and we had a good hour ride in the dark. The mosquitoes weren't as bad if you didn't get off your bike till it was good and dark.

http://home.att.net/~jevad/CnO.html

a4d

Enlightened
Bicycling the GAP/C&O canal!

Its one of the longest off road bike routes in the US. I did the C&O portion last fall. I got to use my lights ever night. Bikelights, headlamps and handhelds. We camped but most people motel it. My cycling partner insisted on getting to camp before it got dark dangit. But I dilly dallied long enough at dinner one night and we had a good hour ride in the dark. The mosquitoes weren't as bad if you didn't get off your bike till it was good and dark.

http://home.att.net/~jevad/CnO.html

Now that you mention biking at night i think when i hit the trails on my bike around me i'm gonna do it at night. The trails are open at night so it's alright and it's about 30 or 60 miles of trails i can't remeber but it's ok i usualy only do maybe 12 miles total.

Burgess

Flashaholic
How about that old, abandoned building in Ohio ?

Believe it had been a prison, or perhaps a hospital.

They were allowing visitors to tour the place AT NIGHT !

There were even some reports of ghostly encounters. :drool:

I saw it discussed here on CPF, but alas, can't seem to find it now. ( sigh )

:candle:

_