Most Water-Tight SureFire

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Of the SureFire product line (past and present), which light is proven to be the "tighest" overall as it relates to it's ability to keep water and moisture out?

I think I've read that the M2 has dual o-rings on the tailcap. I don't recall if that's true or if any other SF lights have the dual o-rings.

GeoffChan

Enlightened
seems like all the m series are double o rings.

I think the most water tight goes to one the pistol lights. Its the navy seals one that fits a Sig Sauer 226. <font color="blue"> I have been wrong a few times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif </font>

I remember reading that some parts can operate down to 100mtrs.

Geoff

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

The current model of 6PN is rated and pressure tested to 30 meters.

Dan.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Insiders say M3..

As you may be aware, most all SF lights are available with an "N" certification, which means that the individual light was actually tested. Further, there is no addtional preperation for a standard issue versus one that is tested.

Fact is, SureFire will never market any of their lights as "dive lights" (waterproof). However without an fanfare or discussion SF has been tweaking the entire line with the goal of making them dive light - "waterproof" 99.9+% of the time ... the M3 is/was the first.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
What if you bought a really small Surefire, and put it inside a Streamlight? Then it would be waterproof. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

this_is_nascar,

Yes, I do have them in stock. They have a 6PN paper with them. They also have a different lubricant on the threads than the standard 6P.

Dan.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "n" certificaton is 30 meters/100 feet. The test is performed in a water bath under pressure... SF is very very very conservative in their ratings; the test is actually done at a considerably higher equivalent depth... MUCH grater than I would ever dive, even with tri-mix.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I guess what I'm getting at is what is done to a 6pn to make it guarenteed tight that's not done to a 6p? It certainly has to be more than the lube, doesn't it? Physically, there must be something different.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Nascar,

I think Mr. Ted Bear speaks the truth. I took a M3 through some paces over in Maui and it stayed nice and dry. The "clickie" would come on at about 25' and I had to lock it out by unscrewing it a bit. I only dove to 30' so I have no idea what the limits are.

The locals liked the light too:

grip.jpg

- Don

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
knew it was 30 something (get it?!)

I know pretty bad huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

I still think I'd trust my Pelican SuperSabrelite submerged before I'd dunk my M3.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just received an M3 and the first thought that came to mind was "this sucker aint leanking". it exudes waterproofness.

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

this_is_nascar,

The lube is the only thing that I noticed is different on the 6PN. The lube on the 6PN is very sticky compared to the lube on the 6P. I didn't notice anything else that's different.

Dan.

Latest posts