Kai 3 led aluminum reflector in Maglite

allburger

Enlightened
Hey everyone,

I was looking through the Kai DIY section and i noticed this http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3960.

I know that the diameter of a mag reflector is 52 mm or so, and what im wondering is this says radius is 25.15. I know that radius is half of the diameter, but i want to make sure that it is not an error or typo. This reflector at 50.3mm should fit fine.

Has anyone tried this thing yet??? at $5.71 for an aluminum reflector, thats a steal.

ALSO...What kind of driver is required to drive 3 cree's. I would probably want as close to 1A as possible. And also, does a driver wired in series with multiple emitters deliver the 1A for example to all three or is it 1/3 amp per emitter for 3 emitters?

MatajumotorS

Enlightened
If you will use leds in series, then current for all leds will be the same. Driver type is depending on battery used and "features" required (price also). Look HERE for more info about driver boards.

About reflector - i remember someone already did this mod, putting this reflector in MAG body, cant find it now.:candle: Some one else could.

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
ALSO...What kind of driver is required to drive 3 cree's. I would probably want as close to 1A as possible. And also, does a driver wired in series with multiple emitters deliver the 1A for example to all three or is it 1/3 amp per emitter for 3 emitters?

Sorry I cannot answer your question, I just wanted to say that I have spent the last hour trying to find out this info as well! If someone has done this mod and can head us in the right direction ie, pics, a guide perhaps?

I would like to do this with a 1D silver host without the switch for maximum compactness, (when these are released in a 'D' size I'm going to be all over it) I think it would deliver an insane amount of output for the size while not costing the earth?

These are fantastic, especially this one! :drool:

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've got a driver powering three Crees in series, and you want each Cree to run at an amp, you'll need a driver that can output 1A at about 10.5V. If you had the Crees in parallel (not recommended because of current hogging and thermal runaway), and you wanted each Cree to get an amp, and you only had one driver, the driver would need to output 3A at 3.5V. Of course, there's no guarantee that those three amps would be shared equally among the three emitters, especially as they heat up, which is why many multi-emitter designs have the emitters in series.

allburger

Enlightened
What would happen if i decided to direct drive these things??

I plan on using a 4d maglite and i can get 10.5v out of it no problem. Can i run these emitters with no driver or anything??

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a pretty good reflector...the only problem I have with it is that there's a rim around the outside diameter of the reflector that makes it thicker than it needs to be. If you can manage to file it down, than it'll be about the same thickness as the rim of the stock Mag reflector. You want to be able to screw the bezel down as far as possible and if you use this reflector as is, there'll be a more pronounced game than usual between the bezel and the head.

As for drivers, it really depends on what size Mag and what battery configuration. You could run it Direct Drive in a 3 C/D Mag, but you'd have to use NiMH batteries to get the most steady output. I've done Tri-LED Mag mods in a 2D Mag using 3 individual buck drivers and 6AA batteries in 2 3AA-to-1D battery adapters and they work great.

If you want to drive 3 LEDs in series, the Sandwich Shoppe's Shark Driver is a good candidate to do so:

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_49_61&products_id=721

I've got a couple of these reflectors, but I haven't decided what I'm going to do with them yet...