Fenix LOD-Q4

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've had several LOD's in the past, tried them for a few hours, tested them and usually sold them due lack of interest on my part. With my recent quest to find a brighter, multi-stage 1xAAA based light to partner with my Arc-AAA DS, I decided to give those LED-Q4's a try. I needed a fix while waiting for my new Fenix E01's that I ordered, but that's a different story.

Anyway, my (3) black LOD's arrived today. I have to contact Customer Service for one of them, since it does not consistently activate and when it does, it flickers and loses its mind. The (2) remaining units are nice and I like them. They look no different than what I remember of my old LOD CE lights, but seem to have better output.

I'm interested in trying the 10440 in them to see for myself, the differences in brightness. Everything I've read tells me to get the cell from AW, but I was wondering if there was a local (within the US) that carries the AW-10440 cell? Also, is there a protected/non-protected version of the 10440 and if so, which is recommended?

I also have a few LiteFlux LF2X 1xAAA lights on the way and would want to try the 10440 in those lights as well, so I figured I might as well get several now.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Try cleaning the contacts on the flickering one? Alcohol swab might do wonders.

Also, as for as I know, there is no protected 10440 available from any manufacturer due to it's small size. It's too small for a protection circuit. Lighthound sells AW batteries, including the 10440. It's not a button top though, so you'll have to figure something else.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tin,

The 10440 cells only come unprotected. I have not seen any places local that carry them. From all the posting, the AW's do seem to be the recommended one.

The 10440 cell will work great in the LF but I choose not to use them in my LOD Q4 since it is not specifically designed for this cell and all the levels get bumped up - some people run thier LOD without problem though. I briefly tried one in mine and I had a slight flickering so I promptly took the cell out. I liked my LOD so much using just NiMh that I did not want to take a chance with the 10440. But YMMV.

m2usa

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting this note as I just got a new L0D from Fenix-Store as well and thought about using the 10440 in it too. I've been reading a lot of posts indicating that potentially some of the newer models may not work well with the 10440's? From what I can tell, the best cells seem to come from AW. The Ultrafires may not work for some reason (although many have used them to no ill affect.) If you do test yours out and it works, can you please post it here (and with which cells you used?) I'd appreciate it. Enjoy the new light!

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
:sigh: I'm unfortunately not too fond of my particular Lod Q4... It seems to be a real underachiever. its dimmer than the medium mode on my l2d which is only 50 some lumens and the low mode (11 lumens?) is dimmer then all my *comparable 5mm lights. (i dont know how my safelight drives the led but it's a nichis CS)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks Marduke. I'll try that. regulator, I didn't realize that about the 10440 and the LOD, so I guess I won't try that. I will get some anyway for the LiteFlux. m2usa, I've heard some not so good stories about the Ultrafires, that why I'm staying away from them. That sucks Lightalot. I know the feeling of being dissappointed in something you were so hyped about. Fortuneately, these two seem fine and hopefully the other will be after I clean it.

Marduke

Flashaholic
:sigh: I'm unfortunately not too fond of my particular Lod Q4... It seems to be a real underachiever. its dimmer than the medium mode on my l2d which is only 50 some lumens and the low mode (11 lumens?) is dimmer then all my *comparable 5mm lights. (i dont know how my safelight drives the led but it's a nichis CS)

#1 "issue", dirty contacts. Take an alcohol swab to the PCB and top of the body.

cv3po

Banned
Anyway, my (3) black LOD's arrived today. I have to contact Customer Service for one of them, since it does not consistently activate and when it does, it flickers and loses its mind. The (2) remaining units are nice and I like them. They look no different than what I remember of my old LOD CE lights, but seem to have better output.quote]

For the flickering one................I've heard that sometimes there is excess epoxy in the inside of the head that prevents contact (I'm speaking of the silver ring surrounding the + contact). Try gently trimming this excess off and making sure the top of the body is clean (as LOD's don't transfer current thru the threads, only the top ring) and that should do it. Good luck!

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the LOD-Q4, get a Streamlight Microstream, combine the two, add 10440s and you will have no complaints!

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check for excess glue at the edge of the circuit board where it meets the tube. Mine flickered unless I torqued it down. After cleaning up the glue, runs fine.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
AW ships pretty quickly, so buying directly from him might still be an option.

As Marduke said, no protected 10440 batteries are available.

As for flickering, clean contacts, check for anything that might block the way. If those don't help, ask for a replacement.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check for excess glue at the edge of the circuit board where it meets the tube. Mine flickered unless I torqued it down. After cleaning up the glue, runs fine.
+10

i had issues too, until i scraped away a tiny bit of the white epoxy on the edges around the PCB on my first LODQ4, the second to last batch of the LODs had this problem i think, cos second LODQ4 from the new batch (you can tell cos the area around the cree die is silvery coloured) is absolutely perfect.

Crenshaw

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my L0D Q4 but I it has two quirks I hope to find a solution to:

1. No memory. Always starts in medium (then low, high, SOS). Am I missing something?

2. The tailcap notch is annoyingly sharp (but not to the point of being a danger). Anyone find a neat way to cover it up? Like a rubber boot or something?:thinking:

Marduke

Flashaholic

1. No memory. Always starts in medium (then low, high, SOS). Am I missing something?

2. The tailcap notch is annoyingly sharp (but not to the point of being a danger). Anyone find a neat way to cover it up? Like a rubber boot or something?:thinking:

1) You're not missing anything. It always starts in medium. If you need low first, cover the end with a finger and cycle through medium to low. It's obvious as you cycle the modes (unlike holding it against your leg or something), and it avoids ruining your night vision or drawing unnecessary attention to yourself.

2) Try a little dab of glue, rubber coating, silicon or plastic plug carved to fit snuggly, heatshrink, etc.

lumenal

Enlightened

1. Yes. Strobe is between high and SOS.

2. Tiny dab of epoxy.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) You're not missing anything. It always starts in medium. If you need low first, cover the end with a finger and cycle through medium to low. It's obvious as you cycle the modes (unlike holding it against your leg or something), and it avoids ruining your night vision or drawing unnecessary attention to yourself.

2) Try a little dab of glue, rubber coating, silicon or plastic plug carved to fit snuggly, heatshrink, etc.
:cool: Thanks. The silicon plug idea sounds good.