Stock LED Maglight lumens?

BrokenMosin

Newly Enlightened
I've a 2 and a 4 D-cell MagLite with the LED drop-ins. What are the stock lumen ratings for these things? I'm wondering because I'm kinda disappointed with them.

As far as LED flashlights I have a couple of PalmBlaze (130 lumen) and a Rock River (Nuwai - 75 Lumen) light. I've got to say that I think the 75 lumen 2AA Target brand Rock River is brighter than either of the MagLites.

This may, of course, be my perception of the light, but there it is.

I've done a search but was unable to find an answer to this question.

Thanks.

jake25

Enlightened
I've a 2 and a 4 D-cell MagLite with the LED drop-ins. What are the stock lumen ratings for these things? I'm wondering because I'm kinda disappointed with them.

As far as LED flashlights I have a couple of PalmBlaze (130 lumen) and a Rock River (Nuwai - 75 Lumen) light. I've got to say that I think the 75 lumen 2AA Target brand Rock River is brighter than either of the MagLites.

This may, of course, be my perception of the light, but there it is.

I've done a search but was unable to find an answer to this question.

Thanks.
If i remember the 2D INCAN is rated at 75 lumens by maglite, which would probably diminish very quickly

i would say maybe 100 lumens w/ a good run time from the LED.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The 2D should be around 50-55 lumen out the front, and the 4D should be around 60(output is approximation from the info FLR gives). This is before the drop-in self dims from heat. Output drops by around 50%.

You can double the output by swapping in a current gen LED. The Seoul P4 works best for replacing Luxeons. Mod here.

This Riverrock right? That's around 60 lumen out the front. Swapping in a current gen LED will double the output with no less runtime.

With the current gen LEDs and good NiMh batteries, it's possible to get 100 lumen from 1 AA battery.

:welcome:

Last edited:

BrokenMosin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick info!

The drop-ins were MagLite brand.

After perusing these forums I realize that I'm not on the cutting edge of what is capable in LED technology.

My rockriver 2aa light is, how do you describe it, nicely bright and useful, although the tailcap switch could be better. My PalmBlaze is awesome! although the batteries are pricey.

The MagLites are for my father. They were primarily so that he wouldn't have to buy batteries as often as with the incandescent versions. The batteries should last much longer than normal, I was just disappointed with the light output.

I'll be buying a Fenix as soon as I can, although it may be a little bit.

Gunner12 - what about that RiverRock LED swap?

Thanks

Broken

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can double the output by swapping in a current gen LED. The Seoul P4 works best for replacing Luxeons. Mod here.
After I swapped out the stock Luxeon III emitter in my 4 cell Mag LED "upgrade" for a Seoul P4 USX0H bin it puts out more light than even my Fenix L2D-CE Q5 in turbo (at least at the start).

Look at the bounce tests in my comparison thread here. One thing to note is the 4D Maglight in those has a MOP metal reflector from www.KaiDomain.com and a UCL lens from www.flashlightlens.com, but that shouldn't change the outcome that much.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
FLR overall output conversion #s
LED lights: multiply the Overall Output chart number x 1.39
Incandescent lights: multiply the Overall Output chart number x 1.62
http://flashlightreviews.com/features/output_vs_throw.htm#lumens

3-D incan: 23.00*1.62=37.26 lumens
4-D incan: 38.00*1.62=61.56 lumens
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_3d.htm

2-D LED: 38.00*1.39=52.82 lumens
3-D LED: 47.50*1.39=66.025 lumens
4-D LED: 43.00*1.39=59.77 lumens
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

sabre7

Enlightened
FLR overall output conversion #s
LED lights: multiply the Overall Output chart number x 1.39
Incandescent lights: multiply the Overall Output chart number x 1.62
http://flashlightreviews.com/features/output_vs_throw.htm#lumens

3-D incan: 23.00*1.62=37.26 lumens
4-D incan: 38.00*1.62=61.56 lumens
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_3d.htm

2-D LED: 38.00*1.39=52.82 lumens
3-D LED: 47.50*1.39=66.025 lumens
4-D LED: 43.00*1.39=59.77 lumens
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

Old numbers- from what year 1985? :candle: Much higher LED outputs available now in the 21st century with better drop ins.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't remember seeing a specific thread reguarding the Riverrock(X-3) LED swap, but it should be something like this.

1) Open up the light to access the LED(probably just unscrew the bezel).
2) Unsolder the Luxeon III.
3) Clean up the heatsink pad.
4) Place a bit of thermal glue/epoxy on the heatsink area(where the older LED was). Enough so the base if the LED will be isolated from the heatsink.
5) Place the Seoul P4 U-bin to where the Luxeon III was.
6) Solder the LED in(make sure the polarity is right)
7) Reassemble the light.

The above seem to be how most of the Luxeon to Seoul swap goes.

As for the output, I rounded them to the nearest 5 lumen.

cfromc

Enlightened
Old numbers- from what year 1985? :candle: Much higher LED outputs available now in the 21st century with better drop ins.

I thought those numbers were for stock Maglite lights (or Maglite drop-ins) and I bet they are still current.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Review dates:

3/4D: June 2005
MagLED: July 2006

Maflite has not used any of the current gen LEDs. The drop-ins use the Luxeon III, which probably haven't improved much since 2006.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original question was for the Stock LED Maglight drop in.
Mag is still using ye olde 3 watt Luxeon. :shakehead:thumbsdow
I was just throwing in the incan #s for reference.

Note the OP has a 75 lumen River Rock that is brighter than his great big MagLEDs. Now he knows why.

BTW I just ordered a SSC P7 torch. I think my MagLED 2C is gonna become a shelf queen.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TerraLux 3D dropin is supposedly rated @ around 130~140 Lumen... I also have an official MAG-LED drop in which was supposed to be around 80~100 Lumen IIRC, side-by-side the Terralux has a different hue but a slightly brighter light (and inherent hotspot) though barely noticeable... I'll soon be dumping the U-bin SSC dropin in favour of a DIY regulated P7 adaption :twothumbs

Here's a little ceiling bounce test I conducted with new Duracell Alkaline cells 3D...

6exbvsmagleddo3.jpg

Hope this helps somewhat :)

Last edited:

Gearhead Jim

Newly Enlightened
I found a listing for the current 4-C Maglite LED complete flashlight as 122 lumens. Two days ago at Home Depot I bought a genuine Maglite LED module to replace the incandescent bulb in my 4-C, it seems somewhat brighter than my G2L which is rated at 80 lumens, so I think the 122 rating is in the ballpark.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
These bounce pictures might help clear up some of the confusion / questions over the output of the Mag LED drop-in.

2D Mag Incan stock (stock SMO & Plastic lens):
mag2dstockincanbp8.jpg

2D Mag with stock Mag LED drop-in (stock SMO & Plastic lens):
mag2ddropinstockxb9.jpg

2D Mag with Mag LED drop-in modded to SSC P4 USX0H (stock SMO & Plastic lens):
mag2ddropinsscmodkn4.jpg

As you can see even the standard Mag LED drop-in is a very big improvement over the stock incan 2D bulb.

You can also compare these 3 2D Mag configurations to most of the other lights I have (Deree CL1H v3, Fenix L2D P4, Q5, RB100, Rexlight 2.1, Jetbeam C-LE v1.0, MagLED 2AA, MagLED 3AA, and a lot of other lights) here.