surefire Runtime question

germanshepherd

Newly Enlightened
I have the G2L and saw the runtime charts but my question is this. Are those runtime charts based on keeping the light on constantly? It appears to be that way. If I use my light for just a few minutes here and there each day will it still run down at the same rate or will I basically always have pretty much full brightness (lumes) each time I go to use it if only using it for a few minutes per day? I hope this makes sense..thanks

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Some of their runtimes are of usable runtime(they state usable as a minimal of 1 lumen) while others state regulated runtime.

As for your question(this is only a guess, it's more of a battery question and I don't know much about batteries), the batteries might recover a bit but they should still run down at a similar rate.

You can also use rechargeable batteries. There are also drop-in for more output if you need more.

germanshepherd

Newly Enlightened
gunner..thanks..I do not like rechargeables due to the self discharge rate. I do not have a light meter but it just seems my G2L is always as bright each time I use it but that is going by the naked eye. Maybe I will see more of a difference as I keep using it etc.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Li-ion batteries discharge much less the most NiMh batteries.

There are also NiMh batteries that have a low self discharge.

If you only use the light a few minutes at a time, it should last you for a month or more, so rechargeable might not be worth it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Your G2L will light up at its brightest each time you turn it on after several minutes in between uses. If you let it run the output will drop quite a bit if you have the Nitralon head. The Aluminnum head will be more forgiving in this aspect. I would suggest that the run time will be a little shorter with intermittant use than if left on constantly. The LED will be more efficient when only on for a few minutes, drawing full spec current, this for the Nitralon head version. If left on for extended periods of time the heat sensor will drop the output and lower the current to the Led which would allow for longer regulated runtime at a reduced output. The aluminum head version of the G2L will maintain its full output longer, and intermittant use runtime will be similiar to full on run time, though I must add, even the AL head version will drop output when extremely hot.

So, if you have a G2L with Nitralon head and full on runtime in regulation (mostly full output) is about 3 hours, then the intermittent use may result in runtime, when added up, of less than three hours. If you use the aluminum head version and the runtime is 2 hours in regulation then intermittent total time in regulation will be about 2 hours, probably a little more.

Yes, it will be bright for a considerable time, each turn on.

More than I intended to say.

Bill

germanshepherd

Newly Enlightened
Bill, you answered my question perfectly..thank you.
Gunner..understood about the rechargeables. I like to put a light away and know it will work weeks or months down the road. The re-chargeable CR123A's discharge to fast for me..I do not mind the cost of non-rechargables. thanks both for your input.