Which Inova X5 do I have?

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an Inova X5 on clearance at Target. It has the "INOVA" logo molded into the rubber switch cover in large block letters, which I understand means it is the last incarnation of the X5. It was DOA, however, and I have been looking for another X5. I found a whole rack full of them at Fry's, but the rubber switch cover is different. Around the edge of the rubber switch cover it says, in very tiny letters, "Emissive Energy - Inova Patented". I understand that a rubber switch cover that has no text indicates that it is an earlier version, which is much dimmer, but what version has the "Emissive Energy - Inova Patented" text? Fry's had about 30 X5's in black and silver, and all had the text on the rubber, so I am assuming that their stock can't possibly all be an older version. Did Inova release the X5 in the most up-to-date form with two different types of rubber switch covers? When my DOA X5 is working (after a good whack) it appears similar in brightness to the Fry's offering, but the Fry's X5 leans slightly more toward purple tint, while the DOA X5 is more bluish-green.

lumenal

Enlightened
Still got that DOA X5? Send it back to Inova, they'll probably send you a nice replacement. :)

Besides the noted switchcap differences, the Nichias' tint are now almost completely white, no blue or purple.

Another way to tell if you have a later generation X5 is by the texture (or lack of it) on the body of the light.

The latest generation will have a distinct "micro-finish" you can feel on the anodize, allowing a better grip on the light. The older ones don't.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
They both have the microtexture, and they are both about the same brightness. The only difference is the rubber switch cover. It is my understanding that in addition to the dimmer, bluer LED's in the earlier version, there was also engraving around the metal part of the tail switch, and grooves on the cap instead of knurling. Mine both have knurling.

Brownstone

Enlightened
They both have the microtexture, and they are both about the same brightness. The only difference is the rubber switch cover. It is my understanding that in addition to the dimmer, bluer LED's in the earlier version, there was also engraving around the metal part of the tail switch, and grooves on the cap instead of knurling. Mine both have knurling.

I have two X5's that were bought at Target last week when they were on clearance. I noticed today that the tailcaps are different as you described; one has "Inova" stamped in the rubber, and one has the patent information on the metal ring.

On my two lights there is indeed a subtle difference in the texture and color of the anodizing. I thought they were identical until I looked more closely. I haven't compared the beams carefully yet though, as it was daylight when I made this observation.

Just another data-point.

Last edited:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed today that the tailcaps are different as you described; one has "Inova" stamped in the rubber, and one has the patent information on the metal ring.

According to Flashlightreviews, engraving on the metal ring of the tailcap denotes a generation 2, with lower output LED's. Does your engraved tailcap have vertical grooves around the tailacap, or knurling? How about relative output to your other one? The patent information on my X5 in question has the patent information molded into the rubber, and knurling. I am slowly coming to the assumption that gen 3 versions had rubber switch covers with both "INOVA" and patent information molded into them, both knurled, because the output is the same on both of mine.

www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_x5t.htm

Brownstone

Enlightened
It looks like there are at least four versions of the X5.

My earlier post was in error. Neither of my lights have the patent information on the metal ring. I have one with "INOVA" molded in the switchcap, and one with "EMISSIVE ENERGY INOVA PATENTED" molded in the switchcap. Upon further inspection I see there are far more differences than just that.

Remember, these two lights were purchased in the same store on the same day. For consistency I will call the one on the left "A" and the one on the right "B".
At the gross level there are significant differences between the two. "B" is slightly more yellow than "A". The finish of "A" has a microtexture than enhances the grip, while "B" is extremely smooth (notice the shine of "B" compared to "A"). On "B" I can see the machining marks if I look carefully, while on "A" the microtexture covers any machining. Notice carefully the width of the lands and flats on the eight grooves between the two lights, the dimensions are different.

x51m.jpg

Looking at the tailcaps from top down, one has the Inova logo, the other has patent information.

x52m.jpg

Closeup of the knurling. Notice that the knurling is of a completely different size and pitch. Also notice the difference between the lands and flats on the body.

x53m.jpg

Now, if the only difference between two was the finish color, machining marks, and microtexture, I could believe that perhaps a step was left off light "B" in manufacturing. But with all the other differences I'm left wondering if either Inova made a bunch of manufacturing changes, or perhaps some counterfeit flashlights made it into the distribution channel.