SF L1 questions

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, got a couple questions about the surefire L1. I am having trouble with the search function and can't seem to find the answers to these although I am sure they have mostly been covered before so please excuse my asking again.
I am thinking of buying a new L1 cree edition

1. can this light run on either std 3.7 (4.2)V rechargeables OR the Teneregy 3.2V limited rechargeables sold by MattK?

2. Have there been more than one version of the L1 Cree and how would I be able to tell the difference while it was still in the box? I know there was the original with the TIR optic and the new one seems to be using a reflector. Just two versions or are there more?

3. Anyone know which bin cree is used in the latest (q5 wc, etc?).

4. Also, on a different note, does anyone know if the two stage E1L uses a two stage tailcap like the L1 or clicks between stages like the E1B?

Thanks in advance guys,
-Pete

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all, got a couple questions about the surefire L1. I am having trouble with the search function and can't seem to find the answers to these although I am sure they have mostly been covered before so please excuse my asking again.

1. can this light run on either std 3.7 (4.2)V rechargeables OR the Teneregy 3.2V limited rechargeables sold by MattK?

2. Have there been more than one version of the L1 Cree and how would I be able to tell the difference while it was still in the box? I know there was the original with the TIR optic and the new one seems to be using a reflector. Just two versions or are there more?

4. Also, on a different note, does anyone know if the two stage E1L uses a two stage tailcap like the L1 or clicks between stages like the E1B?

Thanks in advance guys,
-Pete

Hi Pete!

1 - I think not. Don´t know certainly, but I know SF doesn´t like rechargeables cells.

2 - I think the L1 Cree has just ONE version. But here in CPF we saw some differences between the glass window: some as frosted, some as crystal clear. But I think there is just one version.

3 - I don´t know, sorry.

4 - Don´t know either, sorry.

:thumbsup:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The current L1.

No. Use only SureFire SF123A batteries.

SureFire have never released an L1 with a reflector.
The current L1's TIR optic can be mistaken for a reflector.
With the current L1 SureFire appears to have experimented with various window frostings. I believe SureFire have since settled and are only producing a single L1.

I'm not aware of SureFire ever releasing this information and whilst I'm sure people are happy to guess, I don't believe anybody knows for certain.

The dual output E1L/E2: use a clicking UI to switch between the dual output levels.
The L1/A2/L2/K2 etc use a two-stage push button pressure switch. It is altogether different from the clicking UI used by the dual output E1L/E2L.

bobofish

Newly Enlightened
Are all the two stage L1's Crees?
I keep hearing L1 Cree, which presupposes another version....is it just differentiated from a previous one stage L1?

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep hearing L1 Cree, which presupposes another version....is it just differentiated from a previous one stage L1?

There were previous generations of L1s that didn't use Cree LEDs. We just use the term L1 Cree so we know we're talking about the latest iteration of the L1 :)

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

The L1 has always been a two-stage light. Major variations are the emitter and the type of optic or window, but there are lots of other variations as well (body styles, for example).

bobofish

Newly Enlightened
My new L1 is serial number AO2661 with outputs of 10 and 65 lumens. It's not easy at the moment for me to take a picture, but is there any way of knowing if it's a cree or not?
I suppose in the end it doesn't matter too much, but I sure would like to have the "latest" iteration of the L1.
On the head it just says "caution hot surface" and it has one of those white dots to line up with the on setting of the twisty.

discohero

Newly Enlightened
As to RCR123's, I've used the tenergys that you mentioned since I've owned the light (Nov. '07). No problems whatsoever, of course the run time is less than that of primaries.

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
SureFire have never released an L1 with a reflector. The current L1's TIR optic can be mistaken for a reflector.
With the current L1 SureFire appears to have experimented with various window frostings. I believe SureFire have since settled and are only producing a single L1.

Thanks for all the info Al, I was wondering about that TIR thing. Couldn't seem to figure it out and the guy at the local shop wasn't really helping. The search feature won't allow me to search for articles on "surefire L1 cree" or any variation because the search term "L1" is too short, please try again in 60 seconds.

Thanks also about the E1L switching mode. So it operates the same way as the E1B then?

As to RCR123's, I've used the tenergys that you mentioned since I've owned the light (Nov. '07). No problems whatsoever, of course the run time is less than that of primaries.
Great to know, thanks!

On another note, I seem to remember reading somewhere somebody talking about their L1 cree being a serial number after such and such a number, therefore being the most recent version. Does anyone know what the serial number would start after to be sure of the latest version? thanks!

-Pete

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks also about the E1L switching mode. So it operates the same way as the E1B then?
The E1L/E2L come on low first, high second.
Whereas the E1B comes on high first, low second.

On another note, I seem to remember reading somewhere somebody talking about their L1 cree being a serial number after such and such a number, therefore being the most recent version. Does anyone know what the serial number would start after to be sure of the latest version? thanks!
I don't believe this can be a reliable method.
Serial numbers are almost only for being able to tell one from the next since the lights are assembled in batches and trays of serial-number etched components can be completed before over components of the light.

Spence

Enlightened
Hey guys-
The L1 Cree was my first SF LED and my EDC. I've got about fifteen Sf's in my blossoming collection, but the L1 is my favorite and I loved it right out of the package with no need for modification. I've learned a few interesting facts about it tonight and I just want to thank you, fellas, for the edumacation.
crackup.gif
wink2.gif

Spence