Surefire Kroma selector ring detent damage

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I have a question for all owners of SF Kromas. Do your selector ring detents all work properly or have some of you guys damaged yours and learned to live with it? On mine, it is damaged and the detent is no longer felt, but still the colored rings function properly without the stops. If I turn past the original stops, then the light functions normally with low/high white without the colored LED rings.

Why is the detent mechanism so frail? I've read some of the posts about modding Kromas and the poorly planned plastic detent. Any thoughts or some insight to what owners' have done with their lights would be appreciated.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had this problem with my Kroma. If it did develop such a problem, I'm sure I would just contact SureFire to arrange repairs.

Regards,
Tempest

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I finally got my selector ring off, the little detent piece was broke off. it still worked fine.....even after reasembly, all I did was put it back in place and it still worked fine.:shrug::thinking:

I'd just send it back to SF for warrantee repair.

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses guys, I think I may hang on to it for a bit longer and maybe try to mod it or try to repair it myself if I can get the ring off. Most of my Surefires have all been cracked open already and modded, so warranties are pretty much void. Guess I'll start posting in the Kroma mods thread by DaFabricata.
One more quick question, since you guys area already looking through this thread.

Do you notice a very square projection in this shape [||]from the Lux emitter through the TIR optic at about 20 feet and less? Is this normal for all Luxeon emitters with optics? I love the tint on mine, but the square is a bit annoying in closer ranges. Maybe one more reason to send it off to SF for warranty if this isn't normal? Just want to make sure mine isn't the only one like that. Thanks again for the input!:thumbsup:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the fist artifact I've heard of like that. More common are the round "doughnut holes". I'd say that's another problem you'll want to let the warranty department aware of.

Paladin

Enlightened
Could anyone educate me about how normal Kroma switching actually works? On my U2 it goes from low to high with 6 positions. On an L1 or L2 the press lightly for low, press harder for high I can relate to.

Do the colored LED's stay on when the white main LED is activated? Are there discrete selections for the red, blue, and white on the Kroma?:thinking:

Paladin

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenpea76,

My Kroma had a really nasty square purple beam with other artifacts in it.

The Kroma has BOTH a 2-stage tailcap AND a selector ring. Turn the tailcap for LOW, turn more for HIGH. If in the LOW position, the Selector ring works in this order----Left working Right----Far Left-Blue High--Blue Low-White Low-Red Low-Red High. Turn the tailcap more for High and the center High comes on Along with whatever you select with the ring. If you choose (white Low) while tailcap is in the high position, all you will have is center white LED on High.

Does this help?

umc

Enlightened
Since we're on the subject.....

My U2's selector ring doesn't click like my Kroma's which I think is normal for that but the selector right is "tighter" than that of my Kroma. What I mean is that it takes a little more to twist the selector ring on my U2.

On my Kroma it's not tight at all and I think if it weren't for the detent it would be possible for the ring to move on its own.

How is everyone else's U2 and Kroma?

Last edited:

GreySave

Enlightened
The Kroma's white beam is typically square at VERY close range (Let's say less than 20 inches as a guess). I believe that is designed into it due to the emitter and optic design. Beyond that close range it should appear as a rather pretty (my opinion) spot beam with some spill. If you have a square beam at 20 feet I'd say something is amiss....