LumaPower 31 (AA) Underrated?

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
Just got a LumaPower 301 in the mail... Seems to me that it's a very practical, useful kind of light. It's not going to blow anyone away with it's brightness, but it's $30 for a 16 hour low, 2+ hour high, great Seoul P4 beam, good tint, simple UI, good construction.

It doesn't get much mention lately, but to me it seems like a great choice for anyone looking for a straightforward affordable AA light. Anyone else a fan? Or a hater? :)

Last edited:

Niteowl

Enlightened
Re: LumaPower 301 (AA) Underrated?

.........a straightforward affordable AA light......

I recently picked up a LM31 (basically the same light) for that very reason. I even took out the two stage switch and put in a single stage. I just wanted a simple AA/SSC light with decent runtime, didn't have to be a retina scorcher.

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
Re: LumaPower 301 (AA) Underrated?

Duh, mines a 31 too... Where did you get single stage switch. Is it single on high or on low?

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
awesome light, I own one too. Have to say it's a lot of light in a little package and I will probably buy some to give a way as gifts, it has the KISSA interface so it won't confuse people.

edc3

Enlightened
I have both the LM31 and LM33 (CR123). They're great lights. Great beam, simple, no strobe / SOS. Attractive and well-built. I love 'em. :twothumbs

gunga

Flashaholic
I have a couple of them, tho one is going to my dear dad!

Simple, basic, and capable lights.

I was messing around with a dead alkaline too and found it was possible to suck a cell very dry. Something the more advanced lights (Fenix, Jetbeam, Olight etc) can't do due to higher required starting voltage.

When nearly dead, the alkaline will drop so far (ie below 0.9V) that it can't start another light. I find if you let it rest for a minute the LM31 can keep draining it till pretty much nothing is left.

A great 2 stage light that is going into my bail out bag as a brighter emergency light. I'd get another for daily use, but have too many other lights already!

Last edited:

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Yes I'm definitely keeping mine even though I've upgraded my EDC three times since I got it. Still a fine and very useful light.

merlocka

Enlightened
Fantastic light. Don't like the high-off-low-off cycle, but everything else is A+

Niteowl

Enlightened
Duh, mines a 31 too... Where did you get single stage switch. Is it single on high or on low?

On high. I ordered them from Battery Junction when I got my M1 XR-E's($6, IIRC). I tend to order extra switches if they are available. M1 uses the same switch. A forward clicky is also available from Battery Junction for the LM31/M1 XR-E.

Fantastic light. Don't like the high-off-low-off cycle, but everything else is A+

My was low-high-off as were the M1 two-stages. At least with that pattern you know where you start every time.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the LM31 and LM33. Apart from the fact that they are great lights both of them start on low with an off-low-high-off cycle.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they took a pretty good hit from the release of the Fenix LxTv2 lights. Still hold their own in the market though. Could use a 2xAA tube.

Cemoi

Enlightened
Don't like the high-off-low-off cycle

According to the manufacturer website, it is "Off-low-high-off", meaning that if you use it on low, you have to go through high before switching it off: not very friendly in an environment where you don't want to disturb others with bright light, like a mountain hut in my case :(.

pilou

Enlightened
The AA version is great because AAs are so cheap and easy to find.

But AAs that get left in harsh environment, such as glove boxes in hot whether, etc., risk leaking. I understand that CR123s are far less prone to leaking and my own experience is in line with that. How about yours?

I suppose that is the main practical difference between the 31 and 33.