Oops, things to think about before messing with your light

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I stripped the anodizing off my p3d, and high gloss polished it. Well it looks great, goes well with my victorinox spirit which rides on my belt next to each other.

Tonight I tried to use the red filter, oops! Apparently the anodizing was just thick and rough enough to make the filter housing grab tightly, now it still fits, but falls off very easily. Well, there's goes my only red light. :banghead: The diffuser still fits, because of the conical design.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I'll add one . . . .

Don't ever try to clean your flashlight's reflector.

Just live with it.

It's fine.

Really.

Same goes for expen$ive camera lenses.

:sigh:
_

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I stripped the anodizing off my p3d, and high gloss polished it. Well it looks great, goes well with my victorinox spirit which rides on my belt next to each other.

Tonight I tried to use the red filter, oops! Apparently the anodizing was just thick and rough enough to make the filter housing grab tightly, now it still fits, but falls off very easily. Well, there's goes my only red light. :banghead: The diffuser still fits, because of the conical design.

Maybe try putting a wrap of electrical tape around the inside of the filter? Sticky side *out* (taped to the inside of the filter)... Just a WAG, though.

mighty82

Enlightened
I'll add one . . . .

Don't ever try to clean your flashlight's reflector.

Just live with it.

It's fine.

Really.

Same goes for expen$ive camera lenses.

:sigh:
_
I cleaned my L0D's reflector yesterday with a cotton stick (??). I put it back together and the reflector appeared totally white when i turned it on :thinking:. I took it back out and did the same thing under running water, and it was back to normal again :D. I think cleaning it under running water is good for not scratching it too.

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened

just put a thin strip of electrical tape on the inside ring of your filter that should do the trick...

EDIT: sorry didn't see someone already posted the same thing...

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just paint a little Varathane polyurethane on the inside lip of the red filter. Should make up the difference. Rust-Oleum makes it these days.

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I used oven cleaner last night and today. Took a couple of tries but she is shiny like chrome. Polished with metal polish for the final touches.

Thanks everyone for the detailed instructions. I've been dying to take the anodizing off one of my lights and shine it up like a mirror.

Bill

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
Well I used oven cleaner last night and today. Took a couple of tries but she is shiny like chrome. Polished with metal polish for the final touches.

Thanks everyone for the detailed instructions. I've been dying to take the anodizing off one of my lights and shine it up like a mirror.

Bill

well show us some pics...

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick snap shot.

20080412t40001mc0.jpg

meuge

Enlightened

Put a thin layer of epoxy on the grab ring of the red filter, then use some light sandpaper to smooth it.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
It's raining so the lighting isn't good, afraid this is the best I can do now.

Suddenly I want to strip my P2D and my LF2. That's a great picture - really pretty.

Is the light any harder to hold onto (slicker) than before you stripped the anodizing? Does it scratch or tarnish?

I could look at that picture all day.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a pretty P3D now jzmtl, really cool looking! I might just give it a go myself, well maybe...