Q5 and driverboard question

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so I have this 1 year old 1watt LED torch that I want to mod with a Q5 and a driver board. The 1w LED was on a 17mm star on a small piece of aluminum about .5cm thick that screws onto the top part of the light.

The body will hold 3xAAA's or 1x18650. Now for my questions.

Does the Q5 need much of a heatsink, or will the small piece of aluminum w/ some thermal compound (Artic Silver) be good enough?

What driver board would you recommend? I'm after something cheap (under $5 shipped) that will drive the Q5 hard when using 3xAAA's (Ni-Hm) (voltage would be 4.2v hot off the charger but usually 3.6v). I would like to get as close to 200 lumens as possible. I don't really care how many modes the board has. I would prefer one with at least 3 (Hi, M, Low), but wouldn't mind one with more.

worldedit

Enlightened
This one:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6190
should do the job. Better use 18650 in it. 3xAAA is a bad solution in high power light.

The heat sink might be insufficient. When you have done the mod touch the led board while running on high. if it gets unpleasent to touch while the light body is still cold use the high mode only in bursts.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Despite the current LEDs being 2x more efficient then the last gen, they are only 50% efficient at the most (low current), and that is presuming a correctly proportioned full spectrum(so efficiency is probably less). Adequate heatsinking is recommended.

As for boards, the ones linked to above should work.