Newbie here looking for Scorpion Xenon -> LED Mods

davedds

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all!!!

I've been reading these forums for about 1 week already and I have already spent about $250 bucks on lights... Ugh!!! I'm hooked

1) SF G2L
2) SF 6PD
3) Markoff M60 dropin
4) TerraLUX 5W Minimag Upgrade/TerraLUX tailcap clicky
5) More to come....

Well this post is for some help in locating some info about the SL Scorpion (Xenon bulb version) which I got about 10 years ago. Its been sitting around because it goes thru 123's like butter. Anyways I've searched all over for some type of LED conversion here and on the net and have not found too much. All I have found is that I can "put a 2.5mm LED" directly into the bipin and drill out the reflector hole a bit to get it to fit. Everytime I do a search I get hits that are about converting the current scorpion LED version with a better "LED" like P4 or Q5 etc... Nothing about converting a Xenon to LED....

Anyways this place it great!!!! I'm hooked!!!!

TIA for any help!!!:wave:

Last edited:

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got two old scorps I wouldn't mind converting also.
I have seen DIy parts that you can get thru dealextreme.com, but have no idea if any would fit/work

davedds

Newly Enlightened
I got two old scorps I wouldn't mind converting also.
I have seen DIy parts that you can get thru dealextreme.com, but have no idea if any would fit/work

do you have a link to the dealextreme DIY kit, I've looked and can not find anything. BTW this is for the "Streamlight" Scorpion I'm looking for and not anything for the "GP" Scorpion....

TIA

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, thats what I said, DIY parts.

I suppose if someone had the proper tools to measure we could see if one of the drop in modules could fit (easiest option?).

That would involve removing the stock reflector?
Otherwise one would have to install an emitter, but that would probably be a job for a modder, what with heatsinking and all. I'm sure its lots easier now days to DIY, but not sure if I would be up to that task.

Would be nice if there was an easy fix to drop in a Cree or Rebel to give the light new life.
I have a supposedly rare SL Scorp with a factory belt clip and it would be pretty cool to make a Cree blaster out of it.

davedds

Newly Enlightened
Many of the drop-ins work with the scorpion.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4068
I have this ssc one. Most require a bit of fiddling to get the right fit with the extra spring. May have to cut the loops...ect. Most don't fit dead perfect...but mine works great, and I'm quite happy with it.

Are you sure we are talking about the same scorpion by streamlight???

I want to mod an original "Xenon" Scorpion and put a "LED" in it. I dont have the "LED" version or the scorpion which is a differnet animal than the "xenon" version of it and I and not looking to mod a "GP Scorpion" which is not even made by streamlight....

If you use the SSC dropin how did you modify it??? the scorpion I have has an orange peel refelctor that is part of the head and the spring is also in the head. The little stock bi-pin pod fits between the two and thats it???

So far the only thing I've seen is to change the bulb to a TL-3 by streamlight and use a "rechargable" battery and thats the only thing I can scracth up so far...But its still a incan bulb....It may be a bit more powerfull because of the higher output on the bulb and the voltage. But again I'm still looking into a LED for this thing.

Going over whats availabile at Dealextreme I have to do a bit more research into this if I am going to mod it my self by making something from scratch.....

A question about these parts ( I hope I can ask them here )
the "LED" emitters, can they be powered directly from the battery or do they have to go and pass some regulator???, I've seen direct drive and regulated output before, but for a test mule to get things up and running I would like to see if I can just get one of these that can handle the 6V from the two 123's and stick it into the stock bipid pod and see if that works. I know I would still have to fab some type of platform that can hold the emitter on one side and then the bi pin on the other. I am thinking on the lines of some of those MiniMag bip drop in LED's. Then I would go into tweaking the thing and perhaps use the stock pod as a carrier, and maybe mass produce these someday and make a few extra bucks. Since no one has really had any success with the scorpion conversion...

