Cheap but effective 3D mod for non-flashaholic.

KingSmono

Enlightened
One of my buddies wants me to re-vamp his 3D maglight, but he's not looking to spend a lot of money. So, I'm thinking about putting in some PVC pipe and using 4C cells in his light, with some kind of after market bulb. Any tips on what bulb to use, and where to get it from? I figure this will be brighter and cheaper than one of those LED drop-ins, but I could be wrong. Also, will I have to modify the spring when I cram in 4C cells?

kavvika

Enlightened
You'll need to flip the spring over so the narrow part recesses itself in the tailcap. You can use the stock krypton bulb, which should be happily overdriven. It's an easy, cheap, incan mod. The only way to go brighter for cheap is to spend $30 for the KD Cree Q5 module.

Last edited:

Timson

Enlightened
You're not going to get a stellar leap in performance with 4 cells.
The quickest and cheapest upgrade with 4 cells would be to just use the stock 3 cell bulb. Overdriving it in this way makes it brighter and whiter - but shorter lived.

Tim.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that alks won't last long under 2 amps...you need 5 nimh.
the best bulb with 4 alks is mag 3D bulb.

BTW, with a more powerful bulb you'll need to replace reflector and standard lens because with high heat they'll melt down!

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you can really do any mods that are especailly significant on normal alkaline batteries without going to some sort of LED. There's only so much power that an alkaline battery can effectively supply, so to get enough extra output to be worth doing any mods IMO, it's necessary to have higher power-efficiency.

I can understand not wanting to pay the $70ish price for a malkoff turnkey drop in, but if you're willing to do some soldering/gluing, you could build something simliar for around $30 by buying a heatsink, driver, and SSC emitter.

Greg G

Enlightened
Get a heatsink from H22A, a Seoul P4 USWOH or USVOH emiiter from Photonfanatic, and wire it straight up to 3 alks. Cheap, longlasting, and troublefree.

If he wants more he's going to have to spend more.

KingSmono

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to find out what his absolute MAX budget is for this mod, and then go from there. I'll report back when I get that info.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my advice: Buy a 3D Maglite LED upgrade for $10 shipped from one of the sellers in the CPFMarketPlace.

KingSmono

Enlightened
Alright, so his budget is $60. If I needed to, I'd probably pitch in a couple more bucks for him... I really think alkalines will be the best bet for his use, because I don't think he'll want to deal with charging... and worrying about over-discharging, etc. Are the Malkoff drop-ins the best bang-for-buck in that price range using alkys?

scottaw

Enlightened
If he's using a bulb now, i'd definately say $10 for a magled module, everyone here says they're not bright enough, blah, blah, but it really is a very nice upgrade, about double brightness, very white, and VERY long running.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he's using a bulb now, i'd definately say $10 for a magled module, everyone here says they're not bright enough, blah, blah, but it really is a very nice upgrade, about double brightness, very white, and VERY long running.
And, you can swap in a SSC P4 U bin LED to soup it up further with a little work. :naughty:

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
For $60 I'll build him a P4 drop-in for a D size Mag. Better yet, catch a Malkoff for another $20.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Get a heatsink from H22A, a Seoul P4 USWOH or USVOH emiiter from Photonfanatic, and wire it straight up to 3 alks. Cheap, longlasting, and troublefree.

If he wants more he's going to have to spend more.

Something along these lines is simple and cheap and bright. An alternative heatsink you might consider is a Hotlips available from "The Shoppe". The bulb holder will need to be cut down as well as the cam on the reflector will have to be removed. Glue the emitter,and solder some wires from the switch to the LED and that's about it.

cheers,

zwf