Surefire UA2 Optimus Will you OPtimize?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read and re read the catalog pages describing the UA2.
I have tried as best I can to cut through the marketing buzz.
What I get out of it is that Surefire has designed an amazing focus-able bright as heck flashlight with multiple levels which is small light and ultra cool.
Having read this information and being an avid flashlight geek I have not seen anything which comes close.
I for one am looking forward to the release of this light.
My flashlight collection(if you want to call it that) is a approximately 50/50 mix between custom and semi custom flashlights and commercially manufactured flashlights.
I like having a mix. I really enjoy seeing what companies manage to design and produce.
This is really a high tech age we live in. IMHO the UA2 is at the bleeding edge of flashlight technology.
There is new technology in several areas.
Driver, optics (focus-able), switching, power management (fuel gauge), all in a tiny little light roughly the size of an A2.
Surefire says
"It's the pinnacle of everything SureFire's founder and president, Dr. John Matthews, has
been working toward his entire 40-year career."
That is really saying something...

Remember the A2? this is/was a very high tech flashlight as well.
The UA2 will be taking the crown for technology in a flashlight.
I don't know about you But I will have one... I will have to save up for a while but I will.
What about you? Will you plonk down $279 for a non custom flashlight?
Does this kind of light interest you?
Does it look as cool to you as it does to me?
Have you even looked at the catalog? (if not do).
Do you think that surefire missed anything?
This is not a thread about the UB2 so lets not get off on that tangent (ya I know it is brighter and uses the P7...) Lets stick to the UA2.

So where are you at with the UA2?
Yaesumofo

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's on my 'Want list' - a rather long list but eventually if it turns out to be as good as it sounds I'll get one. It does have an impressive list of features and I'm glad to see SF adding some lights with lots of bells and whistles.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Of course I will be getting a UA2.
However, the UA2 is only another step towards the 'ultimate flashlight' as it does not achieve 3V.
(I understand that not everybody needs or wants 3V and many can be quite happy with 2V like the UA2)

Al

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm gonna have to wait until I see some reviews, I can only hope the first units are bug-free and working well. The concepts attached to the UA2 are tasty indeed!

Mayo

mwaldron

Enlightened
I'll certainly be betting a UA2, hopefully I'll have some cash available so I can get one as soon as it comes out. Focusable variable-power LED sounds like the holy grail to me (I hope they get the tint right). Once this new technology is out and cloned I have a feeling the UA2 will probably be considered the grandfather of a the next generation of flashlight.

(I understand that not everybody needs or wants 3V and many can be quite happy with 2V like the UA2)

Pardon my ignorance, what is 3V and 2V?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the light, and the technology they're able to cram in there is very impressive, but it doesn't suit my tastes and needs. At first I was a little disappointed that this and the UB2 didn't really line up with what I needed in a flashlight, but in retrospect I am relieved. That's $279 I can save for the light that will work for me.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
For pure gadget appeal, this light has me salivating. However, the sensible side of me has some reservations. At 6.9 in long it isn't likely to be an EDC light for me. Can I justify its price, if I am only going to play with it at home? Furthermore, its low output of 2 lumens might not be low enough for me, considering that SF 2 out the front lumens are going to be brighter than most other company's claimed emitter lumens. Another concern is the lack of the usual SF kirling on the main body of this light. Twisting the bezel to make light output adjustments and focusing adjustment will probably be a 2 hands operation; without kirling, this is almost a certainty.

Will my sensible side win out, and will I pass on this light? Or will the gadget freak in me push aside all reason and force me to buy this? I don't know for sure, but I am putting aside $279 just in case.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Pardon my ignorance, what is 3V and 2V?
Ah! You should have been at PK's CPF Party at the SHOT Show...

The three fundamental variables of a light beam:
1) Variable light output (quantity)
2) Variable beam focus (intensity)
3) Variable light wavelength (colour)

It can be considered that the 'Ultimate Flashlights' will be a single flashlight that has the ability to sufficiently vary all three variables (3V) in an ergonomic and task-orientated way.

Al

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
this thread was locked earlier...:thinking:

i am more partial to the UB2, variable focus is not as immportant to me as insane brightness :twothumbs:

400 surefire lumens is, ALOT of lumens.

sadly, it will be on my "want but probably will never buy cos its expensive list"

Crenshaw

mwaldron

Enlightened
Ah! You should have been at PK's CPF Party at the SHOT Show...

You're right, I should have been. Would have been a blast I'm sure!

The three fundamental variables of a light beam:
1) Variable light output (quantity)
2) Variable beam focus (intensity)
3) Variable light wavelength (colour)

I never considered the 3'rd V! That would be impressive indeed, especially considering my main LED complaint is color.

My White A2 is looking better with the new Nichia GS leds but it's still not what I want. I found a supplier with exactly what I want, but they won't sell me small quantities. Perhaps I should start a mod service, there have to be others like me out there....

Taboot

Enlightened
Long answer: I'm not a big buyer of LED lights. I have been looking for a good one to get rather than a bunch of minor variations on the same basic theme or power level. I have a P3D Q5. No SF LED light (save the A2) has seemed (to me) powerful enough or interesting enough to compel me to buy one. SF Incans are a different story. :crazy: :broke:.

The UA2 is almost exactly what I've wanted in a SF LED light. It is extremely interesting (focus, UI), relatively bright and very cool looking. For me, the price isn't bad considering the price of a current U2 or many custom lights.

Just as the A2 is such an icon among flashlight enthusiasts, I believe the UA2 will be as well. I will get one as soon as possible, but in my perfect world, there would be an UAB2 option for $350. Perhaps the genius of SF is that they know most of us, here at least, will want both.

Short answer: Definitely. :twothumbs

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
This is a nearly perfect light as far as my needs and desires go. I'll be ordering one as soon as they're available. My only concern is the beam quality of the optics, and my only minor gripes are with the aesthetics. Personally, I prefer the more traditional look of the U2 with knurling. Also, I'm not wild about the curly-Q pocket clip design. I'm willing to overlook all of these minor issues though, if this light is half as good as I'm hoping.

mspeterson

Enlightened
I will have one the minute they are available, or at least within an hour or so...:devil:

Talas

Newly Enlightened
Order already placed. Love the features but not that crazy about the looks (although I like the straight bezel better than my U2). Most beautiful SF to me is the 2nd generation L1 with squared body. Hoping for no bugs also since I got stung with my Titan, but got a perfect E1B... also hoping it'll actually be in my hands sometime in 2008.