Wuben        
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30333435363738394041 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1207

Thread: Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Default Re: Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Don't believe the hype...it's mostly fluff. Both the tangible and abstract.

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Even better than slippers, just get a pair of soft rubber soled slip-ons. Or deck shoes. Or sneakers loosely laced so you can slip them on/off. And then just keep them dedicated to indoor use. I find this is better than just slippers because of the added protection.
    Nope! Nothing's better than slippers. Nothing......... Nothing nothing nothing.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Nope! Nothing's better than slippers. Nothing......... Nothing nothing nothing.

~ Chance
    Just treated myself to a new pair of slippers tonight. To Xevious' point, I also have a pair of deck shoes but they're kind of flimsy. These slippers have a foam lining that should help protect me from what physicists refer to as an inelastic collision involving my toes.

Light Brands in Rotation: FW3A, Zebralight, Jetbeam, Lumintop, RovyVon, Olight, Astrolux, Nitecore, NovaTac

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Doc, whaddya mean my blood pressure is up? I work out all the time!

From many years ago -

If you make a backup of your data but you don't check to see if the backup is good, you don't have a backup.

From this morning -

Don't let your skin get caught between a large-ish neodymium magnet and anything made of steel.

Yep !

We got some of those magnets,
    each about the size of a Domino.

Told my buddy --
    THESE are so powerful, they're SCARY ! ! !
    :-O

He LAUGHED and said:
    " How can those little magnets be SCARY ? ? ?"

He quickly found out . . . .

_

Yep!

We have a pair I removed from an old hard drive. You try to tell people before handing them over. "Be careful. These are Mighty Mouse strong." But for some reason, perhaps their small size, people just have to find out the hard way.

SNAP!

~ cG
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Those are all over the Amazon warehouse; they often aren't packaged well and if they stick to anything that ends up rubbing/abrading other things, the packaging fails and now there's magnets everywhere that everyone finds an irresistible fidget, so they're all over the shelving, the desks, the ceiling, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Those are all over the Amazon warehouse; they often aren't packaged well and if they stick to anything that ends up rubbing/abrading other things, the packaging fails and now there's magnets everywhere that everyone finds an irresistible fidget, so they're all over the shelving, the desks, the ceiling, etc.
    The ceiling. Reminds me of the scene in the movie Car Wash when they were sticking butter to the ceiling.

If they're not packaged properly they might theoretically never get delivered to the customer because they would stick to everything along the way!

BTW mine is about the size of a half a stick of butter. Bring it close to anything steel and it goes >>>THOCK!<<<

A new bottle of eye wash should never be difficult to open! I'm lookin' at you, B&L.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    A new bottle of eye wash should never be difficult to open! I'm lookin' at you, B&L.
    Always open the Band-Aid wrapper before you slice your finger open.

Always open the Band-Aid wrapper before you slice your finger open.
    Lol. That was the other thing I was thinking of, Chauncey. Band-aids shouldn't be difficult to open either. Usually they're not unless you're bleeding!

Oh, and a metal band-aids box should never be used to store anything except band-aids. Once while I was at a relative's house and suddenly needed one, I opened the box and found q-tips. Found a second box, opened it and... bobby pins.
    Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 04-18-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Lol. That was the other thing I was thinking of, Chauncey. Band-aids shouldn't be difficult to open either. Usually they're not unless you're bleeding!

Oh, and a metal band-aids box should never be used to store anything except band-aids. Once while I was at a relative's house and suddenly needed one, I opened the box and found q-tips. Found a second box, opened it and... bobby pins.
    "HELLO? HELP! ANYONE? I'M BLEEDING, HERE!"

"HELLO? HELP! ANYONE? I'M BLEEDING, HERE!"
    Speaking of...

When opening up a modern, business grade desktop PC from a big name manufacturer, you would expect that the sheet metal parts would be fully de-burred or rolled to prevent sliced fingers.

You would be wrong. I'm lookin' at you, H-P.

I usually take contact paper and cover over the outside, because those tin metal boxes are pretty useful. Of course today, they're going the way of the Dodo bird.
    Light Brands in Rotation: FW3A, Zebralight, Jetbeam, Lumintop, RovyVon, Olight, Astrolux, Nitecore, NovaTac

Awhile back I was starting to get sinus infections far more often than usual. It turned out to be a bad tooth. Once I got it taken care of, the recurring sinus infections disappeared. Take care of your teeth.

First, something I learned the easy way, it couldn't be any easier, by sitting in a classroom and reading it from a book: In the jungle, it is survival of the fittest. Biggest tooth, biggest claw, fasted reaction. Maim or be maimed. Maim or be killed. Kill or be maimed. Kill or be killed. This is the number one law in the jungle. The Law of Survival, in the jungle, the number one law, expressed in the four forms that it exists in.

