Does 5W LS beat the Princeton Tec Surge?

ake

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried comparing any 5W mod to the Princeton Tec Surge? I used to have a surge for a short time, but returned it as didn't want to spend too much on the bulbs. Now thinking about that much of lighting again.

I am interested particularly in the throw distance. Any 5W mod that has very long throw out there? I intend to use it for a backpacking purpose and need it occasionally to spot a location where misterious sound comes form at night. Just need to make sure that it's not a big bear walking in to eat me in the woods. Have a couple of 1W LS, but the throw is not long enough for this kind of application.

For the least does the 5W LS (with any optical, be it collimator or focussor have comparable to PT tec40?

Thanks,

ake

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Mr Bulk Space Needle 2 (I have a SN1 and a NexNeedle also, all 5 watters, but the SN 2 is the BRIGHTEST 5 WATTER that I own!) and two Surge's, and they are probably the brightest incandescents that I own, so it should be a good comparison!

I will check them tonight and let you know tomorrow.

BUT, my memory of the Surge, is that it is a powerful light, and throws a nice, almost surefire type beam, but is a wider light.

The Space Needle 2 is designed to throw a long beam.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I also have a Surge and a Space Needle II, so I'll have to check them. That is, if I can find where the cleaners stashed my Surge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

N.B. I live in the retail core of a large city with streetlights on and windows lit up all the time, so lighting up dark trees and whatnot could be problematic for me. I think most of my testing will have to take place indoors. :/

Prodeje79

Newly Enlightened
How long will that SN 2 5W LED last? Surely longer than a bulb for the Princeton Tec Surge, right? But how long approximately? Is the 5 wat easy to replace whenand if it comes out?

BTW: I am very jealous about your SN 2... :>

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Prodeje79 said:
How long will that SN 2 5W LED last? Surely longer than a bulb for the Princeton Tec Surge, right? But how long approximately? Is the 5 wat easy to replace whenand if it comes out?

BTW: I am very jealous about your SN 2... :>

[/ QUOTE ]

Lumileds says they last around 500 hours, which is a long time for a flashlight. I just got my Space Needle II, and I've not yet taken the head off to see if the LED can be changed easily.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I took out two Surge's and my Space Needle 2.

First of all, let's all realise that we are comparing a 26.00 dollar, commercially available light, to a 120.00 BARGIN, a hand picked 5 watt LS, hand built and personally tweaked by Mr. BULK.

Also, these two lights are both "my favorites". The Surge was the very first "post mag-lite" light that I purchased, after reading so much here about the light, and decided to "dive in" and spend the 25.00 (WOW, did that seem like a lot to spend on a light, at that time!)

The SN2, is, well, the most perfect high intensity light I have ever had the pleasure of owning. (I have 3, 5 watt LED lights, and 2 surge's, and 1 Legend LX and 1 modified Legend LX with a SureFire P61 HOLA, and my friend has a new Streamlight Stinger HP, 40,000 cp)

I have to say, that from a NON FLASHOHOLIC's viewpoint, the Surge is functionaly almost equivalent to the SP2. In other words, I could see my dog 500 feet away with my Surge, and I could see her, using the SN2. Not bad for the Surge, considering that it is a 6 volt (4aa batteries, x 2) and the SP2 is a 9 volt light.

It should be obvious, however, even to a non flashoholic, that the SP2 is more powerful.

NOW, let's jump back into our perfectionist flashoholic behavior.

Color
The SN2 puts out a light that is soo much whiter than the Surge, it makes the Surge look like it is actually designed to be a yellow light. The SN2 is sooooo Snow White, it is perfection. The snow whitc color actually lets you see futher also. Things look more crisp, more in focus, by a HUGE margin, over the Surge and the HP.

Beam
The Surge first impressed me, in that there were no lines or shadows. It is considered one of the best incandescent lights out there. BUT, the SN2 again, is PERFECTION. A Perfectly round beam, with a perfectly even secondary beam. (All this with a mag reflector!)

Throw.
This is where the SN2 pleasantly suprised me. The SN2, at it's tightest focus, still has a very large center spot beam. Now I am comparing this to both a Surge (on fresh batteries bty), and a Streamlight Stinger HP, two "top of the pack" incandescent lights.

