Picked up new Duracell Mobile Charger

Kankujoe

Newly Enlightened
Out in the Woods, West Central Missouri, USA
I think I found a decent travel charger (Duracell Mobile Charger - CEF-23) to suppliment my primary "home" charger (LaCrosse BC-900U).

I picked it up at Wally World for $25. It came with 2AA & 2AAA Duracell LSDs.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000XSA5WW/ref=_dp_top?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

NLee the Engineer did a good review of it on Amazon. I believe a few forum members have complimented his knowledge and reviews.

Anyone here have and experience with this newly available charger?

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the similar CEF21 and like it.

The only disadvantage I have heard of these chargers is the slightly larger size compared to the most compact travel chargers out there. Personally I don't find the size a big problem and everything else about them is good.

Kankujoe

Newly Enlightened
I have the similar CEF21 and like it.

The only disadvantage I have heard of these chargers is the slightly larger size compared to the most compact travel chargers out there. Personally I don't find the size a big problem and everything else about them is good.

That is good to know... aside from the above review I have not found much comprehensive information about this new charger. None of the vendors who have them (many don't have them in stock yet) offer any detailed info on the specs. And the packaging info is not very informative.

One interesting thing about this Mobile Charger is that you can charge or run other devices (cell phones, PDA, iPods, etc.) off of it via it's USB port. You can even use Alkaline batteries to charge your devices via the USB port or you can run/charge external devices via AC or DC as well.

Pretty cool dual purpose unit!

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mobile Charger has been available in Target at $25 for a few months now. It seems like it charges slightly faster than the one I have; it charges at 550 mA per channel compared to 400 mA. That would mean it should charge Eneloops in about 4 hours.

It does seem like a very flexible device. Report back when you have tried it out and tell us how you like it.

Kankujoe

Newly Enlightened
The Mobile Charger has been available in Target at $25 for a few months now. It seems like it charges slightly faster than the one I have; it charges at 550 mA per channel compared to 400 mA. That would mean it should charge Eneloops in about 4 hours.

It does seem like a very flexible device. Report back when you have tried it out and tell us how you like it.

I will report back when I have had a change to use it to both charge NiMHs and when I have a chance to use the USB port to run/charge one of my mobile devices.

Question for you Mr. Happy...

You say that charging at 550 mA will charge my 2100 mA LSDs in about 4 hours. Is that break down for 1, 2, 3 or 4 cells individually or is it charging all four cells at one time? I've seen in literature elsewhere that 1 to 2 cells charge in 4 hours and 3 to 4 cells take longer (7-8 hours?). Since it is a smart charger and has individual channels will it charge all 4 cells in the 4 hour time frame or will it take longer? The literature that came with it does not list any time frame or chart.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question for you Mr. Happy...

You say that charging at 550 mA will charge my 2100 mA LSDs in about 4 hours. Is that break down for 1, 2, 3 or 4 cells individually or is it charging all four cells at one time? I've seen in literature elsewhere that 1 to 2 cells charge in 4 hours and 3 to 4 cells take longer (7-8 hours?). Since it is a smart charger and has individual channels will it charge all 4 cells in the 4 hour time frame or will it take longer? The literature that came with it does not list any time frame or chart.
It should be that it can charge all four cells at 550 mA at the same time, but as I don't own the charger I can't confirm it. Maybe you can time it and find out for us?

It is true that some chargers will charge 1 or 2 cells faster than 3 or 4 cells, but this is because their internal power supply is limited in the total output it can provide. A charger with a larger and more capable power supply can overcome this limitation.

FlaGator

Newly Enlightened
It should be that it can charge all four cells at 550 mA at the same time, but as I don't own the charger I can't confirm it. Maybe you can time it and find out for us?

It is true that some chargers will charge 1 or 2 cells faster than 3 or 4 cells, but this is because their internal power supply is limited in the total output it can provide. A charger with a larger and more capable power supply can overcome this limitation.

I have two and use them occasionally. One is in my office at work and the second stays in my car. It is bulky, but plugs into the wall with no adapter and can be used horizontally as well. I also like the fact it comes with a 12v adapter.

It is an independent channel charger and the 550 mA rate is for each slot.

Jackson

Newly Enlightened
I looked into this charger a few weeks back. With no info available, I contacted Duracell and asked if it could charge a single battery (to determine if it is single channel) and how long it takes to charge (to determine the charge current since that is not listed on the package, the web site or any of the vendor sites.)

This was the response:
"In regards to your inquiry you are able to charge just one battery at a time. Unfortunately the rest of the information you requested is unavailable."

Thanks for the info. It sounds like this is a decent charger. If only Duracell was able to communicate that fact.

Kankujoe

Newly Enlightened
I have not been able to find any official Duracell supplied info online about this charger.

This charger does indeed have 4 independent channels.

It lists on the back of the charger the following:

Input: 100-240V AC, 50/60Hz 8W or DC 12V 500mA

Output: 1.4V DC 550mA per slot (1-4 AA), 1.4 DC 550mA per slot (1-4 AAA), USB 5V DC 500mA

I believe it will work fine for my desired travel applications.

The only downside I see so far is that it came with the Chinese made Duracell LSDs. The upside I guess is that I can compair the quality of the Chinese vs. Japanese Duracell cells.

Last edited:

Kankujoe

Newly Enlightened
I've used this charger to "top off" two new 4 packs of Duracell LSDs. It took roughy 20 minutes to do so. Each red LED becomes green independently as the charge is complete. It will also charge any combo of AA or AAA.

I have also used it to charge my iPod and my Palm PDA via the USB port using NiMH batteries. I can't seem to get it to charge my cell phone (Motorola SLVR)? I don't understand this since I can charge my phone via USB using my notebook computer.

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone used this to charge a Motorazr phone, and if so, how well does it work. We are just recovering from some massive power outages here in Ohio, and I could see this as a useful tool. I didn't lose power, but many family members have used my electricity to charge cell phones, Ipods. Also, will a standard USB cable from a camera work to charge my phone? The phone uses mini USB.

Marc999

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a duracell mobile charger. Model: CEF 23 from Canadian Tire.

What's the consensus on charging in a vertical position with the lid closed? Will the heat be a tad much?

thanks,
Marc

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a duracell mobile charger. Model: CEF 23 from Canadian Tire.

What's the consensus on charging in a vertical position with the lid closed? Will the heat be a tad much?
Chargers designed to plug directly into a wall outlet are usually best used in that orientation. Often the charger electronics that generate heat are placed at the top of the charger to keep the heat away from the batteries as much as possible.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chargers designed to plug directly into a wall outlet are usually best used in that orientation. Often the charger electronics that generate heat are placed at the top of the charger to keep the heat away from the batteries as much as possible.

This is interesting because...

I use my Mobile Chargers exclusively in the horizontal position because I found (with IR thermometer) the top cell becomes hotter when used in the vertical position. As you said, the top has the "guts" that get hot. But when charging a full house, the top cell runs hotter near termination when the charger is vertical because the warmth from the other three cells are convecting upward and adding their heat to the top cell. I always charge with cover open.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my Duracell Mobile Charger to replace my older 30-minute charger and after cycling through a dozen cells, it seems that the top 2 positions get significantly hotter than the bottom 2 positions, even if only charging 2 cells at a time. The top of the charger gets noticeably warm to the touch no matter which positions are being used, so I attribute the increased cell temperature to the proximity of the heat generating components of the charging circuitry in the top of the charger.

I'm inclined to just pretend that the top 2 charging positions don't exist and use the bottom 2 positions exclusively. Am I over-reacting?

--flatline

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm inclined to just pretend that the top 2 charging positions don't exist and use the bottom 2 positions exclusively. Am I over-reacting?

--flatline

Not over reacting. I take it one step further. When charging only two cells, I choose bays 1 & 3. This keeps not only a cell out of the hottest bay near the top edge, but also creates a vacant slot between the two cells being charged. This allows more cooling to occur since they are not "sharing" their generated heat as they would using bays 1 & 2. I actually confirmed this a while back while trying to decide the bay 1/2 or bay 1/3 pairs decision. So, no, you're not over reacting. Anal-retentive, maybe, but around here that just means you pick a number and wait in line. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

joeparker54

Newly Enlightened

fu2ot5.jpg

you tell me if you're overreacting...

Sad thing is, I noticed it the other day and have no idea which battery it might even be. I'm sure it will show itself at the worst possible time...:shakehead