What's my next EDC?

DrunkenDonut

Newly Enlightened
First of all, @#$&*^#&$^#@%!!! I want to kill Firefox :xyxgun: right now, as this is the third time I've had to right this thing up. How nice of the back function to have the same shortcut as the go-to-beginning-of-line shortcut (yes, in OS X). :ohgeez::mad: :hairpull:

Anyway, back on topic, and written outside of firefox... :poke:

The topic says it all. My dad loves the NDI, but that leaves me with no light!! I needed one recently too, and a 2AA NiteIze'd minimag just doesn't cut it for lighting up corrugated sheet metal roofing from ~20' underneath. I couldn't even tell if the light was on!

I believe I'm looking for another AA light, or even AAA, as I have lots of these cells laying around. The size is right for pockets and keychains and I want to have a light or two with me always. I'm looking for both a convenience light - something to light things up close, and something bright - to light up the aforementioned sheet metal. For bright lights, I really only have the NDI to compare to. What would you recommend, and why? Here's what I've been looking at:

ArcAAA - I've wanted an arc since first seeing the RGB. It's small, handy, and tough. Takes AAA and isn't all that bright.

Fenix E01 - The new contender. Nobody has one, so not much can be said. Looks good though, and is also small, handy, and hopefully tough. Also AAA, and can't light up the sheet metal. Inexpensive, so that's a plus. This is my current preference for a convenience light. There are things at the Fenix-Store I want, so I might pick this up anyway.

LiteFlux LF2X - Now we're talking lumens again. Almost up there with the NDI. Uses AAA but can take Li-ion too. Multi-level, and a bit customizable. This is my current preference for a bright light.

Tiablo MA1 - I hear good things about the tint. Supposedly can take li-ion but people are having issues with this? Bright while it works, not quite so bright when back to NiMH AAA. Hrm.

Fenix L0D - What happened to all my precious AA lights? Not sure why exactly, but this light doesn't do it for me.

Fenix 4in1 P2D/L1D combo - Oh finally, an AA light. I was getting worried for a minute. I can go to 123 later via another body. That's convenient. Bright and multi-level too.

NDI - The one that started it all. I still like it, but since I have the chance, why not try something else?

Okay, looks like this turned into a mostly AAA list. My bad. Feel free to recommend any others, and some reasons you would do so. I would actually prefer AA over AAA but if the lights can provide good light (and beam) and good runtimes with AAA, I won't mind. I guess I should add that I would like at least 1 hour on highest setting, and longer for dimmer settings, of course.

I want to see what all the fuss is about bright warm tint too, but I don't think I will find many options in a small EDC light?

What are your thoughts? Am I in the right ballpark? Did I miss any that would do what I really want?

Chime in! :poke:

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a significant difference in size between some of the contenders e.g. NDI and Fenix L0D.

You should clarify your needs in terms of size. In my case I can easily EDC LF2 or L0D or MA1 but not NDI (too bulky for my pocket).

DrunkenDonut

Newly Enlightened
The NDI would be about the largest I would go. It's still small enough for me, but I just happen to be looking for something else at the moment.

The 4in1 combo is an L1D body with P2D head.. What are the differences using that vs a stock L1DCE? Brighter? What happens to runtime?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4in1 combo is an L1D body with P2D head.. What are the differences using that vs a stock L1DCE? Brighter? What happens to runtime?

I think the L1D and P2D use the same head (also the L2D and P2D - but the P3D is different). Put the head on the L1D body, and you get an L1D CE with L1DCE output and runtime. Put it on the P2D body, you have a P2DCE, with P2DCE output and runtime. Seems like a pretty good deal...if you can stomach the cost of an L1DCE or P2DCE on it's own, the extra body and other goodies for bout $10 more is a good deal.

Erm...didn't read your question closely enough. Fenix says:

L1DCE 12 lumens (25 hours); 53 lumens (5 hours); 107 lumens (2 hours); 120 lumens (1.5 hours).
P2DCE 12 lumens (30 hours); (55 lumens 5.5 hours); 107 lumens (2 hours); 180 lumens (1 hour)

I'm still trying to convince myself NOT to buy the combo-pack. :)

Last edited:

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
L0D CE Q4 is a good AAA flashlight but suffers from a simple flaw: no memory. I have to cycle to get to high mode every time. LF2X (which I have been eyeing for a while now) is probably a better choice at this time.

I have read good things about the DX X1 (Dexlight) which is a AA form factor (also been eyeing this sucker for a while now).

The JetBeam AA's (Jet-I Mk IBS and Jet-I Pro IBS) are still no show so no joy there.

DrunkenDonut

Newly Enlightened
Doh, that would annoy me too.

I did forget one detail as I was reading through some of the other threads - The P2D can't take the RCR123s? No problem with the L1D taking NiMH and not li-ion, but I won't get the combo if the P2D is primary only.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you buy from Fenix Store, don't forget their 8% off coupon, "CPF8", for CPFers.

