KD's Q5 Maglite Drop In

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the KD's Q5 Maglite Drop In.

From ordering to shipping it took 7 days to Socal.

Costs $29.00.

Comes with no instructions.

Cree Q5.

2.0V to 4.5V Boost-Buck Current.

Fits Maglite 2 or 3 D sized lights.

Beam is ringy. Very slight yellow color. I like the Malkoff 2-3 D Drop In better. The Malkoff has a smoother beam and is brighter. The 3 Malkoffs I have whiter beams.

I would pay the extra money and purchase a Malkoff Maglite Drop In due to the brighter, smoother and whiter beam.

KD's Q5 Maglite Drop In

KDQ5DI002Small.jpg

KDQ5DI003Small.jpg

KDQ5DI004Small.jpg

Left, KD's Q5 Maglite Drop In. Right, Malkoff 2-3D Drop In

KDQ5DI005Small.jpg

KDQ5DI006Small.jpg

KDQ5DI007Small.jpg

No Thermal Paste! The Q5 sits on an aluminum cyndrical shaped pedestal.

KDQ5DI016Small.jpg

There are 2 separate pieces. The center screws out.

KDQ5DI017Small.jpg

KDQ5DI015Small.jpg

KDQ5DI011Small.jpg

The Q5 Drop In fits tight. The "tightness" of the fitting holds the drop in.

KDQ5DI010Small.jpg

KDQ5DI013Small.jpg

The base of the reflector needs to be cut off.

KDQ5DI014Small.jpg

After screwing the lens bezel assembly the drop in needs to sit this high in the reflector.

KDQ5DI008Small.jpg

KDQ5DISmall.jpg

KD's Q5 Maglite Drop In 3D Maglite @ 83"

KDQ5DI018Small.jpg

Maglite 3D Malkolf Drop-In at 83"

Malkoff009Small.jpg

KD's Q5 Maglite Drop In 3D Maglite @32'

KDQ5DISmall-1.jpg

Maglite 3D Malkolf Drop-In @32'

MalkoffSmall.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the lux readings I got. I am using a Meterman LM631 Light Meter measured at 1 meter. I waited 2 minutes before taking the readings. Both lights had fully charged. batteries. Radio Shack Rechargeable Nimh 4500mAh Batteries.

KD's Q5 Maglite Drop In 3D Maglite - 8860 lux @ 1 meter

Maglite 2D Malkolf Drop-In - 10,000 lux @ 1 meter

Maglite 3D Malkolf Drop-In - 12,580 lux @ 1 meter

Maglite 2C Malkoff Drop In - 8980 lux @ 1 meter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Maglite 2C Malkoff Drop In has a higher lux reading than the KD's Q5 Maglite Drop In 3D Maglite.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cree vs. the Malkoff SSC will obviously look ringy. Maybe try a textured reflector, or stipple your own reflector. That may help the Cree, but it may not be worth it if the output is already less than the Malkoff. :)

You could try using it in an aspheric mag set up with no reflector. :)

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics, as always, Ernie. Thank you. To me, there's no doubt that Gene makes a premium, hand-turned product. I'd like to know how the KD compares to the Terralux and or Magled; those are the real competition to me, not the Malkoff.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

ernsanada,
I'd be willing to send you a Malkoff stippled reflector if you need one...
icon3.gif

A simple thanks for your great reviews!

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review as usual erns! :thumbsup: Well from my experience with using Crees in a stock Mag reflector, I am not surprised with your results. I am quite sure KD's Mag dropin was only intended to be used with their aspherical lens as Crees seem to perform better than Seouls setup. Anyone who purchases this dropin to use with the stock reflector will most likely be disappointed. I bought two of these in a complete kit (Aspheric Lens, Bezel and Dropin) and am still awaiting to receive them.

LG&M

Enlightened
Would it be a problem to show a beamshot from a stock Mag 3D or Mag LED 3D. Thanks

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current draw is .72A using the Radio Shack 1.2V 4500mAh Nimh Rechargeable's Batteries.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I expect a ringy beam from the Cree. I think these were designed primarily for use with Kai's vaporware aspheric lens. I was disappointed to find that it was only driving the cree @ ~700 mA. But then again if it is as poorly heatsinked as some people suspect than perhaps that is as high as one should push it.
Thanks for the beamshots!

amv12

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I was seriously considering getting this, but not anymore.

kaidomain

Newly Enlightened
Dear Ernsanada:

Great review you have there. Do you mind to post up a runtime chart on malkoffdevice SSC drop-in? I doubt the higher output can remain constant overtime. With boost & buck current regulated circuit, 800mA is the max of what I can do.

Kai

kaidomain

Newly Enlightened
I expect a ringy beam from the Cree. I think these were designed primarily for use with Kai's vaporware aspheric lens. I was disappointed to find that it was only driving the cree @ ~700 mA. But then again if it is as poorly heatsinked as some people suspect than perhaps that is as high as one should push it.
Thanks for the beamshots!

With current regulated IC boost and buck IC, there is maximum current you can supplied to the LED. The accurate current is more likely to be 750-800mA. The LED is heatsinked probably, you just can't see the thermal paste under the LED.

Kai