A look at Weiguo Solutions "Spotlight".

2xTap

Newly Enlightened
About 2 months ago Matt from Weiguo Solutions sent me one of these to try out. I've been using it on and off since and have been quite impressed by this little light.

jtspotlight01vm8.jpg

jtspotlight03ct3.jpg

As you can readily see it's not a "Spotlight" in the way most of us Flashaholics deem a Spotlight. This is a neat little rechargable light for your car. It uses most 12v accessory outlets you find in cars, like your cigarette lighter port. Here's the specs from the flyers that came with this light.......

- High Output .5 watt LED
- 6061 Aircraft Aluminum Body
- Enviromentally friendly, rechargeable N1-MH battery
- fits most 12 volt automotive style power outlets
- Red glow 'charging' indicator
- under 2" (50mm) and 1.8oz. (45grams)
- 120+ minutes runtime / 7 hour charge time

Now I've used this light a bit since I got it and it did come already charged, but I have not done any runtime tests nor do I know for certain if it actually takes a full 7 hours to take on a full charge. I will say that I have charged it some in a couple different vehicles, about 2 hours total, and I would say I got about a total of one hour runtime on it, maybe a bit more. The output hasn't diminished yet.

As I said it is little, here it is alongside some of my other small lights........

.........click on thumbs for larger views.

The light uses a Pure White (W92050C) SSC Z-power LED and a optic collimator lens. Here's a head on shot........

jtspotlight06uu4.jpg

The light uses a twisty via a knurled bezel, the twisty action had some grittiness to begin with but has since smoothed out. It is marked on the bezel with arrows pointing in the direction to turn on, and where to twist to put in charge mode. Twist the bezel to the left to turn on, twist to the right to turn off, and then a further twist right until the head "clicks" to put in charge mode.

The output of this light is rated at 28 Lumens, and if rated at the emiiter I would say this is about right. Here is some beamies of it compared to a couple other smaller lights I have. Off-white wall with all lights approximately 4 feet from wall...........

Weiguo Solutions Spotlight:

Fenix E1 w/ Nichia Rigel LED:

Surefire E1E w/ MN01 Lamp:

My camera takes horrible pics in real low light, so these aren't quite how the beams truely appear. The "Spotlight" has a very clean beam with just a slight hue of yellow to it, and while you can't see it in the pic it does have some spill. It gives off more than enough light to navigate through a dark house, or change a tire on your car along a dark roadside. The visual output is very close to the E1E with the MN01 lamp installed, hotspots are nearly identical in size and brghtness. The E1E does have a bit more flood, and the flood from the E1E is a bit brighter.

As mentioned this light charges from most 12v car accessory outlets, and has worked perfectly in the cigarette lighter ports in my Chevy Cavalier, my wife's Ford Escape, and in my work truck (Jeep Cherokee). But it does not work in the auxillary outlet in my car. When set into a cigarette lighter port a red indicator light comes on in the head of the light letting you know it's charging. This indicator does not turn off when the light is fully charged, it will stay on as long as the light is in an active outlet.

The fit and finish of this light is excellent. The machining on the aluminum body, the knurling on the bezel are flawless, as is the anodizing.

It's a great little accessory for your car, and one that can prove quite useful in a pinch. Useable output, good runtime, small in size and light in weight, and inexpensive. It's become a mainstay in my car.

You can check these out here.......

Weiguo Solutions: http://www.weiguosolutions.com/

JTSpotlight: http://www.jtspotlight.com/

12Vspotlight.com: http://www.12vspotlight.com/

And I would like to thank again Matt Swisher from Weiguo Solutions for giving me the opportunity to try one of these lights out, and for answering all the questions I had about this light. Thanks Matt! :thumbsup:

2xTap

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I think the "Spotlight" means it puts light on a spot. That's about it. :D

I've seen these at Wal Mart in showerhead versions.. Perhaps 7 leds.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Curious....
What happens when something shorts across the +Ive and -Ive terminal? Is it protected electrically?

2xTap

Newly Enlightened
Khaytsus,

Most likely that was the intent of the name......I just wanted to clarify what it actually is right from the get go as I've seen all to often people take headers a bit to literal......if you know what I mean.

And with that said I will mention that this doesn't just throw a spot of light.....it does have some spill to it. The flood beam isn't huge and it is somewhat dim, but for it's intended purpose it's more than enough to light up an area inside your car, like in your trunk or under the hood.

I did some walking through my house one night with all the lights off, it lights up a dark hallway or stairwell well enough to navigate without stubbing your toes or tripping over stuff.

Kramer5150,

Not sure bud, that would be something Matt could answer.

2xTap

oregon

Enlightened
Last edited:

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
I have the Coast and The Spotlight. The Spotlight is the winner for me, its brighter lighter and easier to twist on/off. The coast does have a quality feel about it though and I prefer the blue light to the red of the spotlight.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious....
What happens when something shorts across the +Ive and -Ive terminal? Is it protected electrically?

I forget who tested this, but they put a DMM across the terminals and found zero volts. I did a similar test with a piece of metal, and there were no sparks! This would indicate that there is a form of circuitry isolation in there, to prevent this problem.

I have two of these, and they are seriously well though out. Who honestly uses the electronic cigarette lighter in their cars these days. Put something useful in there, like the Spotlight.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a red LED in series with the charging connection that has two tasks: 1) it signals when the flashlight is charging, 2) it prevents reverse current flow.

DaveG

Enlightened
I have one in my van cig lighter full time for the last few months.For its size it is bright and gets more use than I thought it would.Would like to see a home charger for it.I thought they were in the works.It is a handy auto light for sure for looking around the dark corners of my van,bad rear interior lighting.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Curious....
I put a DMM across the contacts of mine, and found +0.000 volts.
So carrying it in a pocket with coins & keys or placing it in a toolbox or other container with lots of metal poses no risk whatsoever. :thumbsup: