First mod: P7 in 3C Mag (need advice)

smopoim86

Enlightened
I'm interested in modding my 3c maglite wit a p7. I have a few questions.
  • Heatsink isn't an issue, i can make it.
  • Would i be able to direct drive it with C batteries(NiMH) or maybe bore the barrel to accept 9 AA(is this possible)?
  • Which reflector would work best? From what i have read, a medium stipple will allow for the smoothest beam.
  • Is there anywhere I could get a different bin P7 other than the ones KaiDomain and DX have?
  • Any other issues i should be aware of?
I have experience modding other devices (xboxes, voldmodding video cards, and case modding) so I do not think the difficulty should be an issue. I also have any tools i think i should need (lathe, small milling machine, assorted handtools).

Thanks in advance for the advice. I'm not a flashoholic, but i love modding things and thought this could be fun (and rather useful).

Daniel

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The C bin is the most efficient one out, so just look for that.

Direct driving the P7 from 3 NiMh C batteries should be fine.

9AAs won't fit.

The stock Maglite reflector should work. You'll get something like this.

Maybe swap the window for a UCL one so more light can pass through?

You say you aren't a flashoholic, but just wait ;)

:welcome:

smopoim86

Enlightened
Ok, I ordered a p7 (c bin), mop reflector, and a decent lens. I'm actually modding this 3c because it's an old one that the bulb base has been damaged. I figure i'll give it the life it never had.

BTW, I guess the best way to describe my stage of flashoholic is newbie. I've always loved flashlights but just recently realized (while looking at crap on DX) that high output leds were in my price range.

Tidra

Enlightened
Where did you buy MOP REFLECTOR?

I am looking for some medium stipple reflector for MagLite too.

Cheers,
Iztok

smopoim86

Enlightened
I got it from KaiDomain as well. I do not think he has any stipple reflectors or i would have gotten that.
http://www.google.com/search?q=m*g ...omain.com&sitesearch=http://www.KaiDomain.com
that's all the mag reflectors they have. I really wanted Stipple instead of OP, but at $15 I cant really complain.

One thing i'm wondering. I beleive i have read that the base of the p7 is connected to the positive side of the circuit. Is this correct? If so, would simply running the batteries with the housing being + solve the issue of possible shorting?

Thanks
Daniel