Which Reflector for Fenix P2D Q5

tompen

Newly Enlightened
I am getting ready to order a P2D Q5 and wonder which Reflector is most popular, the Textured or Smooth. I notice Fenix Store doesn't list the Textured but Lighthound does. I already have surefires with a lot of throw, so I am looking for a good smooth beam with some spill.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
OP for a smoother beam is probably more popular.

You might want to ask about if they carry both textured and smooth in Q5. It doesn't specifically list either way, but it's worth an email.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
The textured gives a cleaner looking beam on a white wall. In real-world use, you'd have to have eagle eyes to tell the difference outdoors.

tompen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help from everyone, I called the Fenix Store and ask them and they said all the P2D Q5's have the textured ones.

Thanks for the replys.

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
Some people claim that the smooth reflector gives the light a little farther throw than the textured reflector. I've got an L1D with a smooth reflector, and an L2D with textured reflector and an extra L1 body. Both are Q5's.

To be honest, I can't really tell the difference in the throw between the two reflectors, running them with just one AA. But my urban neighborhood at night probably isn't the best testing ground.

I find the textured reflector gives a much nicer boundary between the spot and the flood. I prefer the textured reflector, but that may be because I've owned a number of Surefires with textured reflectors.

-- Frank