Help me decide: Novatac 120T or 120E??

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my brand new Novatac 120E in the mail. My rational for getting the 120E over the 120T was that this will be my go-to light for around the house, general purpose and weekend EDC light. I thought that getting the 'E' version with a higher mid-range mode of 42 lumens would make it a better all purpose light. Going from 10 lumens to 120 lumens in the T model seemed like a pretty big leap.

Now with everything I'm reading and all the CPFr's that seem to like the low-low of the 120T, I'm wondering if I should just keep this light all sealed-up in its package and throw it out on CPFMP so I can break even on it, and get the 120T instead.

Help! It's killing me not opening this thing...hurry - I don't think I can hold out much longer....:sick2:

-Rich

Last edited:

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
Do you want to have it come on at full-blast every time? If not, stick with the E. Been thinking about getting one myself, as a brighter, upgrade to my 85p that costs less than the 120P.

mikeyx

Enlightened
Rich,

That's why I love my 120P. You can have low-low and space out the remaining lumen jumps any way that you like.

Mike

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you want to have it come on at full-blast every time? If not, stick with the E. Been thinking about getting one myself, as a brighter, upgrade to my 85p that costs less than the 120P.

No I don't, but with the Novatac's I thought that you could get to any mode you wanted by a double-click, triple-click, etc. without having to cycle through the various modes to get to the one you wanted. Is that just with the 120P?

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be nice, but I don't want to spend the extra money for the programmability. Plus, I really don't want to have to mess with programming it, resetting it, etc., and I thought I might avoid some of the problems people have experienced by buying the non-programmable version.

Rich,

That's why I love my 120P. You can have low-low and space out the remaining lumen jumps any way that you like.

Mike

maroast

Newly Enlightened
My 120T should be here tomorrow :party: I guess you really have to ask yourself what you want the light for...I'm not rich and this light isnt going to be part of a massive collection, so the choice had to be pretty well thought out for a $110 flashlight.

I briefly looked at the EDC...I liked the light output spread, but since it lacked the disorientating strobe I chose not to get that model.

I too was hesitant to go with the "T" because of its 0.3, 10, and 120 program....so I began to look at the "P"

From what I gather, the "P" can pretty much be programed to act like a "T"....then if you want the tactical button (which I did), thats another $20....so all in all, it was going to cost me an extra $60 to have a little more regularly space output setting. Not really worth it for what I do (and want to do with this light).

I did a lot of research and decided to go with the "T". I can live with using the 10L in most of the time...and having the 120L when I need it. Also, I wanted this light to be my EDC, and I really like the idea of going from "off" to "disorientating strobe" in a click...then following up with the little fella on the far right if needed :eek:
TiBezels.jpg

Does that help you at all???

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 120T should be here tomorrow :party: I guess you really have to ask yourself what you want the light for...I'm not rich and this light isnt going to be part of a massive collection, so the choice had to be pretty well thought out for a $110 flashlight.

I briefly looked at the EDC...I liked the light output spread, but since it lacked the disorientating strobe I chose not to get that model.

I too was hesitant to go with the "T" because of its 0.3, 10, and 120 program....so I began to look at the "P"

From what I gather, the "P" can pretty much be programed to act like a "T"....then if you want the tactical button (which I did), thats another $20....so all in all, it was going to cost me an extra $60 to have a little more regularly space output setting. Not really worth it for what I do (and want to do with this light).

I did a lot of research and decided to go with the "T". I can live with using the 10L in most of the time...and having the 120L when I need it. Also, I wanted this light to be my EDC, and I really like the idea of going from "off" to "disorientating strobe" in a click...then following up with the little fella on the far right if needed :eek:
TiBezels.jpg

Does that help you at all???

Actually, this helps quite a bit, thanks. I don't really care about the strobe, as I have a plethora of other tactical lights with strobe that I will be using outdoors or in situations when it would more likely be needed. I highly doubt I will be using this light in tactical situations.

I would like the momentary tailcap though, and its nice to know I can upgrade later if I want. I am more interested in the usefulness of the low-low over the additional mid-range of the EDC. I am leaning back toward the EDC the more I think about it. I also really like the look of those bezels - have a link?

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
I did a fair beit of research too, and ended up getting a 120P, I have set it up for .12 L, 1 or 2 L ( not sure whic) and 10 L, finally the 120 L.
having used it for a few months now, and reprogrammed it a few times I can say that I only use the .12 and the 1-2 L modes, very occasionally the 10L just to play with, and never the 120L, I have also set up the off after 5 mins mode.

I would say go with the P if you can, I love the fact that, I can reprogramme it to do pretty much what i want, so if I am going through a dodgy bit of town, i can slap on strobe, or if I am going caving slap on locator...just the functionality of the P made it worthwhile to me...

cfromc

Enlightened
I have the 120P and if you like to mess with things, i.e. modify and change them, then the P is the way to go. If you don't want to mess with it and want to keep it as simple as possible (for a 4-more light that is) then I think the EDC is best. The 120T is a "tactical" light and if you aren't in LE or need maximum power immediately, I just don't see that its needed. If I were traveling to the middle of nowhere, the 120P would be one of the lights I'd take with the SOS, Emer. Strobe and the 20+ brightness levels. Otherwise, for 99% of us the EDC should accomplish what we need. Now that the prices are different for each model, the EDC is the best value IMO. Previously, with each light the same price, the 120P was hard to pass up. I'm thinking about buying a gift for friend who does not spend hours a day thinking about flashlights and I think the EDC is definitely the best fit in that situation also.

chaoss

Enlightened
Hi Rich,
Open that bad boy up and start enjoying some really nice light. I have the 120e & 120p and while it's nice to program a light to my specific needs, the factory presets on the 120e have been a perfect balance for me.
One of the best features on the 120p is it's ability to tailstand, a feature that i use often. But between the two that you mentioned, the e series is good to go.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
If you watch BST, quite a few 120Ps have gone for around $125 or so. I bought a perfect, mint 120P for exactly that price.

