Tour of the GM Proving Grounds, Mesa, AZ

KingGlamis

Banned
A friend of mine invited me to go with him on a tour of the GM Proving Grounds in Mesa, AZ today. What an incredible experience. This was a private tour for 14 of us, given by one of the lead security guards. We toured the whole facility and it was cool seeing all of the different things they have to test the vehicles. But the coolest thing was we all got to ride passenger in a Corvette. They brought out three Vettes with their test drivers. OMG that was cool! It was a short road course and the first turn we were in a full drift at probably 80mph for what seemed like forever. And not the kind of drifting that drifters do, we were drifting because of the major speed we carried through the corners. Just amazing. And the driver was talking to me like we were just sitting at a dinner table just shootin' the breeze. Then, on the front straight we were in fourth gear and he just yanks the steering wheel and we do a full 360 degree flat spin and then keep going. WOW that was fun! At the end of my ride our Vette and another one lined up next to each other but pointing in opposite directions and then they did donuts in sync about only one foot from each other. Again, way cool. He told me they wear out a set of tires every tank of gas.

The other cool thing is we got to see the next Gen Camaro in person. That thing is sweet. The guy off-loading them from the transporter didn't want us looking at it but the security guard said he had clearance to let us.

And no, they wouldn't let us take any pics. We couldn't even bring our cell phones in.

What an incredible day. Just thought I would share.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story! That's something you'll have forever.

I love cars but didn't end up working in the auto industry, just computers. My dad worked for GM for a while and we lived in Meeeeechigan, which back then was where everything was happening in the States. Was cool to get a new loaner every year. Because he was in the auto biz he once went to the Mercedes test track in Germany. This was the super-high banked one like you see in the commercials, though I'm not sure it's the same since it was a very long time ago. He said the banking was so high that at about 100mph the test driver let go of the steering wheel and floored the thing. Because of the banking the car just found its groove for whatever speed and circled around while my dad was white-knuckle-gripping the seat in total terror. He still tells the story like it was yesterday and gets really peppy and smiling when he does. :)

83Venture

Enlightened
I think I saw your post about this on one of the camaro boards I lurk on. I keep a pretty close watch on the Challenger & Camaro boards. I am currently leaning toward getting a new Challenger, then a used camaro. One or the other in a convertible.