The Olight T15 and T10 might also be contenders. Their different reflectors give them a bit more throw then the Fenix L1D or P2D.

cv3po

Banned
L0D CE Q4 is a good AAA flashlight but suffers from a simple flaw: no memory. I have to cycle to get to high mode every time. LF2X (which I have been eyeing for a while now) is probably a better choice at this time..

IMO, no memory is a plus for an EDC twisty. I've only used an LF2 briefly but even in that short amount of time the memory function (ie, programmable function) got "confused" several times. Not only is it a tad awkward to setup in the first place but then I'd expec low and get max or vice-versa. The LOD, on the other hand, has a simple UI. Yes it has the useless strobe and sos functions but they are at the end of the sequence and out of the way. It's true that if you are on high and want low you'll need to do the twist for awhile but that takes all of 2-3 seconds. Not to mention that I usually know what mode I want from the start and with the LOD I always know where it is.................not the case with the LF2. YMMV but for a keychain/pocket light the LOD is as simple and reliable a multi-mode light as you're likely to find.

Bigsy

Enlightened
If your easily confused with the LF2X programmable function then leave it alone, nothing wrong with the default modes. It's just a bonus to have the option to customise.

I've gone through a lot of lights looking for a perfect EDC and settled on the lf2x. Conversly to the above post, things I like over the LOD:

* Solid built in clip, I hook it on a pocket and it never gets in the way.

* Defaults are good 99% of the time, but you do have the option of getting a super low low and a very high (turbo) mode on a li-ion battery.

* Voltage check, I love this feature, very handy for both battery types.

* Li-ion low volt warning.

As you can tell I run 10440's as they have a tad more capacity than normal nimh aaa and this is the perfect light to support them.

If I were only running nimh I'd still take it over my LOD.

Last edited:

DrunkenDonut

Newly Enlightened
Good points everyone.. I guess the best way to do this is try them out! I'm going with the fenix-store order first, so that means E01 and maybe some other lights, followed by the LF2X.

As for customization, I found that I left the NDI somewhere about 30% up from low. That was about right for most tasks where I needed more light. I barely touched max, though it's great to show off to your friends with. Oh Looky - Small light, BIG LIGHT. :eek:oo: :D I'm pretty handy with this stuff so customizations won't be a problem unless the light itself has UI issues.

Thanks, Gunner12 for the tip. The Olight T15 does look interesting, and it's back into AA territory... Hmm...

Well, if I find that something is lacking, in the spirit of CPF, I'll just buy more lights! Plenty of lights to choose from, and I certainly don't have to get them all at once.

I have a sneaky suspicion that I'll end up with an NDI again in the future. It's my first "serious" light, so I have a soft spot for it. Great light all around, but for now I can "borrow" it when required. :whistle:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumapower IncenDio is way cool and small (but you mentioned AA or AAA so I will stop pushing that one). I have the NDI, LF2X, LOD CE Q4 and IncenDio. All are really great lights. But if you want some runtime with brightness then you probably want AA or larger. The Fenix L1D is a good light.

You may also want to check out the Photon Pro which uses an AA cell and is liked by many. It has adjustable brightness but must be started from high.

m2usa

Newly Enlightened
First of all, @#$&*^#&$^#@%!!! I want to kill Firefox :xyxgun: right now, as this is the third time I've had to right this thing up. How nice of the back function to have the same shortcut as the go-to-beginning-of-line shortcut (yes, in OS X). :ohgeez::mad: :hairpull:

Anyway, back on topic, and written outside of firefox... :poke:

I just wanted to say, "I feel your pain." I did that twice today when writing up a short post. Wasn't so bad, but now, I use TextEdit to write 'em out first.

In response to your post though, if the E01 isn't bright enough for you, perhaps the L0D really is a good choice. It really has some very good power, and it should be fine for what you are asking of it. I have an NDI too and now carry both it and the L0D (uh...backups you know...) but I think that the L0D is very usable as a main light depending upon your needs.

I'm just using Eneloops with both the NDI and the L0D, but they work well. If you are daring, you can break out the 10440's and see if they work in the L0D. That way you can mostly use the primary mode (which is the first twist choice on the L0D) and that should be plenty bright. If you need to get crazy you can bust out high and go to town. The size is very easy to carry, and packs a lot of punch for its size.

DrunkenDonut

Newly Enlightened
yeah, I'm using Firefox 3 beta 5 at the moment. Apparently they're going to address the editing before the final v3 ships.

Anyway, back to the lights - I've just ordered up a few E01, and the H30 headlamp (since I don't have a headlamp yet). :D

I'm probably going to be just fine with the E01. I know it's not supposed to be a monster thrower, and most of the time I just need a little more light for close up work. I can make do without 100+ lumens for awhile longer.

Looking forward to my lights!

m2usa

Newly Enlightened
Anyway, back to the lights - I've just ordered up a few E01, and the H30 headlamp (since I don't have a headlamp yet). :D

Sounds good. I've got three E01's on order to give as gifts to my family. They seem like a great little light to always have around you. The H30 huh? I want one of those for myself! Enjoy 'em!