For the money, it is THE way to go:twothumbs

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for the 120P.

I prefer the T's tailcap but beyond that, I greatly prefer the ability to adjust the levels on the P. The problem with the T is that you only have access to a super high (short runtime), a super low (limited use but great runtime) and the 10 lumen level (nice but not adequate for some tasks). Between the T and the regular EDC, I prefer the EDC but between all 3, I definately prefer the P.

Good luck.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks much for all the input. Well, this thing is not going to the auction block...

Based on many of your comments, the EDC seemed to be the best choice between the two for the needs I stated, so I opened it up....Now I know what all the fuss is about!! :party::party::party:

I was extremely impressed at the build quality of this light when I first pulled it out of the box - it felt like an indestructable little tank! It easily rivals Surefire quality, including my L1 Cree. Perfect knurling (not too smooth, not too rough), great threads, perfect fit/finish, amazing feel in the hand. And then I shined it on the ceiling - what a beautiful beam! Where's all those cree rings?? I wanted a light with a lot of generous spill, and this thing more than impressed me in this area as well. I love how this light has a perfectly seamless transition from spot-to-spill.

Although not overall as bright as my L1, it has of course much better spill like I wanted and has more than enough light for what I will be using it for. This is the first light I've purchased with a Seoul emitter, and I absolutely love how smooth the beam is.

The one downside is the 10 lumen low which is not low enough for me. It is too bright to read with in the dark or dim lighting, and seems very bright when your eyes are dark-adjusted, or when entering a dark room trying not to disturb someone sleeping for instance. I've also already needed the flat tailcap of the 120T, so I'll be picking that up from Lighthound real soon.

That said, I am extremely happy with it and it will meet my needs 99% of the time. Everyone here made very good points about the 120P, and I did consider it. I ended up choosing the 120E over the 120P partly for the money ($99 for the 120E new in a sealed box), but I also didn't want to worry about the potential issues that come with the programmable version. I've just heard of too many problems with it so far, but they may all be a thing of the past, I don't know. Who knows though, I may like this light so much that I end up getting a 120P also someday.

I also discovered probably one of the best uses for this little beauty's locater beacon tonight, and I'll be throwing up a post about it here in a little while.:grin2:

-Rich

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rich, if you had to keep your 120E or your L1 which would you keep and why?

Ooooh, what you ask is impossible my friend...:eek:

To be honest, they are both so different but so perfectly useful at the same time it would be very difficult to choose. I always knew that the L1 was one of the most useful lights out there, but I just found another one in the Novatac.

Ok - my painful choice:

Both lights share the following qualities, so neither would be kept solely because of these factors:
  • Solid
  • Reliable
  • Indestructible
  • Excellent UI
  • Bright
  • Compact
  • Versatile
  • Clips :)
Here is where they differ:

The Surefire L1 is the best by far for use outdoors. It has a huge spot that just goes forever. It will rival some of the bigger lights for spotting objects at a distance, while lighting up a generous area with it's spot. Another thing that helps the L1 outdoors is the warmer tint which I prefer anyway as it helps give me better clarity and depth perception, but a warm tint is especially useful outdoors with the browns, greens, etc.

However, the optic of the L1 which concentrates the beam giving it the excellent throw it has, also severely limits it's side-spill. This is where the Novatac excels. The reason I wanted the Novatac was that the L1 though great outdoors, and indoors in some cases, lit up a much smaller area at a very close range due to mainly having a "spot" with little spill. The Novatac can be used at a very close range (indoor type uses) and still light up a very large area. The beam is so clean and provides such perfect coverage, it's like you just turned on a light. Also, using a light to look at things closely, you don't want a very strong spot overwhelming the side-spill - you just want the entire area lit. The Novatac has such a seamless spot-to-spill, that it makes it perfect for more close range use such as indoors, or outdoors looking in backyard/shed, etc., but not necessarily hiking in the woods. It is of course easily bright enough for these purposes, but it definitely will not compete with the L1 in that particular area. One other thing about the Novatac that makes it just so useful is the single-click low/ single-click off. I like the 2-stage pressure switch w/twist for constant on of the L1, but I'm finding the Novatac switch is a little more convenient for everyday use stuff.

So which one would I choose?...........

Well, based on the fact that I'm a big outdoor fanatic, which is one of the reasons I like flashlights so much, I would have to keep the L1. But, if you were to ask me which light I will be using most of the time as a go-to light around the house and endless other tasks, it will be the Novatac hands down.

Boy, I'm glad this is hypothetical because my Novatac's not going anywhere!

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
So for a "tactical light" with the strobe option and high lumen output, does the 120P fit the needs of a EDC light for defensive purposes?

I have a Surefire E2D that I've been carrying in my pocket for awhile now, but I've already ruined 2 back pockets due to the crenulated bezel. I also am looking for a LED light with the strobe option as this sounds like a practical mode for a defensive purpose. I love my E2D, but Surefire makes no strobe option on any ofit's lights that I'm aware of. Thanks in advance for any input!

Dan

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
forgive me for this question but what does the "E" stand for?
The "E" model stands for EDC. The three Novatac models are:
  • 120E - EDC (Everyday Carry)
  • 120T - Tactical edition
  • 120P - Programmable edition