Virus Alert / Advice sought

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Yahoo as a mail server and received an email today from an unknown addie. It had an attachment that I scanned. I was suspicious as the email stated the old "do not respond to this address" notation. Norton found a virus detected. When I first wrote this post I included the name of the virus, but it showed up as a link in the post, so I altered my post so that it wouldn't do that [the virus name has a "@" in it {?}]. So here is a picture showing the name, I didn't know what else to do.

fc69b6d4.jpg

I have alerted Yahoo but they are so slow to respond. I also sent an email to Microsoft. who else should I notify? I have no idea who sent this to me or how come I got it. I want someone [organization] to check it out and do something about it. Any suggestions?

I have included the text of the message below so that you can see what they wrote. There were links attached, but I deleted them from this post to be on the safe side. And of course I did not send the attachment that was included.

I had to purge my system once before of a virus and know what its like. That is why I am so gung-ho about this deal.
Would appreciate any help, advice, knowledgeable comment, etc. Thanks folks.

>>following message received on 03/31/2003

From: "Bourbon" <[email protected]> | This is Spam | Add to Address Book
Subject: Taste the patch from M$ Corporation.
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:13:19 -0500

----- Original message follows -----

Microsoft Partner

this is the latest version of security update, the
"March 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all
known security vulnerabilities affecting Internet Explorer,
Outlook and Outlook Express as well as five newly discovered
vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your computer from these
vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow an attacker to
run executable on your system. This update includes the functionality
of all previously released patches.

System requirements:
Win 9x/Me/2000/NT/XP

This update applies to:
Microsoft Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
Microsoft Outlook, version 8.00 and later
Microsoft Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later

Recommendation:
Customers should install the patch at the earliest opportunity.

How to install:
Run attached file. Click Yes on displayed dialog box.

How to use:
You don't need to do anything after installing this item.

Microsoft Technical Support is available at
http://support.microsoft.com/

For security-related information about Microsoft products,
please visit the Microsoft Security Advisor web site at
http://www.microsoft.com/security

Contact us at
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/goregwiz.asp?target=/contactus/contactus.asp

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored
e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

Thank you for using Microsoft products.

Bill.H

Enlightened
Bookmark this: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/

Whenever you want to know anything about a virus, you can search for it there. Don't worry about notifying MS or anyone about this since they already know. That virus spreads by copying addresses from the outlook/oe address book (get Eudora instead, it's free at www.eudora.com). This has been around for a while now.

More info at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]
or you can just go to the AV Center and type in the name.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Just a note and is it related?
--------------------
webley445 said:
When I first wrote this post I included the name of the virus, but it showed up as a link in the post, so I altered my post so that it wouldn't do that [the virus name has a "@" in it {?}]. So here is a picture showing the name, I didn't know what else to do.
--------------------

Yesterday I tried to spell out "Mini Mag" using the ole' "@" and it showed as a link in the UBB software, so I didn't use the "@". I'll try again: MiniM@g See it shows as a link. Click on it and it brings up my email using the link as the address...eh? What's up with that?

Empath

Flashaholic
It's suppose to do that when you use the @ sign without spaces. That way it becomes a link to an email address.

The reason webley445 was asked to remove the large number of email addresses in the first message of this thread is because it's a goldmine to spam bots that automatically scour sites such as ours looking for email addresses. They could be doing so right now, and if so, all of the email addresses are being placed in a list for sale to spammers.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I thought the old UBB allowed us to use the "@" in "Mag"...you know to make people upset.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, now that's not why we did it! We don't need to go back there!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least your Nortini caught it. I use AVG Antivirus, which doesn't need a specific virus def to catch one (unlike nortini and mickeyfoo). Can you tell I don't like those 2?? Norton always bogs my system down.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Charles, Norton bogged down my system bigtime. I think the system utilities created more problems than I had to start with! I got rid of it!

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok made the edit as requested. Would have done so sooner, but an unexpected guest arrived a week early and had me running around wringing my and popping around like a chicken with its head cut off. I am now a daddy!!

Anyways, got a reply from MS, they said it was a hoax, but will investigate. Yahoo seems useless, only sent me info on handling my mail when receiving such. Thank you all for the info and links. Gotta go now and change some really NASTY diapers.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
webley445 said:
ok made the edit as requested. Would have done so sooner, but an unexpected guest arrived a week early and had me running around wringing my and popping around like a chicken with its head cut off. I am now a daddy!!

[/ QUOTE ]

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

winnie16.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
webley445 - <font color="blue">"CONGRATULATIONS!!!!"</font>

ahhhh yes...I remember those nights 16 & 14 years ago!! And then they grow up! Enjoy those "nasty" diapers while you can!! Great memories!