Fenix red filter?

Bob K

Newly Enlightened
Re: fenix red filter?

Plastic sleeve, plastic lens. I like mine for the P2D. Works great at night.

Yapo

Enlightened

"•Made with a toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating and high temperature resistance.
•The filter seat uses the material PC 2805" From https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...roducts_id=338

so i'm guessing its glass lens in plastic...i was thinking of getting one for my Olight T10 and swapping out the lense with some diffused plastic...but now that you mentioned a glass lens it might even be easier to get a UCL lens with the Light Diffusion Film if they have the correct size...

Yapo

Enlightened

Can you let me know if you find a replacement UCL lense (with diffusion)Yapo? I have a piece of diffusion film in there at the moment, but I think a lense would be better...

I'll try to measure mine and see if that helps.

BTW, here is my thread on the topic.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/186529

cool thx...didnt kno you were one step ahead of me!:thumbsup:

mwaldron

Enlightened
I had one of those for about 2 months on my EDC P2D. Although the P2D has survived extremely well in my pocket, the filter plastic shell cracked and it no longer remains on the light.

If you're just going to use it occasionally, I'd say it's AOK, but if you're going to EDC your light with the filter in place I'd suggest staying away from the Fenix filter.

lightforce2

Enlightened
Damn expensive, but this is what I'm using as I require maximum light transmision
http://www.hoyafilter.com/

dbs_wf.jpg

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at flashlightlens.com for the correct size LDF lens to fit but no luck. Hopefully Fenix will produce one.

lightforce2

Enlightened
The deerelight DBS (left) has the stock glass removed and replaced by the Hoya K2 46mm glass which I took out of its steel frame. It was only just big enough to fit into the bezel, I needed to carefully attach it to the reflector with a little silicone glue http://www.hoyafilter.com/products/hoya/cf-06.html

The Wolf Eyes Shark HID has a 77mm K2 filter which is in its threaded frame and is screwed into the bezel. the thread was a little short so I wrapped black electrical tape around the bezel to seal it where the crenulated bezels are

I ordered them through my local camera store, by memory they were aprox AUS$40 to $60

Last edited:

Tomcat!

Enlightened
I bought a Fenix red filter when they first came out and was rather disappointed. The filter colour was far too light, and compared to the red Surefire and Mag filters I have it looked positively orange. Because of the amount of light allowed out, especially in the hotspot, I'm not convinced this filter is as good for my night vision as the other red filters. Hopefully Fenix have made the later run units a much deeper shade. I gave up using it in the end because of the colour. I also found that the filter did not fit as many Fenix lights as the dealer advertised. There's quite a variation of head widths across the range and it fell off things like the L1T & L2T. It's fine with the P2&3D's but is a tight fit on the P1D.

Daekar

Enlightened
I bought a Fenix red filter when they first came out and was rather disappointed. The filter colour was far too light, and compared to the red Surefire and Mag filters I have it looked positively orange. Because of the amount of light allowed out, especially in the hotspot, I'm not convinced this filter is as good for my night vision as the other red filters. Hopefully Fenix have made the later run units a much deeper shade. I gave up using it in the end because of the colour. I also found that the filter did not fit as many Fenix lights as the dealer advertised. There's quite a variation of head widths across the range and it fell off things like the L1T & L2T. It's fine with the P2&3D's but is a tight fit on the P1D.

That's funny... I've bought 5 L2D-CEs for family and 4 different red filters. All of them were dark red and all of them seemed to fit very snugly... it actually has never occured to me to worry about them falling off. It sounds like maybe you got a bad one?

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Oops, I forgot to say I also have (or have given away) a few L2D-CEs and R100s and they fitted fine. It's the L1T and L2Ts that are marginally narrower. You wouldn't notice unless you either measured them or tried to put their filter on, but it's enough that the filter would drop straight off if you tilt the torch below horizontal. I don't suppose it matters much now as those are old lights and you can always wrap a little tape around the head to made up the difference.

I was more concerned about the shade of red when compared to my other deep red filters. I did read a few 'orange' comments when Fenix first brought theirs out so I wasn't the only one. I'm guessing that because they are always listening to the customers and are pretty quick to implement changes, Fenix might have tweaked the shade on the next run to keep customers happy.

Yapo

Enlightened
the older lights are 20mm diameter such as LxP/LxT... all the newer lights are 21mm that includes LxTv2.0 & the LxD/PxD

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
The shade is definitely an orange-red. The filter is all light-weight plastic, and potentially vulnerable to crushing and drops. A metal filter cap with rubbery inside layer for slight universal fit would be nice, but I doubt Fenix would do it.