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Newbie here looking for Streamlight Scorpion Xenon -> LED Mods

Most white high power LEDs (Luxeon, SSC, Cree) operate on somewhere between 3.3 and 3.5 Volts, so you can direct drive them off of a rechargeable Lithium ion, like a 17650 that may fit in the Scorpion body. If you want to use two CR123s, you will need a "buck" driver that drops the voltage to the correct range for your LED.
I'm watching this thread because I have a SL Scorpion that I like, but am afraid to use when other lights are available that are much easier on batteries. But I also don't want to get rid of all my incans, though I only have a few. I would like this to be a reversible mod if possible.
To make a "bulb replacement" mod you may have to use a Rebel for its size, or bore out the reflector a lot. Pay special attention to seeing how high you want the LED in the reflector before fabricating the LED bi-pin bulb to get the proper focus.
A question about these parts ( I hope I can ask them here )
the "LED" emitters, can they be powered directly from the battery or do they have to go and pass some regulator???, I've seen direct drive and regulated output before, but for a test mule to get things up and running I would like to see if I can just get one of these that can handle the 6V from the two 123's and stick it into the stock bipid pod and see if that works. I know I would still have to fab some type of platform that can hold the emitter on one side and then the bi pin on the other. I am thinking on the lines of some of those MiniMag bip drop in LED's. Then I would go into tweaking the thing and perhaps use the stock pod as a carrier, and maybe mass produce these someday and make a few extra bucks. Since no one has really had any success with the scorpion conversion...

davedds

Newly Enlightened

Most white high power LEDs (Luxeon, SSC, Cree) operate on somewhere between 3.3 and 3.5 Volts, so you can direct drive them off of a rechargeable Lithium ion, like a 17650 that may fit in the Scorpion body. If you want to use two CR123s, you will need a "buck" driver that drops the voltage to the correct range for your LED.
I'm watching this thread because I have a SL Scorpion that I like, but am afraid to use when other lights are available that are much easier on batteries. But I also don't want to get rid of all my incans, though I only have a few. I would like this to be a reversible mod if possible.
To make a "bulb replacement" mod you may have to use a Rebel for its size, or bore out the reflector a lot. Pay special attention to seeing how high you want the LED in the reflector before fabricating the LED bi-pin bulb to get the proper focus.

Gotcha, A rechargable about the size of 2 123's with a voltage of about 3.7 or so and drive a LED directly... I to would like to make this "Reverseable" so I'm going to try to make something to plug into the stock pod bi pins that it came with....The hole for the bulb is very "Deep" into the head and it looks like its a pain in the rear to get out to play with. I'm going to look into taking the head apart without really messing things up 1st before I get the parts to try this out....

lets see....

Gunner12

Flashaholic

It might be hard to make it reversible. You'll also need to fit a decent heatsink in there so the LED doesn't fry from the heat it creates as it is running.

Also, a Li-ion battery is 4.2v off the charger, that can overdrive the LED and cause it to overheat if the heatsinking is not enough. A resistor might work to control the voltage.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't taken a close look at my Scorp yet so I don't know about the setup.

But I got the idea of TerraLux miniMag module (TLE-5EX)after seeing your comments about the bi-pin.
Wouldn't be a super blaster, but should be 60-80 lumens(?) being that the advertised lumens are 100.
If it worked then it would be an issue of reducing voltage. Maybe a dummy cell?
I'm just looking at really, really simple tweaks.

Was also wondering about Dereelight pills. If they could be wired for bi-pin, or would fit.

davedds

Newly Enlightened
well, i've fabricated a dummy 123 cell and used the led from one of those cheap keyring led lights. so far it works, it lights up but because the led from the keychain has a beam that is focused already I am only getting the same result as if it was the keychain itself. The reflector in the scorpion does not do anything. Now on to the next step, trying to find some other led that has more output and more of an omni direction pattern so the reflector would be more useful.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a Rebel may be the only thing small enough with the power and dispersal pattern you need. IF it is small enough.

horizonseeker

Enlightened
I took the head apart, none of the current P60 drop in will fit because the opening in the head is too small, and you cannot screw it in from the back either.

the OEM reflector will come out if you pound on it, it is a solid block of aluminum and extends deep inside the head, any modifications will have to either come with a new reflector or cut down the original one.

also, if you are looking to use 3.6V for your mod, the 17670 batteries (unprotected) will fit into the scorpion tube with no problems.

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
The Scorpion was my first high tech flashlight before I got hooked on LED's .I did the MiniMag TerraLux upgrade and tail switch, made that a very useable flashlight. I've thought about a LED conversion for the Scorpion but I don't think it would be worth the money, give me the brightness I want or have the many features of my favorite flashlight the Olight T-20. I just got my Tiablo MA1 and for it's small size and single AAA battery it is a very usefyl light. I'll keep my Scorpion stock and it will serve as a example of the old days.

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
Just wanted to add that I've used rechargeable 123A's in my Scorpion but stopped because I read they can damage the bulb. The rechargeables do work very well in my Olights.