The SN2, at 400-500 feet, threw a very large, perfectly round, snow white beam, that still had a huge intensity of concentrated light.

Most of the time, to get a decent amount of light at 500 feet, you have to start with a dime sized beam.

Summary: For 25.00, the Surge is one heck of a bargan. However, the SN2, is just about as close to flashlight perfection that I have ever come.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
First let me say I will not be as thorough as Budd and unfortunately I do not have a Space Needle II(yet, Charlie are you working on it, are you, huh?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif), but I do have a Surge and a Space Needle. The SN is generally accepted not to be as impressive as the SN II (it is a 5W SE instead of a 5W HD). The SN beam is more diffuse with a smaller hotspot.

Coincidentally, I just happened to be playing with both my Surge and SN while my dogs were out last night. Did I say playing, I meant using.

Now to the point, the Surge is very bright with great throw, but the SN is brighter with even more impressive throw. That said your mileage may vary depending on the quality and type of 5W LS (HD or SE) you get and how the light is gathered (type of optics used, or type of reflector). Still a 5W can definitely match or beat the Surge.

Pat

PS - Budd, you are going to have to start a review site if you keep up with all these thorough evaluations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Do you ever wonder how many of us started out looking for a light to use on the dog walk?

Prodeje79

Newly Enlightened
must ... get ... a ... SN II ... AHHHHHHHHHHHH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

More info on Bulb to LED replacement issues please,
I guess real world longitivity is yet to be seen on the SN II though ..... but just how easy will it be to change that LED once it goes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
treek13 said: Do you ever wonder how many of us started out looking for a light to use on the dog walk?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, that is another big issue of mine, DOGS, and dog walking.

If someone wants a dog to lay around their house all day, and the idea of a 5 or 10 minute walk is a lot for them, then, hey, get a shitshu or poodle, or something else.

BUT, if you get a high energy dog (like my Jack Russell Terrier) or a big dog, then you OWE it to yourself to make sure that the dog gets enough exercise.

Having a big backyard or a companion dog, is not enough. Unless you live on a farm, or have 10-20 acres of land with wildlife for the dog to chase, there is not going to be enough activity for the dog to get his exercise.

I walk my dog, 5-6 days a week (sometimes 7) for at least an hour, OFF THE LEASH! She gets to run with at least 3 other dogs, and believe me, she does run.

It is a committment to have a dog, a lifetime commitment. The DOGS Life.

The dog needs to be a dog, and needs the room to run. I live in a surburban area, and it is a challenge to find areas where the dog can run, but you can find them.

Anyway, last night, when testing the above lights, we went to a place that is wooded and NO ambient light. A Flashoholic's dream! that feeling of being in total darkness, and turning on your light, and BAMMM, lighting up the world, is a nice feeling!

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
BuddTX.
I totaly Agree, I actually live in the middle of the Sticks, But still everyday without exception for 20 years, we have walked our dogs for over an hour every evening. We drive somewhere for variety, Beach, woods, where-ever and walk, its great for us, and them.
I cant stomach driving into towns and seeing a dog pulled along on a lead on a concrete path.
But what can you do!

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
BuddTX: Just a little off topic, but I had my first hand view of a pair of JRT's that were siblings, approx 1yr old in the park today, and boy can those dogs DIG. With lots of vim and vigor, I might add. Then the fun started. Being in a very expansive park, you have lots of chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, etc. Those two dogs streaked by me like greased lightning in high speed pursuit of a "nutty squirrel" and they kept right up with the "tree climbing rat". Kept both me and the Mrs. entertained for the afternoon. We both played hookey from work today to take advantage of the gorgeous spring like weather.

Sorry to drift off topic, but after reading your posts about Hadley Sue in the past and never having actually seen a JRT, I couldn't imagine a more energetic bundle of kinetic energy as the JRT breed. Both dogs were exceptionally good with al the children being around the park. Surprising.

