Mind blowing question

sourcehill

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a L1. When I compare the output on my wall, it seems my new L1 at 65 lumens is a good amount brighter than my Novatac 120E on high. What gives? Why is the L1 brighter? Isn't the Novatac supposed to be 2x as bright? Help a newbie figure out what could be a stupid question. Thanks!

Carpenter

Enlightened
SureFire is always low on the lumens they report their lights to have. Some other companies are known to report high. Some report at the emitter, some report after the lens.

It also takes an increase of about 50% more lumens if my memory is correct before your eyes actually see a difference in light.

Dadof6

Enlightened
Additionally, the L1's beam is more focused than Novatac's beams. So although the center of the L1's beam might be brighter than the center of the beam on the Novatac, the Novatac usually has more side spill.

The better mind blowing question is does the L1 go in the right front pocket with the Novatac in the left, or vice a versa.

sourcehill

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I did notice that the L1 has barely any spill while the Novatac has a nice amount of spill. Thanks for the responses guys. I am all the wiser thanks to you.

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
A good way to compare brightness is to do the ceiling bounce test. Just shine the flashlight at the ceiling and look around the room.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire is always low on the lumens they report their lights to have. Some other companies are known to report high. Some report at the emitter, some report after the lens.

It also takes an increase of about 50% more lumens if my memory is correct before your eyes actually see a difference in light.

In this case it's the L1 with an optic focusing most of the lumens into a tight beam, whlie the Novatac's lumens are spread out in a wider beam with a larger and softer hot spot, and brighter spill, etc.

My L1 seems to be more around 80 lumens out the front. The Novatac should be 120 lumens out the front.

Latest posts