NDI vs L1D (1*AA)

kapitan88

Newly Enlightened
i'm thinking of which get between these 2. which 1 is bang for buck? can anyone give a comparo? if you could also include jetbeam in the ring. I've seen the comparo between L1D and Jetbeam. just wanna know which among here prefers which light from the list.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I've got an L1D and I've never seen an NDI in person.

L1D: $55.20 shipped from fenix-store.com with CPF8 discount code (or $67.16 if you get it as part of the 4in1 pack, like I did)

NDI: $79.90 before shipping, but tadgear.com is out of stock.

L1D: Max 120 lumens for 1.5 hours (according to Fenix).

NDI: Max 190 lumens for less than 40 minutes on an alkaline, or about 1.5 hours on a 14500 battery (according to tadgear.com).

NDI: Min 3 lumens for 50ish hours (or 5 lumens for 60ish hours on a 14500).

L1D: Min 12 lumens for 25 hours.

NDI: Infinite programmable adjustment between min and max.

L1D: If you don't like 12 lumens, 53 lumens, 107 lumens or 120 lumens, you're out of luck.

NDI: Has a strobe mode.

L1D: Has a strobe mode.

NDI: Everyone says it has great build quality, and I have no reason to disbelieve this.

L1D: Mine has great build quality.

NDI: Forward clicky.

L1D: Reverse clicky.

I didn't get the NDI because I was able to get a smaller light for EDC (my P2D, part of the 4in1 pack) without waiting for the NDI to become available or spending a lot more money. The L1D alone would have made a great choice for me too.

If you are willing to wait, and want the NDI's features (programmable light levels, a very low low, more output, forward clicky) then it's your choice. If you're too cheap or too impatient you will probably be very pleased with the L1D. If you want both a 123A and a AA light, you should get the 4in1 pack like I did.

kapitan88

Newly Enlightened
Lumens:

based on researching here about lumens, i found out that ndi's claim of 190Lm is on the emitter, while the torch is only 130,

on L1D, is the 120Lm on torch?

Fenix are readily available here in Manila anytime, while if i were to go with NDI, as mentioned above, stocks are very limited and kinda hard to come by these days with reputable shops.

BTW, I already have the older version of P3D (in car) and LOD as EDC, both serves me very well, i just feel like that i need a much better EDC in small package with ability to use ordinary batts if needed.

but still having a hard to find item like the ndi has some bragging rights with it. hehehe

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you are looking at the L1D, also look at the Olight T15(international shipping is included in Fenix Store's price). Similar output but a bit more throw, works well on 14500s, and works a little differently (loosen-tighten to change outputs).

The L1D-CE Q5 is around 80-90 lumen on turbo(same as high unless you use a Lithium AA).

L1D or NDI, I'd pick the NDI because I can pick the lower mode.

:welcome:

kapitan88

Newly Enlightened
The L1D-CE Q5 is around 80-90 lumen on turbo(same as high unless you use a Lithium AA).

is this right? hmmm, i'm disappointed, i thought that the publish lumen rates of fenix are already on the torch. if L1D puts out 80-90lm on turbo while NDI 130 at high, then theres no competition. i'd probably get ndi. anyone disagrees with L1d's torch lumens? (might still change my mind if this baby throws 120lm ->torch)

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
To clarify the output of the L1D

The Premium Q5 version puts out 120 lumens on turbo

The previous version puts out 90 lumens on turbo

I have the Q5 version but will probably also get the NDI once it is easily available because I want a very low low mode.

However, I love my fenix lights and will continue to carry them for a long time.

liquidsix

Enlightened
I don't have an l1D but I have a JetBeam MkII which is somewhere along the same lines (reverse clicky, multi-click UI). I think the NDI was worth the extra coin. Its soo nice having the momentary on, and not having to worry about switching and cycling through stages every time your thumb touches the button. It has a nice sortof single stage light feel to it. NITECORE BABY NITECORE!

kapitan88

Newly Enlightened
why did i ever raised this topic here with a bunch of B.I.'s? instead of helping me choose 1, now i'm salivating for both! hehehehe, :twothumbs

I guess im going to get L1D Q5 now, and just like what yucca said, will probably get NDI as the stocks become easily available.

Now can i ask that this thread be closed and deleted to oblivion? Someone might suggest another brand (great specs) and might add up to my expenses. hehehe

CPF Rules!

tnx everyone.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of us Fenix fans want to pick up the NDI. I would love to own an NDI.

But it's hard to argue with the value of the L1D, especially the 4-in-1 pack. Very hard decision, but the ease of obtaining the L1D and its great value gives it the slight edge if I had to choose between the two imho.

Last edited:

arjay

Newly Enlightened
hey there kapitan88 where in Manila could I get the NDI and the L1D q5? :huh:

just got an L2D q5 last month from the local distributor and according to him they don't carry the L1D q5's yet.:thinking:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i really want the circuit of the Fenix in the NDI body that would be perfect :twothumbs

lengendcpf

Enlightened
If you are looking at the L1D, also look at the Olight T15(international shipping is included in Fenix Store's price). Similar output but a bit more throw, works well on 14500s, and works a little differently (loosen-tighten to change outputs).

L1D or NDI, I'd pick the NDI because I can pick the lower mode.

I have the 4 in 1 pack.
I can feel that the L1D on high(107lm) is putting out almost double of med(53lm). The turbo, just a little/tiny bit of increase.

But using the P2D, I can definitely see an increase of output when using the turbo(180lm).

So i guess fenix is not overstating..

Cheers.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a L1d (actually a L2d with L1d's body) and I've been edcing it since. I love it, and for lighting purpose, it's more than sufficient for what I need. The only thing I nitpick about is that the L1d doesn't have any knurling. The small size makes it slippery to handle when your hands are wet. The NDI doesn't have that problem.

I also bought the NDI because it looks so darn good!!! I didn't really need the additional features from it, but it just look so darn good.

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened
I've had both. I like the L1D better, but the second round of NDI's looks better than the first run. The NDI's have had problems with 14500 batteries going into strobe, or low battery indicator, but that may be ironed out by now. The NDI interface is a bit cumbersome with all of the twisting back and forth to set the mode, but some like it.