My list of priorities are:

1. Price (may be buying more than 1)
2. 1" or very close body diameter
3. Shock Proofing
4a. Weather Resistance
4b. Warranty Support
5. Long Life
6. Brightness

Any suggestions? I was originally considering the TK10 light but decided I want something a lot less than that.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Surefire G2L is the only one that immediately comes to mind.

**edit**
SF customer support and lifetime parts replacement (sans-module) can't be beat.

Last edited:

FlyPenFly

Newly Enlightened
I'm assuming LEDs are a lot more shock resistant than Xenon lights right? They're to be mounted on rifles.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, definitely.

and if its for a rifle, then id definitely say surefire.

and its not really going to be inexpensive...

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much are you willing to spend?

How about the Inova 2008 T1? It has a 1" (dia) x 4.56" (L). It has an output of 100 lumens, running of 2x CR123a batteries. The runtime is about 5 hours. The price I found at batteryjunction is $48.79 (http://www.batteryjunction.com/2008-t1-inova.html), but you may be able to google it and find it cheaper elsewhere.

I don't have this model, but I have several Inova flashlights in the past and they're very solid.

This is the only one I could think of off the top of my head.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The main differences will be the newer one is brighter and has different modes.

How much throw do you need?

FlyPenFly

Newly Enlightened
The main differences will be the newer one is brighter and has different modes.

How much throw do you need?

I really have no idea. This is for some ARs. I have 2 ARs, both of them have Viking light mounts but only 1 of them has a light, a Pentagon L2. I was going to get the Fenix TK10 for the other rifle but it turns out I need to divert all my fun money towards something else so I just want something on the AR that's adequate.

Not looking for the best. In all likelihood, it'll only be used for some carbine training classes that are all mostly short range.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is correct. I had the older T1 with 35 lumens. It's bright enough for general tasks, but may not be good enough for what you're looking for. Plus, it only runs for about 1.5 hours. I would rather spend the extra $20 and get the 2008 model with 100 lumens and 5 hours runtime. If you get it from batteryjunction, there's a discount code that gives you 5% off ... not a lot, but it helps with the shipping at least.

Thanks for that, the only difference between the 2008 and 2007 T1 seems to be the LED and battery life right?

These people seem to have it for $25

http://salestores.com/inovat1w.html

The 2007.

FlyPenFly

Newly Enlightened
That is correct. I had the older T1 with 35 lumens. It's bright enough for general tasks, but may not be good enough for what you're looking for. Plus, it only runs for about 1.5 hours. I would rather spend the extra $20 and get the 2008 model with 100 lumens and 5 hours runtime. If you get it from batteryjunction, there's a discount code that gives you 5% off ... not a lot, but it helps with the shipping at least.

Question though, it's not 5 hours of 100 lumens is it?

Also, there seems to be TWO 2007 models, on that is 35 and one that is 80.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the 2008 model, so my speculation is that it's probably 1.5 to 2 hours at 100 lumens, and then it will be operating at 50 lumens or lower. Just my guess.

I have the older 35 lumens model .. didn't even know they had the 80 lumens one until I was googling for you.

Oh, I found another place that you can get it for cheaper: http://defensedevices.com/inova-t1tactical-flashlight.html

They have the 2007 and 2008 model. They say the 2007 model is 85 lumens, it's selling for $35.95. The 2008 model is $41.95.

Question though, it's not 5 hours of 100 lumens is it?

Also, there seems to be TWO 2007 models, on that is 35 and one that is 80.

FlyPenFly

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, looks like T1 it is unless someone has other suggestions.

Has anyone done any waterproof tests on these?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlyPen,

If you could wait, I would see what other members have to say. I don't want you to jump in and buy a flashlight based on my limited flashlight experiences.

The Inova T1 is the only light that I could think of that meets your critera of being inexpensive with 1" diameter. They were designed for tactical purpose and it's very rugged. The T1 is probably the heaviest flashlight I have for it's size. Plus, it's made in USA, which means a lot to some people.

I found a couple of threads that you may be interested in:

Inova T1 2008 http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=190838

Inova T1 2007 - https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/167565

Let us know what your decision is. If you buy it, let us know how you like it. Good luck, oh, and also :welcome:

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I'm assuming LEDs are a lot more shock resistant than Xenon lights right? They're to be mounted on rifles.

I wouldn't mount anything on a rifle that wasn't meant to be. Even an LED flashlight can be easily damaged and rendered inoperable by recoil. For this purpose I would stick with SureFire or Streamlight.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Exactly my thoughts,let us know if you purchase how well it stands up to recoil,and what would the statis of the G2L be under recoil as well,gl

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I wouldn't mount anything on a rifle that wasn't meant to be. Even an LED flashlight can be easily damaged and rendered inoperable by recoil. For this purpose I would stick with SureFire or Streamlight.

+1. Even if the LED itself is not subject to shock or vibration, the electronic components on the converter board could give way. Depending on your use for the firearm, you might really need the light for a second shot. Unless you never miss...;)

FlyPenFly

Newly Enlightened
I have a Pentagon L2 which is a "weapons grade" light, whatever that means. Very well built but doesn't all that much more designed for shock resistance than anything else. 5.56 in M193 even in a carbine doesn't kick super bad, it's not a 308 or anything.

The T1 is for my 9mm AR so recoil should be even less. I'll see how it does.

Latest posts