Do I Really Need Something Other Than My Surefires???

umc

Enlightened
Hey all, I've been on a light kick lately and just can't get enough. Most recent was the M60's for my C2/C3 and a Photon Freedom and I have 50 fauxton's on the way from DX.

Anyway, I want more for some reason and don't know why or what. Check my signature and tell me if I really need to pickup anything else. I've been spending a lot of time on fenix-store.com lately and am wondering if any of their offerings will do something different or better than what I have.

I do think I'm going to pickup a LODQ4 just to throw in my watch pocket in my jeans but am I really good with what I have or no???

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
heres hoping this wont turn violent...:duck:

but IMHO,yes, unless you have a P1D-CE Q5, you are missing out on something. :)

(with CPF8) at $59.78 shipped, you really cant go wrong.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

umc

Enlightened
heres hoping this wont turn violent...:duck:

but IMHO,yes, unless you have a P1D-CE Q5, you are missing out on something. :)

(with CPF8) at $59.78 shipped, you really cant go wrong.

Crenshaw

What am I missing? Is it the 180 lumens out of such a little light at a good price? How is the throw?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
its the sheer output of the the tiny little thing.

and i mean sheer output, it consistantly suprises me, lumen to price and lumen to size ratios are off the charts. :)

while it may not be 180 lumens out the front, it is definitely brighter overall then any surefire single cell. :)

and its a tested fact, not just my opinon.

for me, if there was one light i had to be stuck with on a desert island, this would be it. i dont EDC it anymore, but i used to. Its has only been replaced with a Nitecore Defender Infinity (another must have IMHO) and an LOD

Crenshaw

umc

Enlightened
its the sheer output of the the tiny little thing.

and i mean sheer output, it consistantly suprises me, lumen to price and lumen to size ratios are off the charts. :)

while it may not be 180 lumens out the front, it is definitely brighter overall then any surefire single cell. :)

and its a tested fact, not just my opinon.

Crenshaw

That's what I figured, I'm looking at it now as I didn't see the Q5 version without searching for it on their site.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, out of your list here:

M3, C3, 2-C2's, U2, E2D, E1E, E1L, L4, G2L, 3-G2's, Kroma, 618FA, 2-M60's,

If I had all those, I would still EDC my Fenix P2D Q5. Then I'd have any # of the lights from your list on me as well, or if I was heading out into the darkness, etc. :)

I like the P2D for just a basic EDC utility type light. I carry it on my belt in the holster.

You may also want to check out the Zebralights on Fenix-store, I just posted a review of the H30, with comparisions to the H50. It's in the flashlight review forum.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean while waiting on the UA2?:devil:

I think you won't go wrong with a fenix or two (premium Q4's & Q5's of course). I am partial to the L0D Q4 and the P2D Q5 (but that is because they are, so far, the only fineces I own:D)

Don't forget a couple of zebralights for flood/headlamp dealies. And of course check out the LiteFlux LF2X (which I don't own yet so can't tell you from personal experience).

You really want to spend lots of money? Separate your flashlights into performance groups (flood, throw, multi-mode, tactical, ... use your imagination) and fill in the gaps.:naughty:

Too many lights to choose from but it does look like you need an EDC or two that are smaller than the E1 series.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm, i may have to pop down to the MTE place some time soon to check that out...900 lumens seems abit crazy, and hard to believe..isnt the P7 rated 900 only if you give it a few amps?

Crenshaw

umc

Enlightened
You mean while waiting on the UA2?:devil:

I think you won't go wrong with a fenix or two (premium Q4's & Q5's of course). I am partial to the L0D Q4 and the P2D Q5 (but that is because they are, so far, the only fineces I own:D)

Don't forget a couple of zebralights for flood/headlamp dealies. And of course check out the LiteFlux LF2X (which I don't own yet so can't tell you from personal experience).

You really want to spend lots of money? Separate your flashlights into performance groups (flood, throw, multi-mode, tactical, ... use your imagination) and fill in the gaps.:naughty:

Too many lights to choose from but it does look like you need an EDC or two that are smaller than the E1 series.

UB2 actually. :)

I was just looking at the zebralight because of the post above and I think one of those will be a must.

My EDC is my C2 with the M60 but it used to be the E2D, I sure liked the size better on the E2D but didn't like how it was tearing up my pocket plus the C2 with the M60 is darn powerful.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
UB2 actually. :)

I was just looking at the zebralight because of the post above and I think one of those will be a must.

My EDC is my C2 with the M60 but it used to be the E2D, I sure liked the size better on the E2D but didn't like how it was tearing up my pocket plus the C2 with the M60 is darn powerful.
I know what you mean. I used to EDC my Surefire A2 and my E2O until I realized I could save on jeans and buy more Surefires.:crackup:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which Surefire you´ll gonna use if you have only AA or AAA cells ?

I love my SF L1, but I think it´s too big to EDC on my jeans pocket.
Fenix P1D or Lumapower IncenDio (both uses 1x CR123 cell) are the perfect EDC, because of it´s sizes, in my opinion.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Hey all, I've been on a light kick lately and just can't get enough. Most recent was the M60's for my C2/C3 and a Photon Freedom and I have 50 fauxton's on the way from DX.

Anyway, I want more for some reason and don't know why or what. Check my signature and tell me if I really need to pickup anything else. I've been spending a lot of time on fenix-store.com lately and am wondering if any of their offerings will do something different or better than what I have.

I do think I'm going to pickup a LODQ4 just to throw in my watch pocket in my jeans but am I really good with what I have or no???

Try the Surefire E1Backup. It may not be the brightest 1 cell light, but its pretty bright for a one cell light. It's claim of 80 lumens is output from the front not from the emitter, so emitter wise it might be 100+ lumens. And it's the sturdiest too, the built is quite exceptional.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I was in the opposite situation as I had a bunch of Fenix lights and not a single Surefire. I decided to buy a Surefire G2 the other day just so I could know firsthand what the gold standard flashlight is like.

Build quality is nice, although the threads on the head were gritty from the factory. Beam quality is excellent, even if it is significantly dimmer than my 2xAA Fenix L2D.

If I were you, I would definitely get the Fenix L0D and run a 10440 lithium battery in it. You'll be shocked at this tiny keychain light. I'd also add an L2D Q5 so you can see the potential of a 2XAA flashlight.

I ordered a R2 drop-in for the Surefire G2 and will keep it aside as my emergency backup since I much prefer using readily available rechargeable AA batteries. I just can't justify spending the $$$ on CR123 batteries when I have dozens of high quality AA rechargeables.

For every day, field work, and caving, I'll use my AA powered Fenix lights (and my assortment of modified headlamps and other flashlights).

Wattnot

Enlightened
I was in the opposite situation as I had a bunch of Fenix lights and not a single Surefire. I decided to buy a Surefire G2 the other day just so I could know firsthand what the gold standard flashlight is like.

Build quality is nice, although the threads on the head were gritty from the factory. Beam quality is excellent, even if it is significantly dimmer than my 2xAA Fenix L2D.

Hey! Don't judge Surefire soley on the G2! It's a great light but it's they're cheapest, entry level, chuck it in the toolbox, drop it, kick it, throw it against the wall light. It's not as advanced and refined as just about ANY of their other products!

I like my G2's but knowing what I know now, I would probably pass on them BUT ONLY because I had a hard time finding the right LED drop-in for them because of heat issues. I ended up with the DX 6090 for them and so far, so good.