R.I.P. Charlton Heston

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sad day, Charlton Heston passed away today. A great actor and a strong proponent of the right to keep and bear arms.
"From my cold dead fingers"
A good man that will be missed.
I wish his family comfort in this time of sorrow.

Infamous

Newly Enlightened
a good man has passed today. i appreciate everything he was able to do for our nation and i pray that for every good man like him who passes, their life and their achievements will inspire greatness in many younger men like me

jtr1962

Flashaholic
He was one of my all-time favorites. A truly great man has left us but he leaves behind a legacy anyone would be proud of.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
He leaves two great legacys:

His profession - a remarkable actor.

His passion - one of the greatest defenders of the Second Amendment.

"From my cold, dead fingers..."

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know anything about his NRA involvement, etc, but i will miss Moses...

RIP Charlton! you are a legend..

Crenshaw

alfablue

Newly Enlightened
I agree, RIP Charlton Heston, but I do not agree with his NRA beliefs and the calous "From my cold dead hands" statements. But then I'm a Brit, so what do I know.

We are all entitled to our views, however, and I can see the good in his acting career clearly overshadows his politics.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Soylent Green is People"

Not a classic perhaps but look at the range of roles he played and the types of films.

Now he can rest from the ravages of Alzheimer's. One of my clubs raises money for that foundation and they have made some inroads but not enough.

Infamous

Newly Enlightened
I agree, RIP Charlton Heston, but I do not agree with his NRA beliefs and the calous "From my cold dead hands" statements. But then I'm a Brit, so what do I know.

We are all entitled to our views, however, and I can see the good in his acting career clearly overshadows his politics.

just wait till the day your government decides to senselessly ban bright flashlights "for your own good," then youll understand ;)

stevep

Newly Enlightened
From Planet of the Apes;

The movie's line "Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape."

was voted as the #66 movie quote by the American Film Institute (out of 100).

RIP Mr.Heston

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I was saddened by this news. I grew up on his depictions of great heroes. If you have not seen them, it's worth renting his films

I'm always impressed by actors that can play a wide range. On one extreme Mr Heston played historical figures such as Moses, El Cid, John the Baptist, and a chariot driving gladiator (Ben Hur). On the other extreme, he played a Space traveler (Planet of the apes), an everyday man in a dismal future (Soylent Green) and the Omega Man.

Imdb list 135 titles, Many are classics of their time. As a child I was inspired by El Cid in many ways. As a young man I was chilled by the possible future that he and Edward G Robinson presented in Soylent Green.

As a person, he was steadfast in his beliefs. He was never involved in a scandal and was married to the same woman for most of his life. He was active in promoting civil rights beyond the gun issue, equal rights being one that he supported.

A good man, a great actor, a role model...

Sigh.

stevep

Newly Enlightened
just wait till the day your government decides to senselessly ban bright flashlights "for your own good," then youll understand ;)

Their government was talking about banning kitchen knives that had sharp points on the end. They are banning fire extinguishers in the home as well. For their own good of course.

I am not to sure that the euro-peasant has ever been able to grasp the concepts of freedom and liberty. They go hand in hand with personal responsibility. There are many in the USA that don't get it either.

alfablue

Newly Enlightened
The freedom and liberty you enjoy leads to 3.98 gun deaths per 100, 000 population, compared with 0.15 in the UK, a massive 26 times the number of gun deaths in US compared with the UK. Another way to look atit is that I have 26 times the freedom and liberty to live my life without fear of becoming a gun death statistic. In view of those statistics I think I'll stick with life in our totalitarian state!!!

And your point about responsibility? The US population obviously has many seriously irresponsible people in their midst!

Never mind the stats, just stick to the dogma, and you will all live happily ever after!

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a requiem thread started for the stellar actor, Charlton Heston. Could you please refrain from any off topic responses.
Cheers.

Last edited:

alfablue

Newly Enlightened
Can we STAY ON TOPIC PLEASE.
If you have a thread which concerns the death of a prominent personality, any such discussion is likely to involve significant aspects of his or her life. CH was renowned for both his acting and his politics, including his presidency of the NRA. Such discussion is ENTIRELY ON TOPIC - unless you want no discussion and just a mindless and sentimental and totally uncritical tribute fest - freedom and liberty indeed!