Ed.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sorridsky said:
BuddTX.
I totaly Agress, I actually live in the middle of the Sticks, But still everyday without exceotion for 20 years, we have walked our dogs for over an hour every evening. We drive somewhere for variety, Beach, woods, where-ever and walk, its great for us and them.
I cant stomach driving into towns and seeing a dog pulled along on a lead on a concrete path.
But what can you do!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorridsky,

Good for you, and GREAT for your dog!

Now, Leash walks are not bad for the dog, if done correctly. I occasionally walk my dog in my neighborhood, on a 16 ft retractable leash. Now, for the most part, I make sure that we get in an hour walk, but she loves it because of all the smells and excitement. I think of it similar to a human going to the mall.

BUT, that is not her primary walk. Matter of fact, we have not done that for about a month or so.

I agree with you about a dog being on a leash for his whole life (I have a girl JRT, but ALL dogs are male, and ALL cats are female!) BUT, you can be a good owner and walk your dogs too!

So, yea, it's not the ideal thing, but when you see dogs on leashes, remember that owners CAN be responsible and caring for a dog, and still let them walk on a leash.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
e=mc² said:
BuddTX: Just a little off topic, but I had my first hand view of a pair of JRT's that were siblings, approx 1yr old in the park today, and boy can those dogs DIG. With lots of vim and vigor, I might add. Then the fun started. Being in a very expansive park, you have lots of chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, etc. Those two dogs streaked by me like greased lightning in high speed pursuit of a "nutty squirrel" and they kept right up with the "tree climbing rat". Kept both me and the Mrs. entertained for the afternoon. We both played hookey from work today to take advantage of the gorgeous spring like weather.

Sorry to drift off topic, but after reading your posts about Hadley Sue in the past and never having actually seen a JRT, I couldn't imagine a more energetic bundle of kinetic energy as the JRT breed. Both dogs were exceptionally good with al the children being around the park. Surprising.

Ed.

[/ QUOTE ]

ED,

I THANK GOD (seriously) that my JRT only likes to dig a little. When we go walking, there is a playground that has the smooth stones where the swing is, so that if a child falls, the ground will give, and the only time she digs is there.

Her mom, however, (does not live with me) digs like a coal miner!

Now, my dog ALSO, climbs trees! She got 7.5 feet into a tree once. (Low branching branches) She was like on a jungle jym.

She loves to try to climb regular straight trees too. She often wants me to help her, when she jumps up a trunk, to support her back, so she can "climb" higher.

Somebody said once, that JRT's are not dogs, they are really intellegent aliens, in dogs bodies, spying on us hunans.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, since this is sooo off topic now... Let me offer the other side of the story. I have an 8 year old male pug that is, I believe, to JRT's what anti-matter is to matter. :)

He is such an un-dog that 5 minutes of running full speed around my back yard nearly kills him. I force it out of him and he seems to enjoy it (almost as much as I do, ever seen a pug run at full speed?<g>) but he lacks so many normal dog instincts and abilities that if I allowed him free run around the neighborhood on a real walk as you guys define it he would very quickly get hurt or killed...

Bottom line, know the dog you're about to own. If you're not an active person do NOT get an active dog.

Jon

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing a Basset Hound might be my speed. But, at the moment, I'm sticking with a guinea pig, who is a great match - relaxed 90% of the time, stressed out the other 10.

My parents have a Collie that would be WAY too much for me, though I have taken care of him a few times while they were out. Tell ya what, though, their 2-3 walks a day with him sure keep them in shape!

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
I've been thinking about getting a new Mutt,
Can anyone help recomend me one?
We have always got dogs from Rescue centres in the past, and I like to do that if I can. However, as I'm embarking on a new job, and new lifestyle. I'm going to have to be picky about the nature of dog, and thus must look at Breed chractoristics.
I'm looking for an Intelligent dog thats very easy going and friendly, as I'll be meeting new people, and kids, so he cant be aggressive. But must also be an excellent watch/guard dog.
I've been looking at a Rhodiesian ridgeback, does anyone have any experiance with them?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sorridsky said:
I've been thinking about getting a new Mutt,
Can anyone help recomend me one? . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorridsky,

Re-post this in the Cafe.

I'd love to discuss this with you! There are lots of dog lovers here on CPF! (There are some cat lovers too, and we tolerate them sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)