SUREFIRE HEADLAMP

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
A while back I had started a homemade weaponlight that got the ax. While going through some old parts yesterday, I found the head adaptor and got the idea to make a headlight. I plan to go on a few camping trips this summer and was making a list of things I needed and a Headlight was one of them. I wanted it to be compatable with my other lights and decided the E-series was the perfect place to start. I went to Radio Shack earlier and bought the plug-in connectors, rubber weatherproofing boot, and heatshrink. I went to Target and bought a cheap-*** headlamp for the straping..... that I might take back do to thin headstrap and thin plastic.

I still have to come up with the final design for the body and might redesign it to have a side input jack also. I took an old E-series bezel, removed the glass and found a washer that fit the bezel perfectly. I then used an O-ring to seal it shut when screwing it down and made contact points for inside the head. The rubber boot can be pulled over the female connector but is not completely water-proof. I decided on a longer coil cord so that the body/switch can be mounted low on the belt or anywhere in between, or so you don't have to reach up to your head to turn ON/OFF.

I still need to make a final design for the body which will include an M600 Scoutlight mount so that it can be used on my AR or my bike, and I will probably make a version that has a side terminal instead. I might also make a wrist strap to use no-handed.....several options:shrug:

Does anyone know where to get really good quality waterproof connectors?:popcorn:

Here it is so far.......:duh2:

006.jpg

008-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

005-6.jpg

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on how you wear it on your head, it works fine:shrug:

Besides, I'm not done with the final design.:thinking: The side plug in jack will help bring the head up more....just thought I'd share.

I am going to look for another headlamp with a better strap and mounting set up.

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Looks good Dafab
Is that aluminium solder? I hear that's hard to do!
The whole thing is lent an air of "military cool funktionality" by the worn Surefire bits- way cool. Show us the Evo II version also..

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
No need to solder aluminum....I have a Tig welder for that. The bezel adaptor is held on with a screw inside taped to the aluminum block/heatsink

I will be adding more pics as it comes together, or as other examples are made.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy,
I agree that SF is long overdue for a headlamp.....especially with how simple it is to make. If they kept it compatable like I did, people would go nuts for a Headlamp kit, even if all they sold was the head-band with bezel adaptor, and a cord with a bezel-body-battery pack adaptor. People wouldn't have to spend a bunch more money on a dedicated headlamp. You could simply take your exsisting SF E-series light, take it apart, and screw them onto the headlamp kit. The battery pack could also easily be mounted to the head band as well. :twothumbs

12johnny,
The cord was something I had laying around for years that I just knew would be worth keeping. I have a terrible problem of seeing stuff that others see as junk, as useful. I actually have an entire room in my basemant loaded with scrap metel, wire, plastic, plexi-glass & bulletproof glass.....the list goes on and on. Anyway, a surprising amount of this stuff gets used for different projects that I come up with.
.......And thats the story of the cord......:ohgeez:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod. A C or E series mount would be great for those of us with a couple of those heads in various drawers.

I was actually thinking of doing something like this with my U2, but after I put a Seoul in my PT Apex I sort of forgot... :eek:

Sverre