Next, the thing in life I learned the hard way. It was very hard, due to years of denial of the truth, and also due to extreme harshness of the lessons.

The thing that I learned the hard way is that in the single family residential neighborhoods in America, the Number One Law of Survival is exactly the same as in the jungle.
    Think of how evil the average person is, and realize half of them are eviler than that.

Today I learned that silicone self-fusing tape fuses really fast. I had to re-work a coaxial connection after taping it up, and the only way I could get the tape back off was with a knife.

Today I learned that silicone self-fusing tape fuses really fast. I had to re-work a coaxial connection after taping it up, and the only way I could get the tape back off was with a knife.
    LOL
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Water and electricity don't play well together

Social distancing has shown me that future jobs can be practiced from home. Most employers will want to have employees who work from home because it is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by chassesauvage View Post
    Social distancing has shown me that future jobs can be practiced from home. Most employers will want to have employees who work from home because it is cheaper.
    Less traffic, less pollution, cost savings to both employees and employers, etc. Could be the silver lining. Working from home presents problems that limited how often you could do it or whether you can do it at all however being forced to shows it can work. Not all jobs of course but many, maybe the majority.

Know the value of your worth. If you feel like you are underappreciated or exploited, leave the people who are at fault for it behind, no matter how much it hurts.

Never take a sleeping pill with a laxative!

Code Brown!

So here we are staying at home due to Covid-19, I'm not working and the grand kids get their home schooling done in a few hours, so we have lots of free time on our hands.
    One of the bicycles has bald, threadbare tires, and my daughter ordered a new set and tubes.
    This is a teaching/learning opportunity for my almost 15 y/o twin grand-kids.

So here we go!

The nuts on the axles on the inside and outside of the frame are usually different sizes, so you'll have to get the right size wrenches to fit.

You'll turn them this way, while holding pressure on the inside nut so as not to tighten or loosen the bearings.
    You can't just push the wrench onto the nut, you have to line it up... the flat side of the opening goes to the flat side of the nut.

In removing the tire from the rim, you may find it easier if you push the tire on the other side into the center so that it makes the side you are trying to take off a little easier.

Here is a pair of specialty tools to pry the tire, outside of the rim. Don't pinch the tube.

I didn't realize that I had learned so many little tricks to bicycle care.

Of course... like my son 20 years ago, they didn't need any instruction.

I strolled into the garage, to plug in my compressor.

I learned... give them some instruction, until they are like... "I GOT this Poppy!"
    Knowing darn well, that they don't, I'll walk away. Then after they struggle for a while, I'll come back with a hint or two, and if that doesn't do it, then I'll complete the portion of the task while they are watching, and then give it back to them.

It took a long time before my son learned that sometimes I know what I am talking about.

One time, he was doing disk brakes on the front of his bronco. Pads, and rotors.
    I was binge watching The Walking Dead. I realized he was still out in the driveway with a couple of friends. I went out to see how he was doing, cause he should have been done. He couldn't get the rotor off.

I walked over to his tool box, opened the bottom drawer, pulled out a big ball peen hammer. One strike, the rotor was loose.

I just got a look.

I went back to TWD and 20 minutes later he was done.

I think the time that was the clincher of "Holy snot, sometimes my dad does know his stuff!" Was when he was replacing a radiator in his Jeep. The bottom bolts were loose, but just wouldn't come out. I suggested that the bottom of the radiator may really have slits in them that you can just slide it in place and tighten up the top bolts.
    No Dad... they have to come out. He had already been at it for a while.

I looked at the replacement radiator, and sure enough... slits.

Son... take a look at this. Try to just lift your radiator out.

Son of a B...

Well, his jeep was a manual shift, no need for a automatic trans cooler lines. The replacement radiator, had lines for the auto trans, and they were just capped off with little rubber caps, to keep dirt or debris from getting in there. He was concerned that coolant would leak out. I tried to explain to him that it was a closed system, and that the tubing just coils around inside the bottom of the tank and comes out the other end. If you don't believe me, then blow into the top of the radiator, and see if any air comes out of the little tubes.

I was pleased to see him blow into the top of the radiator, and check. Then he installed the new radiator, and it worked great!

That I believe was the turning point.
    He had lots of little problems with that Jeep, many of them rusted, so he learned about WD-40 and using a heat wrench.
    He rarely needs my help any more, but he's no longer too proud to ask my thoughts.

In time.... my grand kids will come around too.
    I just hope I live that long.
    Ah... I'm sure I will.
    Long life genes runs strong in my family.
    Last edited by Poppy; 05-17-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Yesterday I learned if you drop your smartphone on your bare foot, it REALLY hurts!

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30333435363738394041 LastLast