New 'Bogo-Light' model

AlexSchira

Enlightened
As some may now, the Bogo-light is an interesting program. Buy one, give one. You buy a solar-powered flashlight that actually isn't that bad, and one gets sent to a developing country or charity of your choice. I bought one a while back, and enjoy using it around the house. Simple on/off, the solar charging works well, and the LEDs aren't terrible.

Well, now for five more bucks they have a completely redesigned one coming out. Hopefully more waterproof as the LED Museum found the old one to be prone to leaking, along with some kind of heatsinking for the batteries while charging. What impresses me is they made it a multi-level instead of the basic on/off. Three settings, the high mode using a more powerful LED of unnamed type. They also added some LEDs designed for flood, making the light more useful for area illumination. I've tested it myself, works fine strung up on a cord, but only shone down like a spotlight. They even redesigned the admittedly difficult clip on the end. Lastly, no more Nicad batteries, only NiMH.

http://www.bogolight.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SUPERBOGOGENERAL

I rarely plug a light, but for this cause...I'm ordering one and giving the other away.

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello AlexSchira,

Thanks for the information. I will have to check out the Super BOGO. I have two of the BOGO lights and use them all the time. The Super model seems to have addressed some of the weaknesses of the original model.

Tom

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Somebody remember to bump this thread in a month or so when the super version is actually available and I'll buy one. . .

greenLED

Flashaholic
Very nice. I beat the see-are-ay-pee out of one of their original models.

I'm really excited to see the redesign, with new features and improved water resistance (that was my only real complaint about it).

balou

Enlightened
Only downside - they don't ship worldwide.
This would be a great gift for some of my relatives - practical, ecological and charitable. "Would".

AlexSchira

Enlightened
...What a coincidence for this to pop up again, I bought one months ago and tested it in a week-long self-controlled blackout situation to see how well it would hold up for long-term emergency use. I'll gather my thoughts from the notes I took, and post them later on.

For now, general thoughts. The design is much more thought-out, with air-cooling vents going right through the body around each cell. The compartments just need a coin to open instead of a specific screwdriver, nice touch for the third-world market. The clip on the end is finally functional...More of a real carabiner instead of a loop with a spring in it like the old one. Brighter than the old one, the three modes are very functional. The area-LEDs are the real breadwinners, pure flood that really lights a room instead of just bouncing light like the older version. Runtime is functional, but I've been testing it during winter in Chicago where we question the existence of the sun quite often. Controls discharge well. It's regulated, but will flicker a bit to tell you to switch to a lower mode where it'll stay stable for a while longer. I bought it back before the price doubled, but it's still a fine product that doesn't feel so 'Well, it's for charity...' as their first attempt. I keep the other around as a back-up and as a comparison, but there isn't much of a comparison. If you want to donate a light and feel good about it, go with the standard model. If you really want a light you can get some use out of, the Super is worth it.

Last edited:

lonesouth

Newly Enlightened
Only downside - they don't ship worldwide.
This would be a great gift for some of my relatives - practical, ecological and charitable. "Would".

Wait, you buy one and they 'ship one to a developing country,' but they don't ship worldwide?? That sounds fishy!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Looking at these again and wondering about the 5mm's used.

Any clue what they are?

Is there any access to the LED's so they can be swapped out for perhaps snow LED's?

Craig's distance beam shot shows a blue tint in the center of the beam that I would like to eliminate but maybe they aren't like that in person.

If anyone on here has the new model and it can be opened, do you mind snapping a few pics inside the head? OH and also the reflector!

I think I need a good solar charging light. :) DO you? It'd be nice to help somebody else out while enjoying my addiction.

Last edited: