• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTS: Mac's "The Torch" [Now with more pictures]

Sable

Enlightened
Hello all,

I have a red, good condition "The Torch" from a very early run that isn't getting the love it should. I've found myself gravitating much more to a few painfully high-quality EDCs for rotation than "Big Gun" lights, no matter how grin-inducingly fun they are anyway. :)

For anyone unfamiliar with The Torch, it is a 4000+ lumen 2D-sized cutdown Mag Lite with a tailswitch made by CPF member cmacclel. They run on a custom 14.4v battery pack and have a runtime in the area of 10-15 giggle-inducing minutes.

This light has a MOP reflector, the stock head, and an engraved tailcap. The anodizing is good with a few light marks around the grip, almost fire-engine red. I will sell it with the charger, a spare bulb, a new LuxLuthor-made battery pack (July 2007, maybe ten charges on it) and the original pack which has died - the Fivemega battery holder, however, is in fine shape.

I have it on the authority of the previous owner (CPFer plasmaman) that this specific The Torch will accept Fivemega's 3" heads, although I never did get around to testing that myself.

I'm asking 450.00USD shipped USPS Priority in the US (International shipping may be extra but is offered with this sale) and insured, for this light.

It hurts letting this one go, but these things are made to be used - so let's give it a new home.

TorchCap-1.jpg

Picture3.png

Picture2-1.png

Picture1-3.png

More pictures later, if folk want or need them.

Last edited:

mazingerz9

Newly Enlightened
Re: WTS: Mac's "The Torch"

Could you post more pictures? Is the hotspot uniform and circular?
I would like some beam shots please.
Thanks.

Steven

Sable

Enlightened
Re: WTS: Mac's "The Torch"

I will be happy to (it will be later tonight), but here are some bullet-points...

1.) The "hotspot" on a "The Torch" is far from uniform. A horizontally-aligned filament in a 2-inch reflector, even with the orange-peel reflector, is a bit lumpy with visible lobing.

2.) "The Torch" - and other OSRAM 625 or 623 lights - with stock heads are EXTREMELY floody. There is a "hotspot", but the overwhelming amount of light this thing puts out simply goes everywhere, and will illuminate a staggering amount of space in front of you like daylight.

Fivemega's FM-series 3" heads do a better job of projecting the power of these lights, but even with those you get a very flood-like beam.

Again, it's going to be a bit later tonight before I can get more pictures (My camera is with me but my Torch is not), but for some immediate gratification you can find the original "The Torch" thread here.

Cheers!

Sable

Enlightened
More pictures added!

I didn't get home till stupid late last night...there are a lot of good beamshots in the original Torch thread, however.

Last edited: