Why Momentary Tail Switch

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really a big fan of the tactical momentary on, twist for constant on switch type of guy. Most of the time, I find them pretty cumbersome and annoying. I go as far as purchasing a SF Z59 to replace the stock 6P tailcap. Since the momentary on tailcaps are still in the market, I figure they're still popular. I'm just curious to see how many people prefer the momentary switch and why.

Initially, I thought the origin is perhaps during the incan days, if you drop your flashlight while it's turned on, you'll break the bulb. However, with the momentary on feature, you minimize the risk of breaking the bulb since the moment you drop it, it turns off. But this does not really apply to LED flashlights. So, can it be because it's more reliable than clickies with less moving parts? Or some other reasons? Just my curiousity.

e2x2e

Enlightened
A couple of things come to mind.

1.) Reliability-they can really take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.
2.) Tactically better-a light on when you want it off can be dangerous. Therefore, with a momentary switch, the light is only on when you are actively manipulating the switch.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Durability / reliability and the added peace of mind brought about by each remains the primary reason for my preference. Until they make clicky switch thats proven to endure as much punishment as the SF twist switch, the old twisty will remain my preference on the job. Unfortunately I have enough things to stress out over at work. Maybe I have hands of steel, but I never found it that difficult to operate single handed.

Even the most reliable, dependable, high quality brands on this forum have had their quality problems with click-switches. I'd be pretty pissed to spend 60-100 on a top notch light and have the click switch go bad. See threads here...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182512
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/189948

At home however I prefer a nice forward clicky, the ergonomics are great.

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also prefer a forward clicky. I appreciate twisties for their excellent design, I just feel I can use a clicky more effectively.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
As the above stated, Durable and simple to use in a stressful situation (darn, I left my light on and all the enemies are shooting at me).

But since most of use don't have to go though high stress situations involving guns, a forward clickie/reverse clickie works fine for the rest of us.

allburger

Enlightened
Another reason that the momentary/twist is popular is when you are clearing a room or scanning a room. You have your pistol in one hand and the light in the other. If your light is on, that is exactly where the other guy is going to shoot at. You need to be able to click and move.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm 36% mall ninja :crackup:

I guess the reason I didn't understand is because the clicky has the momentary feature by slightly depressing the button. I guess the main issue is reliability.

Does this momentary still makes sense if say for example manufacturer finds a way to make the clicky as reliable as the momentary/twisty? Or do some people still prefer the momentary?

Very interesting. I read that many people have problems with their clickies, but maybe I don't abuse or drop my lights that frequently, I never had a clicky failed on me ... even the cheap nitize clicky for my mini mag ... had it for about 3 years already.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I too don't favor momentary clickies most of the time. I find that they are either screwed in to the point that they often are accidentally pressed on, or screwed out far enough so that doesn't happen, but instead they won't come on when you want them to.

kavvika

Enlightened
I can't stand the Surefire momentary-twistie tailcap. I understand that it's pretty much 100% reliable, but for non-LEO users like me, a z59 is so much easier to use. Just my .02.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm 30% mall ninja. :D Personally for everyday use I hate twisties, and found no real difference between forward and reverse clickie.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Does this momentary still makes sense if say for example manufacturer finds a way to make the clicky as reliable as the momentary/twisty? Or do some people still prefer the momentary?

If clicky switches didn't have their poor track record, they'd be my preference.

jchoo

Enlightened
I prefer momentary/twisty for certain lights - for example, the Inova X1 I keep on my badge lanyard when working inside nuclear plants. It is simple to operate with heavy gloves on, and I know that the switch will not fail on me when I need it (there is no blackness greater than that inside a containment building when the lights go out!). On the other hand, I prefer forward clickie switches for tactical applications. I feel that in this situation, i.e. EDC gear, I'm checking on the items every single time I pick them up and put them on. By including a switch test in my daily routine, I feel I'll be able to detect any wear or changes in the switch before they become an issue that would prevent the light from functioning.

scottaw

Enlightened
I think my 120P setup is perfect. It's set for simple momentary, press and hold that button down, stays on til you let go. but if you click it, it just stays on, best of both worlds. But i do like my L1 for tough situations, just feels tough in my hand.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I generally prefer a momentary, based on the reasons given in post #2.

A well-designed foward clickie can be tough to find. As in, one that won't click on unless a bit of deliberate pressure is applied; and therefore works like a momentary, when desired.

Two best ones I've found; the clickie on the $20 Brinkmann Maxfire LX and the aftermarket clickie sold by Lighthound for the Tiablo A8 / A9.

Numbers

Enlightened
I liked my single stage SF clickies, until I got my first SF momentary/twistie which is now the switch I like the best. The funky switches on the e1l,e2l and e1b leave me uninterested in those lights anymore.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Most of my belt holstered EDCs are clickies, and are because they came that way.

My 2 backup lights are the E2e/Z-52 and the Inova X5 both twist tail caps.

I prefer twist tail caps, my favorite being the L1/L2 type.

Bill