flashaholic visiting hong kong

kasey197

Newly Enlightened
anyone from HK know which shops at Ap Liu Street or anyplace else to shop? Any tips on nice bargains to be had?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a flashaholic tip, but a tip nonetheless: if you buy USB thumb drives, memory cards or flash-based mp3 players, always make sure to carry a notebook computer with the appropriate checking and formatting utilities with you (standard windows format probably won't do).

There have been many cases of flash memory devices with hacked firmwares reporting far more capacity than they actually have. I fell victim to one such scam too (although it was an eBay seller who eventually refunded me), and let me tell you, it's not pleasant.

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
same here, I'm in Jiangsu china and going to HK tomorrow.
I think Shenzhen might be better for us flashaholics than HK, It's only an hour away anyways.

tankahn

Newly Enlightened
I got an hour to spend at Ap Liu Street. Most of the hardware shops are still stocked with Maglites, Streamlights, Princeton tec hotwires, with the old high prices. Its hard to find any li-ons batteries besides the RC123. The street stalls are different. Got a Romisen CREE 18650 light that comes with a holder for 3AAA batteries. Bought a pair of Trustfire protected 18650 batteries along with it. All for HK$250 (US$32) for my multiple acquisition disorder.

Earlier on, I paid a visit to Supreme Co at Dundas Street, near Mong Kok subway station which is 2 stops away. You can find the latest Surefire lights and tactical styles urban wear by 5.11 and Blackhawk. Needless to say, I bought another 6P and G2 there, just for the P60 drop-ins I ordered from Deal Extreme.

Got home last night and found a note from my postman to collect another light.

anyone from HK know which shops at Ap Liu Street or anyplace else to shop? Any tips on nice bargains to be had?

Windscale

Enlightened
It is easy to go mad in Apliu Street. You will need to take out a mortgage if you stayed longer. Good Luck.