what rechargeable batteries would be suitable for the Fenix TK10?

The Fred

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, what rechargeable batteries would be suitable for the Fenix TK10? fenixtactical.com says it uses 2x 3v CR123A batteries.

Anyone know where I can get 3v protected batteries and a half decent charger for less than $65 a set. Seems a bit expensive for batteries and a charger?:eek: Then again, I could be completely wrong and there is no option other than running it on dry cells the whole time, or buying the battery set from fenixtactical.com.:tinfoil:

Please assist the fred!

Cheers!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK10 can also use 2 x 3.7 V RCR123 batteries, which have a lot more capacity than the 3.0 V type. Lots of charger + battery deals are around.

In the US sources (stuff is all made in China, I think) include Batteryjunction and you can get a set from Fenix Store itself.

I haven't had time to look them up yet but I expect DX and Kai all have some RCR123 and charger packages for cheaper if you don't mind a wait. Also China Quality Goods has them, I think.

Last edited:

meuge

Enlightened
Hi there, what rechargeable batteries would be suitable for the Fenix TK10? fenixtactical.com says it uses 2x 3v CR123A batteries.

Anyone know where I can get 3v protected batteries and a half decent charger for less than $65 a set. Seems a bit expensive for batteries and a charger?:eek: Then again, I could be completely wrong and there is no option other than running it on dry cells the whole time, or buying the battery set from fenixtactical.com.:tinfoil:

Please assist the fred!

Cheers!
The buck converter in the Fenix TK10 handles 3.7V RCR123s just fine - you don't need to get the 3V ones.

I use 2 AW protected RCR123s that I bought, along with the charger from fenix-store.com and they work great. The runtime difference between the 3.0V and 3.7-4.2V rechargeables is substantial.

I bought the batteries plus charger for about $26 I think, all together.

The Fred

Newly Enlightened
I apologise if Im irritating anyone here, but are you absolutely sure that the circuitry in the TK10 can handle a higher voltage than the batteries stated on their site?
I checked on fenixtactical and on the description of the batteries, it says that their batteries that have an output of 3.7v straight after charging, but the circuit in the battery itself regulates the voltage immediately. So Im just inquiring again if the torch itself can handle lets say, the standard Ultrafire 3.6V 880mAh LC 16340 Protected batteries from DX?

This is merely a caution Im taking because Im getting the TK10 as soon as I solve a couple of issues.

ps. If not, I'll buy the 3v Tenergy RCR combo deal from battery junction-thanks so much for that link!!

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh, it's not like anyone here can give you legal guarantees, so you can sue them if something goes wrong with your light. You are responsible for what you choose to do.

That said, the type of circuit in the Fenix T lights is understood and commonly accepted by the knowledgeable around here as being able to handle the 7.2V to 8.4 V of 2x3.7V RCRs in series, and many (most?) owners do just that; and there have been no reported failures to that voltage level (and well beyond...). Note: the flashlight circuit regulates the LED current to be correct, independent of source voltage over a range of ~ 5.8 V to something well over 9 V. The circuit will provide whatever voltage is required to get the correct current flow to the LED up to the maximum voltage available from the batteries. The circuit in the 3.6 V battery keeps the battery from being damaged from misuse. The circuit in the (I assume protected) 3.0V battery similarly protects the battery and drops 0.7V or so from the output once current is drawn from the battery. This "dropping" eats up power and is part of why the 3.0V rechargeables have significantly (30%?) less capacity than similar 3.7 V rechargeables.

If it REALLY bothers you, don't. But I don't think it bothers anyone else here...

Last edited:

GregU2

Newly Enlightened
I have the 3 volt Tenergy set up and the run time is very poor. In my Inova T2 that will run regulated for 5 hours with primaries, I only get about 50 min. on the 3 volt RCR123a batteries before it dims right down. Also, they don't drain evenly. One will show very little charge while the other shows almost a full charge. I've tried all different combinations of batteries and flashlights and the results are pretty much the same.

That being said, they do work better with single cell lights.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The circuit has been tested to 12v by some members here(The P3D has been tested to 16v). So going by that, pretty much all RCR123s should work.

:welcome:

Last edited:

Bunk3r

Newly Enlightened
note the DX protected ultrafires are two long (prevents the head been skrewed down for high mode), stick with AW's. the extra voltage or RCR123A'sis only an issue on fenix 1 cell lights.