Malkoff M60 & M30 Runtimes,etc

gsnorm

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I could not find any runtime info on the Malkoff M60 dropin using rechargeables so I ran some totally unscientific tests using 18650,17670, 18500 and RCR123's.
Of the M60, Gene states on his website: "The input voltage is 3.8 - 9 volts. Below 3.8 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive. The runtime is 1 1/2+ hours on 2 CR123 primary batteries"
2 RCR123's seem to be the preferred choice but how about the single cell setup? Above 3.8 volts is the range where the light will run in regulation before we get decreasing light output. But how long do these single cells power the M60 in that regulated range? And is there any difference in brightness between the configurations? All cells used were hot off the charger reading 4.18-4.19 volts.

(2) AW 750 mah RCR123's in the Surefire C2 + M60 ran for 38 minutes before shutting off. In a second test with different RCR123's it ran for 41 minutes before shutting off.

(1) AW 1600 mah 17670 + SF C2 + M60 ran for 3 hours before I shut it off - it was very dim at that point. At the one hour mark I pulled the cell and measured the voltage - 3.78 volts. So we get roughly 1 hour of regulated output and 2 hours of declining output.

(1) AW 2200 mah 18650 + Leefbody + M60 ran for 3.5 hours before I shut it off (had to go to work) it was dim but not as dim as the 17670 test - probably would do 4 hours+. At the 1.5 hour mark I pulled the cell and measured the voltage - 3.83 volts. So with the 18650 we get over 1.5 hours of regulated output and 2 - 2.5 hours? of declining output.

It should be noted that although not noticeable (to my eyes) the RCR123 setup produces more output as measured by my cheap styrofoam cooler lightbox: 3730 lux verses 3300 lux using the18650.

A couple more tests:

(2) AW 1500 mah 18500 + Leefbody + M60 ran for 2 hours and 27 minutes before shutting off. There was no noticeable drop in output during the run.

(2) AW 2200 mah 18650 + Leefbody + M60 ran for 3 hours and 14 minutes before shutting off. Again no noticeable drop in output during the run.

The Malkoff M30 is not available on his website.(edit:no longer true) If you want one you have to contact Gene and requested it. It looks identical to the M60 except for the engraving- rather than M60 you have: M30,1-4.5v. Ideal for a 3.7 volt single cell.

How does the M30 compare to the M60 when powered by a single 18650?

Lightbox:
M60 = 3300 lux
M30 = 4190 lux

Amp Draw:
M60 = .88 amps
M30 = 1.1 amps (after 2 minutes)

Runtime:
M60 = over 1.5 hours regulated / over 3.5 hours total
M30 = ran for 1 hour and 57 minutes before shutting off. No noticeable drop in output during the run. ( ran for 1 hour and 19 minutes on a 17670 before shutting off)

The M30 runs noticeably warmer (not hot) than the M60.
Cheers, Frank

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You said:

Runtime:
M30 = ran for 1 hour and 57 minutes before shutting off. No noticeable drop in output during the run. ( ran for 1 hour and 19 minutes on a 17670 before shutting off
________________________________________________________________________________

Did you take lux measurements using your lightbox for these figures? If not, would you please do that? That would be very valuable info and tell us a lot about the M60, M30 driver's. Thanks,

Bill

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If i read it right you only get about 45min more runtime with the M60 if you use 2 18650 instead of one?

gsnorm

Newly Enlightened
You said:

Runtime:
M30 = ran for 1 hour and 57 minutes before shutting off. No noticeable drop in output during the run. ( ran for 1 hour and 19 minutes on a 17670 before shutting off
________________________________________________________________________________

Did you take lux measurements using your lightbox for these figures? If not, would you please do that? That would be very valuable info and tell us a lot about the M60, M30 driver's. Thanks,

Bill

Bill, I took lux measurements with the lightbox at the beginning of the run for each module.
The M60 produced 3300lux, the M30 4190lux, and that info was in my original post. Was there any other information you were looking for?
Frank

gsnorm

Newly Enlightened
If i read it right you only get about 45min more runtime with the M60 if you use 2 18650 instead of one?

Not exactly- with one 18650 you get about 1.5 hours of regulated output, with two 18650's you get about 3 hours & 14 minutes of regulated output. Of course with protected cells the dual cell setup will shut off before venturing into unregulated territory whereas the single cell setup will keep running unregulated for quite some time.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Bill, I took lux measurements with the lightbox at the beginning of the run for each module.
The M60 produced 3300lux, the M30 4190lux, and that info was in my original post. Was there any other information you were looking for?
Frank

I was thinking that you could do a basic runtime output graph by leaving the light on, and plotting the lux number each 15 minutes. Ten minutes might be better. As output diminishes your lux numbers will go down, and voila you will have the first ever runtime graph for an M60, and M30 if you do that one too. If you don't want to do a graph just write the lux number down for every 10 or 15 minutes and we can do our own graph. We will be able to accurately see how long the M60 runs in flat regulation (or otherwise) before output drops off significantly. Info on the M30 would be valuable too.

Bill

sixshooter_45

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking that you could do a basic runtime output graph by leaving the light on, and plotting the lux number each 15 minutes. Ten minutes might be better. As output diminishes your lux numbers will go down, and voila you will have the first ever runtime graph for an M60, and M30 if you do that one too. If you don't want to do a graph just write the lux number down for every 10 or 15 minutes and we can do our own graph. We will be able to accurately see how long the M60 runs in flat regulation (or otherwise) before output drops off significantly. Info on the M30 would be valuable too.

Bill

+1, very interested in runtime output graph for both modules, we could then tell how LA performs with various battery setups. :popcorn:

gsnorm, good report, thanks for your time and input.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Great post,thought it was hard enough getting a M60 series.All work and no play makes jack a dull boy:hairpull:...gl,gene.

Rat6P

Enlightened
Nice work!
Was wondering do you think the M30 would run ok on AA or AAA batts?
specifically 2xAA or 3xAAA.
I was thinking it should, maybe runtimes would differ?
Could normal Alkalines handle the job?

I ask because i currently run 2xaa batts(via spacer in tube) in my SF 9P with a led drop in to give me a useable amount of light( led dropin of course).

just thought this would be great if the AA's or AAA's could handle it as would make it a bright light aswell

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Gene's says the M30 will run at 1-4.5 volts, so two AA nimh's should run it ok, maybe about 300mA's to the led, so should be fairly bright. The "maybe" is my questimate.

Bill

gsnorm

Newly Enlightened
gsnorm, you mentioned that Gene makes an M30... does he make an M30L? Just wondering if you know...

Hey RGB_LED,haven't heard of an M30L but give Gene a call and ask him about the possibility of creating one. Gene's customer service is second to none.

gsnorm

Newly Enlightened

Bill

Sounds interesting Bill, what cell configurations do you suggest?

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Hey gsnorm, thanks for posting all the information and runtimes - they've been really helpful!

Hey RGB_LED,haven't heard of an M30L but give Gene a call and ask him about the possibility of creating one. Gene's customer service is second to none.
I fired off a note to Gene last night and he responded that he is currently working on a 3v [EDIT: Just to clarify... Gene called it a 'Medium Output M30'] drop-in... :cool::party: Unfortunately, no spec's at this time but I can hardly wait!:candle:

Last edited:

gsnorm

Newly Enlightened
Hey gsnorm, thanks for posting all the information and runtimes - they've been really helpful!

I fired off a note to Gene last night and he responded that he is currently working on a 3v low-output drop-in... :cool::party: Unfortunately, no spec's at this time but I can hardly wait!:candle:

That's great! I going to get one of those for sure:twothumbs