Tiablo A8 SSC P7 flamethrower

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided that my Tiablo A8 needed to get a new life. It was quite premium with UCL-glass, CREE Q5, FluPIC etc. But It was kept in a drawer, and chances were high it would stay there.

This is what you need. One Tiablo, some SSC P7 emitters, a few reflectors to test beam distribution and geometry, various tools and some drivers for testing.

A8SSCp7_2.jpg

Removing the old emitter and the old 'potted' FluPIC sandwich. I always take out the driver with contact ring through the holes for emitter leads, a thin screwdriver and a hammer to tap it out. When the driver is out turn the module around and tap the emitter star out if it overlaps the hole (if not twist the star out with pliers, Tiablo & LP uses quite soft thermal glue).

A8SSCp7_3.jpg

The reflector has been opened to a diameter of ~9 mm with a stepless drill bit (for metal sheeting). The height of the emitter in relation to the reflector is good as it is, it is approx. the same height as a CREE on a star. The only modification neccessary is to enlarge the reflector opening to ~9mm. Best focus is acheived with the op reflector. I tried a number of focus points with my smooth reflector without any luck, in the end the smooth reflector had too much material removed for it to work. Now it's scrap:mecry:. The emitter is centered and glued to the heatsink module.

A8SSCp7_4.jpg

A8SSCp7_5.jpg

I tested some of the available driver configurations/solutions on this one. In the end I decided to go with direct drive because I can use the stock two level tailcap switch that comes with the Tiablo A8. Why would I want even some measly tenths of a Volt or even a few mA to be wasted? One 18650 LiION will make this emitter fly at spec without losses in a driver! When/if good drivers become available I'll put one in this light.
This is the direct drive interface, just a stripped driver in the contact ring with + & - wires to the emitter.

A8SSCp7_9.jpg

One of my experiments, gives the emitter ~2.3A. Wiring diagram courtesy of member Netkidz. It works ok, but I want it all! All the magnificent 2.9A!

A8SSCp7_10.jpg

The stock tailcap switch, it has one 10 Ohm smd resistor for low level. On the Tiablo low is very low. That doesn't work for me since this light is supposed to be a light cannon. The only solution is to change the resistor to a 0.5 Ohm one. Now the levels are; hysterical & insane. Before they were low low & insane. On level insane the light do get hot, so holding it tighly in the hand is advised to help it bleed off some heat.
After I changed resistor the hysterical level is ~60% of level insane.

A8SSCp7_6.jpg

A8SSCp7_7.jpg

I think I got it pretty well centered in the reflector.

A8SSCp7_1.jpg

Here with my modded edc A9.

A8SSCp7_8.jpg

Some indoor wall beamshots

A8SSCP7_1-1.jpg

A8SSCP7_2-1.jpg

A8SSCP7_3-1.jpg

A8SSCP7_4-1.jpg

A8SSCP7_5_2.jpg

Inverted and processed for saturation in paint . net. The darker the brighter it is. The hotspot is massive and the spill is intense.

A8SSCP7_5_3.jpg

A8SSCP7_7-1.jpg

A8SSCP7_6-1.jpg

A ~25 meter dark corridor.
0.5 sec. exposure. f/2.8. Iso 100. WB daylight.

TA8SSCP7_1.jpg

TA8SSCP7_2.jpg

TA8SSCP7_3.jpg

TA8SSCP7_4.jpg

Update 2008-04-13

I decided to make the light 'regulated', I'm going to use this with one 18650 cell so NetKidz elegant AMC7135 based solution will work. It's one 1Ampere multimode driver with a slaved 1.4 Ampere board. I made a sandwich with the two drivers and some thermal glue between them. These drivers doesn't really even get warm unless you feed them over 4.8 Volt. Regulation with one 18650 cell isn't perfectly flat, but it's a lot better than direct drive. It was somewhat difficult to solder this sandwich. I also put in a single level click switch again. Link to the wiring diagram: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=192677

The difference in brightness between 2.3-2.4A and 2.8A is negligible to me. It's a few thousand lux in total output, but it runs cooler and longer.

TiabloSSCp7Driver1.jpg

TiabloSSCp7Driver2.jpg

Update 2008-05-03

I did a runtime on high, at 2.4A. It's a very impressive runtime with one AW 18650 2200 mAh LiION cell. About 50 minutes to 50%! This light need to be held in the hand for thermal transfer and cooling, but when held it never exceed 38 degrees Celsius
with an ambient temp of ~20 Celsius.

Runtime24A.jpg

(I still plan to do outdoor beamshots as soon as possible)

Stefan

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering how big of a problem the heat is going to be. Can't wait for the beamshots, can you compare it to the P7 Mag you made too?

Thanks!
AlexGT

simple

Newly Enlightened
Nice mod to the reflector. Stefan, could you post a picture of your "stepless drill bit"? Had no luck with google...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Take your time with the beamshots StefanFS, I would hate to rush you in your work and have the beamshots be a blur and of bad quality.

Though you might be able to do some quick wall shots or ceiling bounce shots.

Either way,

:goodjob:

Team Member

Enlightened
A P7 in a Tiablo..:paypal:

This must be close to the Jedi light saber with todays technology..

And your work is always top notch.

We need to have a flashlight get-to-gether :buddies:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was reading this slowly, inching down the page, so that i could savour the moment i saw the beamshots...but alas! no beamshots...

:faint:

quick! dying to see what 900 lumens looks like in a tiablo..

Crenshaw

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened
Stefan ?

First of all .....darn.... we need to get our daily dosis on P7 beamshots from you ;).

and second .... I pm`d you but no answer yet... would you mod one for me ?:candle:

simple

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. It seems both a conical drill bit and a taper reamer will do the job.

I'm guessing to get the ideal focus, the reflector needs to be lifted from the LED a little. But the difference might be negligible.

yo6ial

Newly Enlightened
Darn! that looks good!:twothumbs
It seems that SSC knows how to make our fingertips itch :p
...If only my local led supplier would bring those goodies, on this side of earth...

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info guys. It seems both a conical drill bit and a taper reamer will do the job.

I'm guessing to get the ideal focus, the reflector needs to be lifted from the LED a little. But the difference might be negligible.

Very slightly yes. But it's hard to see a difference with the op reflector. The beam from the smooth is horrible at all focus points. Luckily it's easy to focus the Tiablos/MRV lights since the head and reflector turns in relation to the emitter.

-------------------

lumenlover2,
I'm pressed for time this week, scarcely had time to post this mod, no time to answer messages.

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened
Very slightly yes. But it's hard to see a difference with the op reflector. The beam from the smooth is horrible at all focus points. Luckily it's easy to focus the Tiablos/MRV lights since the head and reflector turns in relation to the emitter.

-------------------

lumenlover2,
I'm pressed for time this week, scarcely had time to post this mod, no time to answer messages.

Hey no prob. i`ll wait;)