D cell powered HID light

thunderdome

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a flashlight that extremely bright (300 lumens), that can be used in 'tactical' situations. The light should be now longer than 35 centimeters, and have a tube diameter no wider than 5 cm (the bezel can of curse be wider!!). It should of course by sturdy and should be dunk able.

But here is the catch, I need this light to operate on ordinary alkaline batteries, preferably AA or D cells. As rechargeable are not option for me, and lithium batteries may not available where I operate.

If such a light does not exist, than what lights do you recommend that run on rechargeable batteries than I can switch?

Essentially I am looking for a HID light that can operate on alkaline "D" cells.

I am looking forward to your responses.

Thanks in advance.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The lowest wattage and lumen HID is 10w and has around 500 lumen.

I don't remember any HIDs powered by D cells either.

Is there any reason why you can't use rechargeable?

Most of the high power LED lights either use Lithium, Li-ion, or run better on rechargeable batteries. The L2D(brightest on right now is the Q5 version) has around double the runtime on rechargeables compared to alkaline batteries.

I would not consider the L2D "tactical" because for the reverse clickie.

The current gen LEDs can hit over 200 lumen. HIDs are 500 lumen minimal, incans are variable but have shorter runtime when compared to a similar output LED or HID.

What do you need the light for?
What's you budget?
What do you have now?(there might be mods available)

:welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Yay, fixed.

That's odd, I remember posting here. CPF ate my post again.

The brightest single die LED can hit over 200 lumen. Multi die ones can be over 1000 lumen.

The dimmest HID is 10 watt and produces 500 lumen, so you won't be able to get one at 300 lumen. They also require a starting period, so no instant on.

Incans can me over 300 lumen but has a shorter runtime to a similar output LED or HID.

What are you going to use the light for?
What's you price range?
Why no rechargeable batteries?
What lights do you have now? (There might be mods available)

The RC-N3 might be a good start. AA powered, forward clickie, and simple to use. Shipping takes at least 2 weeks though.

:welcome:

Last edited: