Post Banner Ad

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
*edit for clarity*

just curious what everybody thinks. please, no flames, just discussion.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i guess what i'm trying to say is this site isn't the small "home" it used to be. i pretty much stopped hanging out at other sites cause they were huge and plagued with problems.

we don't seem to be able to speak our minds here cause we don't want anybody offended. instead of a vibe in the cafe we have dull. lively exchange that used to go on is now labled flame baiting. this didn't start until the banner ads. it was unavoidable with the popularity of this site. i understand the bills have to be paid, no fault there.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, many lament the small community we used to have. Even several inside the staff miss the days you could read every single post in the whole forum. But those days are long gone.

Darell

Flashaholic
Long, long, LONG gone. If anybody can read all the posts anymore, I'd like to sell them a life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I don't have a problem with the banner ads, I've used that particular "Forum" and their banners at the top several times already as quicklinks to their respective websites.

My question concerning the new advertising policy was:

With all due respect to a paying sponsor, would I be able to tell another member about a great deal I found at "www.heresthegreatestdeal.com" seeing as "here's the greatest deal" is not a paying sponsor. Sort of diminishes my ability to find the best deals...or point them out to someone who's looking for best value for their dollar.

A posted request for "the best deal" followed up by private emails would fill that square I suppose?

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes you can Sigman.

This will be the hardpart for the staff. Figuring out who's being helpful and who's trying to get free advertising.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
"lively exchange that used to go on is now labled flame baiting. this didn't start until the banner ads"

I really don't see the connection to be honest. The moderators here have always tried to keep the forums friendly. Posts/posters that have been seen as trying to bait other members have always been frowned upon for as long as I have been coming here (which has been awhile as I lurked before I joined). As some wise forum owner has always said, "Attack the post; not the poster" (hopefully I got that right or at least close otherwise I will have to pretend I am quoting someone else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

The smaller days of the forum were nice but then again some thought it was getting too big back when I joined up. I would have hated to be frozen out so I certainly don't wish to freeze anyone else out.

Just my own little opinion,
Pat

Empath

Flashaholic
You're permitted to do that Sigman. What you can't do is place an advertisment within your signature line, making you a virtual billboard.

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
I'd like to sell them a life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Paypal sent!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
Long, long, LONG gone. If anybody can read all the posts anymore, I'd like to sell them a life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hey! even when i was employed i've almost qualified for this quote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif