SUREFIRE HEADLAMP/BIKE LIGHT- Version II

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is another version that I made this afternoon. I cut down one of my 2 cell "Ribbed" bodies. I will figure out something more permanent for the endcap, but the rubber plug works fine for now.

I REALLY need to find some quality waterproof connectors.

Now to figure out the mounting systems for this one.

This is a follow up to version one started yesterday.
Heres the link..... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194724

KL3 with E-C adaptor
019-3.jpg

Triple Seoul KL4

011.jpg

KL2 with E-C and C-M adaptors

022-3.jpg

Bike/Gun/Tripod Mount

027-3.jpg

Main Components

013-6.jpg

E2e Bezel on Tripod. :thumbsup:

033-1.jpg

3" Turbohead with TNC Turbohead-E-series adaptor

023-1.jpg

015-3.jpg

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SUREFIRE HEADLAMP Version II

Simple and effective.

I drilled 2 holes in the hat and screwed it down. One is closer to the front for small bezels and the other is further back for larger bezels. The 3" Turbohead is Really light weight, and the TNC adaptor is perfect for this. I'll still probably look for another headlight to steal the head strap from and make a different version. I used a small carabeaner to secure the coiled wire to the back of the hat. I like that I don't have to reach up to my head to turn it ON/OFF.:twothumbs

004-2.jpg

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

And the Bike Mount........

I'm about to go test it on a little ride to the Post Office to send out Trans package.....

Seems very sturdy so far! And it's very easy to reach over with your thumb to activate the light.
I think I'm going to make a mount for my Kroma and try to fab an arm to turn the selector ring from LOW RED to HIGH RED when I apply the back brakes...Don't know if it'll work or not yet:thinking:

015-4.jpg

011-1.jpg

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thats a nice system you've put together.
Have you tried putting the switch in place of the red plug?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

I could, but I like the way it is set up for now.

It was 71 in Michigan today, and I was able to take the Bike light for a test ride. It felt and looked SOOOO much sturdier than my old Set up. I used to mount either an M951XM07, M971XM07 or M111D to a piece of picatiny rail that was mounted to the old reflector mount that was mounted to my handlebars...got that?.... This system helps to center the weight, and the light does not move freely nearly as much as the old one, even with a turbohead on it! Hopefully It doesn't rain anymore and I'll get to try it out tonight. It felt so good to get out there today! I can't wait to ride more. Last summer I FINALLY bought a new bike, (Cannondale Rush "Lefty") I rode a Klien Mantra for the last 10 years and needed an upgrade. Getting into flashlights has allowed me to enjoy bike riding even more, knowing I'm not limited to daytime riding only.

So far this little light is pretty versitile. I could use it on the tripod while working on the car or setting up camp. The Bike mount is Excellent!!...So far. The way it feels mounted to the hat is great also. If I get motivated, I will try to fab up the wrist/hand mount this weekend.

Bike Light with KT1 Turbohead

028-1.jpg

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

dom, Thanks for the tip:thumbsup:

Heres some more stuff I did today for the bike light. I found a barrel mount for a flashlight and used it to mount the E-series to the handlebars. It is so sturdy now. Much better than the zip-ties in the above pics... All I have to do is move my thumb over a bit to turn on the Headlight. It is in the perfect position.

I also made a "Brake Light" for my bike. I used one of my Ribbed 1 cell bodies and a modded E-series head with a Seoul and Mcr20s and wedged it in under my seat.....fit great! I used a red surefire filter for it. I then used an empty C-series tailcap and made connection points for the plug-in cord. I bought some more power connectors at radio shack. I used a pressure switch I had laying around to activate the light.
As you will see in the pictures, I used a piece of 1/8" welding rod and welded it to a washer. Gave the rod a few bends and applied some heatshrink and a rubber cap to finish it off. Next I made an Aluminum mounting bracket with a few holes for 2 zip-ties for the pressure switch and routed the cord to the flashlight and pluged it in. When the brake is pulled the arm comes down on the pressure switch which turns on the brake light. The rod is still thin enough that it will bend if it needs to. I am going to add a resistor so I can have a low constantly on and a switch so I can turn it off completely.

007-1.jpg

005-7.jpg

004-5.jpg

002-6.jpg

009-2.jpg

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heres some more headlight/bike light ideas......:thumbsup:

Lately with the weather getting better I have been doing a lot of night hikes and night rides. I've been loading up my backpack with all sorts of different lights to see what advantages some have over the others. I plan on going camping a few times this summer. I will already be loaded down, and want to eliminate some of the contenders and weight. I enjoy the U2 and I can see the multi-levels being better used in the dark where no ambiant light is near. I've been using my Kroma SO MUCH more since modding it with a Seoul and McR20 reflector. The low is as low or lower than my Gen. 1 or 2 L1 modded with a Seoul and McR18, and the High on the Kroma and beam pattern are Great! I decided they need to come on the trip. The U2 would be a great headlamp with adjustable brightness and the Kroma might be interesting on a leash as well.
I took an empty 6P Twisty and enlarged the botton hole using a Uni-Bit. Next I sanded down the bottom so the tailcap can screw onto the U2 & Kroma Bezels. I used an OLD Surefire remote ON/OFF switch, cut the cable and soldered on a plug-in power connector, finishing it off with some heatshrink. A 1" scope mount ring works perfect for grabbing onto the tailcap. I have a piece of piccatinny rail mounted on my bike that works great with the scope rings for holding lights. I had to use my McE2s tailcap to get both High/Low on the Kroma to work correctly.
I plan to mount a piece of the piccatinny rail to the top side of one of my hats, which in turn I can use to mount the scope ring.

027-4.jpg

035-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

038-2.jpg

Last edited:

TMorita

Enlightened
DeFABRICATA said:
I REALLY need to find some quality waterproof connectors.

I undertook a very long quest to find some good waterproof connectors for an external battery pack for a Princeton Tec APEX headlamp a few months ago.

I finally settled on Switchcraft CONXALL Micro-Con-X connectors. They're water resistant to IP67 and have a positive locking mechanism, and are fairly small and inobtrusive.

I bought mine from Mouser Electronics:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/633/1241.pdf

I used 18282-2SG-315 on the battery side, and 16282-2PG-315 on the light side. I generally recommend using female sockets on the battery side and male pins on the light side. This minimizes the possibility of a metal sliver falling inside the connector and shorting out the battery.

Toshi

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
7Freeman,

If you didn't drive a car, pay insurance, and gas for 8 years, you could invest in a few other things.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is one nice bike!!! Wow! I really like the rear light, too. Makes it a lot easier for us car drivers to aim for...uh...I mean, avoid you. :whistle:

A123Powered

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the connectors, I have been using some Switchcraft connectors as well (SWITCHCRAFT EN3™ Weathertight Series). They work pretty well with my Mag bike light. I added some silicone to the boot to help further weather seal them. Here is the link:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/633/1257.pdf

I also used one of these for a vehicle project which turned out great.