Anybody have any of these yet?

http://www.insightlights.com/products.htm

Looks like the new generation H2X Typhoon/Gladius
specs:
LED 90-160 lumens depending on how many batteries
Dimmable
strobe mode (of course)
no grip ring except on H2X
rechargeable or primaries (1,2,or3 cr123)
black finish
crenelated bezel
looks similar to an SF E2D

loszabo

Enlightened
Anybody with some experience already? I think I'll go for the H1X to go with my H2X Typhoon.

Mhmmm, I've just noted that the H1X does not has the great Gladius/Typhoon interface -- only a button with multiple stages.

Last edited:

Kato

Enlightened
ITI sent me an H2X Arcturus last month for T&E.

The construction, LED output, and beam quality were good. The body felt solid and the knurling was very aggressive. The LED (SSL P4, I think) produced a clean, white beam free of artifacts. The light also came with a lithium-ion battery and a small charger.

The multi-mode, single button interface looked good on paper, but the execution was very, very buggy. About one-fifth of the time, half press momentaries didn't work, and from time to time, press and hold dimming resulted in max for a few seconds followed by total shutdown.

I intended on testing the Arcturus as a duty light, but I didn't feel comfortable taking it into the field with its buggy switching.

For now, I'll stick with my Seouled Gladius or my Malkoff'ed Surefire.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...

I'm on my second Arcturus, third battery and second charger. The light has been extremely problematic to say the least.

It has a lot of potential, but the bugs need to be worked-out.

-dan

Kato

Enlightened
I was at a trade show several months ago, a short time before these new lights were released. The ITI rep was showing me the Arcturus and its siblings, but even he wasn't able to get the modes working properly. I was hoping that the problems would be resolved before they were released, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Oh, well.

dcowboyscr

Newly Enlightened
Greenwood(Indianapolis), Indiana & Orlando, Florid
ITI sent me an H2X Arcturus last month for T&E.

The construction, LED output, and beam quality were good. The body felt solid and the knurling was very aggressive. The LED (SSL P4, I think) produced a clean, white beam free of artifacts. The light also came with a lithium-ion battery and a small charger.

The multi-mode, single button interface looked good on paper, but the execution was very, very buggy. About one-fifth of the time, half press momentaries didn't work, and from time to time, press and hold dimming resulted in max for a few seconds followed by total shutdown.

I intended on testing the Arcturus as a duty light, but I didn't feel comfortable taking it into the field with its buggy switching.

For now, I'll stick with my Seouled Gladius or my Malkoff'ed Surefire.

+1 on you asessment! I just received a replacement light from Insight that is far worse than the first one!

mmercil

Newly Enlightened
Any further experiences with these lights? I'm very interrested in the h3x regulus but haven't found any reviews of it yet.

Ralls

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious about these too--I just got done looking through a couple of gun magazines and they were featured in both of them.

Minnesotalight

Newly Enlightened
I heard that a few H series models were recalled due to switch problems. But i think those were only for a select few serial numbers. The (new for '09) HX series I heard had battery draining problems. Insight has a pretty good customer service and will definitely help you out in case of problems.

dcowboyscr

Newly Enlightened
Greenwood(Indianapolis), Indiana & Orlando, Florid
The Insight series of flashlights have alot of potential, however right now they are being recalled by Insight.

The first series out the H2X Arcturus had a problematic switch, flickering led sometimes on low, and ocasionally would turn on in low mode without warning when you thought you would be getting a full power beam. I returned my first one to Insight and the replacement was even worse!

Then after a few months wait Insight sent me the new version of the light. It was light years ahead in functionality and the switch was VASTLY improved! Also the output was increased to 150 lumens from 120.

However, after field testing this version for a month and a half it to flickered annoyingly on low and sometimes would come on in low mode when it should have come on in full power!

In addition, I received an email from Insight Tech Gear stating they were doing a recall on all the lights due to a flaw in the electronics that would slowly drain the battery even if you didn't use the flashlight!

I called Insight and they stated the "improved" version of this series of flashlights will be shipping around the end of May/ Beginning of June.

I must say that even though I'm very frustrated with the flaws i've encountered so far and being on my 3rd flashlight already, Insight Customer Service has been outstanding and very courdial.

When Insight gets this flashlight bug free it will no doubt be my favorite rechargeable flashlight. Everything from runtime to features to beam profile are outstanding.

Also I noted at the SHOT Show they had some flashlights that featured "warm leds" that looked EXACTLY like incans!