Best (brightest) light for nightly 20 minute walk?

KPrime

Newly Enlightened
I have some acreage in the western Washington area, and on most nights I like to take a walk to one of our barns about 1/4 mile away. The light I typically carry is either a Fenix P3D or an Ultrafire C2. I really like both lights, but since I usually only need it for about 20 minutes, I would like to find something that puts out a huge amount of light, and not worry about runtime.
I have been looking at a number of 2x 18650 lights on DX, the quad Cree's and the new P7 that just came out, but I wanted to tap the collective knowledge and ask what you all would recommend for my nightly jaunt?
It's a bit overwhelming the number of choices out there, but not a bad situation to be in! :grin2:

bspofford

Enlightened
I live in the mountains of Colorado with two mountain lions near my house. The good news about wild animals is that they can't help but look at you, and their eyes reflect brightly from 100 yards with even 100 lumens.

Yapo

Enlightened
I live in the mountains of Colorado with two mountain lions near my house. The good news about wild animals is that they can't help but look at you, and their eyes reflect brightly from 100 yards with even 100 lumens.

wow mountain lions! Is it safe to live with them? I see a cat run through my back yard every so often. it has a bell on its collar so i can hear it running by at night and i turned on my P1D CE at it and it just froze n stared at me with its glowing green eyes and it ran off when i turned it off...a few nights earlier i heard somthing high in a tree in my backyard and i flicked on my light and i saw 2 eyes glowin back at me amoung the branches but i couldnt see what it was and i checked again a few mins later and it was still there...

My3kidsfather

Enlightened

I was wondering whether you had taped a good marine corp knife to your edc, or if law allows a good 40 S&W lol. You probably take good measures.

I have read a number of times that the big cats jump you as your walking without your knowing of their presence. Seriously though, people up here in Alberta and BC are killed every year by the big cats. I personally have seen them stalking kids on a school ground just north of here. The local RCMP were called in to protect the kids until it could be driven off.

arty

Enlightened
Try a Malkoff dropin in a 3D or a 4D Maglite. I use the 4D with the Malkoff designed for more voltage. I used it for 2 walks each night until daylight savings time and now 1 long walk each night with the dog.
The walks are about 15-20 min.
I got about 2 months of use. There was still plenty of power left in the batteries when I decided to chuck the old ones and replace them.
For your use - I'd use a smooth reflector and plain lens.

Zenster

Enlightened
Try a Malkoff dropin in a 3D or a 4D Maglite. I use the 4D with the Malkoff designed for more voltage.

+1 on the Malkoff, but also look at the ElektroLumens MT3, MT4 or MT5 drop-in.

Using a Maglite 3xD cell as a host, you'll get a ton of area lighting for a good distance. The plus is that you still get multi-hour runtimes, plus you can use rechargeables if you want.

Another REALLY bright way to go would be to go with a DBS/3SD so you can use 18650 rechargeables. I'd recommend the OP reflector. Can't go wrong with that either.

KPrime

Newly Enlightened
Is your P3D not bright? I hope it is b/c I just bought one!

You will love your P3D! It is a great light and my EDC.

In this case I don't mind carrying something larger with just one mode (really bright) and no worries about battery life with rechargables.

I have had my eye on a Malkoff for a while and I have a number of Mag's around to donate.

Zenster, who makes the DBS/3SD? I am not finding a quick reference to it?

Stereodude, you might be right on the HID thing if not the brand. I have been looking at the N30 and maybe that is a better way to go than a super LED light?

Thanks for all the responses. Am I looking at the wrong kind of light with an LED? I have always liked LED lights and haven't bought a halogen light in years, but I have always cared about battery life and most light for the size. So in this case, it sounds like either a HID or an Incan is maybe the way to go?

oregon

Enlightened
Am I looking at the wrong kind of light?

Nightvision. My fantasy night walk tool. Something that enables me to blend in, be stealthy and experience the night like...well, hmmm, like a perdator, ninja, well...like a guy with night vision.

Not for everyone, of course. I read an article of things to do in the desert and one was to sit quietly with nightvision and enjoy the wildlife you don't see during the day. I always thought there would be some enjoyment in this, NW, neck of the woods regarding seeing things at night you won't see during the day. Using a flashlight might chase off many of the nocturnal visitors on your walk.

You know what, I am off to the nightvision forum.

oregon

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What bothers me is, what are you going to do if something happens; and you end up needing more than 20 minutes of runtime.

My recommendation is the Tiablo A9S Q5.

Beamshot pics don't do it justice. The emitter in mine is nicely centered, the sidespill is nice and bright, the hotspot throws like a mini lighthouse. Even when it's not foggy out, you can still see the beam projecting from the light. Speaking of beam, it's the most perfect, white circle that I've ever seen! No ugly ovals here. The hotspot is a thing of beauty. There's a dark ring surrounding the hotspot. But outdoors, you barely notice it.

Part of my job as a Security Guard involves checking very large structures outside, at night, for anything unusual. My A9S can hit the roof of those structures, and allows me to easily see if anything is out of the ordinary. I have a cheap quality Solarforce L600 inca light that is capable of reaching that far. But the horribly oval beam, and sickly yellow tint makes it a pain to focus my eyes on the spot being illuminated at such long distances.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the biggest light you're willing to carry? Once I know that, I can tell you what battery and bulb combo will give you a maximum of 20 minute runtime, and that will be your brightest option.

The way I generally design custom lights is to aim for a runtime of around 40 minutes as a constraint--the larger the light, the greater the output.

A 2C ROP-Hi is my second most used light at this point in time -- because it's small and light enough to be jacket pocketable, adjustable from spot to flood, and produces a very healthy output.

For a "bright as I can go" nightly walk light, try building a 2C Mag 5761. That will give you in the neighborhood of 1000 lumens for over 20 minutes, and still fit in your jacket pocket. You can build in for around ~$100, not including charger.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind carrying something a bit bigger, how about one of those PowerOnBoard HID lights from Sam's Club? They can be had for about $30-40 on Samsclub.com's auction section. Just an idea.

-Robert

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind carrying something a bit bigger, how about one of those PowerOnBoard HID lights from Sam's Club? They can be had for about $30-40 on Samsclub.com's auction section. Just an idea.

-Robert
That seems a little excessive in size and weight for a daily walk unless he's walking in a cave with no light or something.